(Official) What WP needs to succeed

WhippedKream

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Honestly just adding colored backgrounds would make that much of a difference to WP, and I think that's all the start screen would need to make it feel more "you". I like that idea a bit. Each phone looks nicer with certain colors I find, and for me it'd be black on red only because I have the HTC 8x :)

ryker002

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
RE: Windows Phone 8 NEEDS backgrounds! WP8 is getting boring!

A good start would be allowing custom tiles with pictures.
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Board Express

dalydose

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
Re: Windows Phone 8 NEEDS backgrounds! WP8 is getting boring!

That would be cool...especially with the ZUNE tile vs. Xbox Music! ;)

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

The new WP8 tiles made it harder for me to find a layout I like. It's not easy to find a pleasing arrangement with the four tile sizes that have all a completely different "weight" and binding in changing tiles like Photos. Also the different colors of the Music and Games tiles don't make this easier.

But thinking that some background would solve this is in my opinion illusory. It would make things only even more complicated.

But if you look at Android or iOS there are many people who like a often chaotic and always glittery layout (glass effects, all these glass effects...) with flashy things and many different colors.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site

Sorry, but I'd rather have a black background.

White seems too bright, and pictures? Space, effects, tiles.
The reason behind the lagginess of Symbian^3 was the slow CPUs, and having Theme Effects on (with an actual background) only worsened that.
It was also said that Aero decreased battery life of laptops running on Windows Vista. This is the same effect, by the way.

Though, I admit that concept pic looked GORGEOUS.

BHFH

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site

While transparent tiles look pretty cool, I doubt MS will implement it as they just got rid of Aero for Win8. I wouldn't mind if you can *really* choose the size of the tiles, thinking of tetris.

ololmarc

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site

playing with a rom for 7.8 with a blue background rather than dark/light, it truly adds more character to the platform.
I agree with OP in adding colors to wp8. It will be a substantial change and will add more personalization to the phones.

jlynnm350z

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I love Windows backgrounds. Its so cool. Just because no background on home screen. Let me guess you want a picture behind your messaging too, and your e-mail, how about when you turn your phone off there is a nice background. C'mon man really? Nothing is ever good enough for some people. Have to complain about something. It doesn't get more personal than a Windows phone.

WittZi

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Re: (Official) Why I don't like WP8 Part 2 (What WP needs to succeed)

I've actually put this in a post regarding the Lumia 920 specifically, but I've amended it to remove the Nokia specific stuff here:

1. The photos are soft and lack sharpness or clarity (across all WP8 handsets - seems the camera software is at fault). Stupid things like not being able to enable / disable location tagging from within the actual camera app also makes me realise that they just don’t know what they’re doing.
2. The fact that it freezes monumentally, frequently and in different ways. So far the hardware buttons at the bottom have frozen, but the screen is usable or vice versa! Either way you have to press volume down and power for ages and then it finally resets itself as you can do nothing else.
3. No ability to lock the orientation of the phone. As I often like to read articles in bed this is an absolute nightmare for me.
4. The browser is so bad that it actually makes me want to punch the handset in the face. I can’t even be bothered to go into the various reasons that make it bad, but it is awful. No back or forward buttons, terrible rendering, incompatibility with EVERYTHING … I could go on.
5. Often when using a WiFi connection at a hotel there is a requirement to log in using their custom web login page. Of the 3 hotels that I have had the handset, it has only worked with one.
6. No fixed status bar if you would like it to be fixed. Battery indicator is woefully inadequate and third-party apps that address this do not update reliably.
7. Terrible integration of external services. Can’t push to G+ for most apps and often can’t even push to email and only get the facebook option.
8. No unified notification area. I cant even ask for a different tone for WhatsApp which makes it all the worse.
9. Outlook.com account doesn’t allow you to import your addresses from your address book! WTF!? Also the mail client looks awful and I find it totally unusable. I’ve barely checked my email on the move since owning this phone as it’s so bad.
10. Cant turn off ringtone and vibrate from the main menu. You can obviously turn one of the other off from the volume menu … but who cares if you want to turn both off it’s a boring 7 presses, touches or swipes!
11. When in a call, if you try and switch to another app (to find a contact, etc ...) it throws you back into the call screen without any warning. Infuriating.
12. Calendar is relatively primitive, with month view showing just a few letters rather than highlighting events.
13. Sharing a contact via SMS fails. I only tried this twice, but both times the message would not send and I had full signal.
14. Windows Store appears to be down with relative frequency. If it happens regularly with Google Play or the AppStore it's not something that I have previously witnessed, but have done on numerous occasions within the short time I've had the Lumia (I appreciate that this is not a Nokia issue, but it's continues to detract from the overall package).
15. Native media players are awful. No ability to drag the progress bar to fast forward videos or songs, although this is inconsistent. You can drag the progress bar of locally saved videos, but not streaming videos. Completely unable to do so on XBox Music or Nokia Music though; whether local content or streaming.
16. XBox music has a really attractive interface but it's almost unusable. It doesn't display track listings, you cant navigate around quickly, etc.
17. Lack of volume control within Apps and for notifications / ringtones. It's almost unworkable if you use your phone as a true multimedia device.
18. No indication of which Apps you have purchased on the Windows store. If you buy lots of Apps (as I do), you forget which ones you have bought / downloaded.
19. No ability to kill apps. I don't care how clever the OS thinks it is, if I want something killed - let me do it! Even if it's just removed from the running list as it's a core App or service.
20. White or Black solid backgrounds are too limiting. I struggle to read white on black, but the black on white just makes the interface look atrocious. That means I have to choose between either usability or my friends ruining me for having a phone that looks ridiculous!

tekhna

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site

I love Windows backgrounds. Its so cool. Just because no background on home screen. Let me guess you want a picture behind your messaging too, and your e-mail, how about when you turn your phone off there is a nice background. C'mon man really? Nothing is ever good enough for some people. Have to complain about something. It doesn't get more personal than a Windows phone.

C'mon man, really? Anything is more personal than Windows Phone.

Residing

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site

Something like this would be AMAZING!
View attachment 28345

Yeah; I believe Brandon Minneman of Pocketnow.com created this concept/image when WP7 first hit back in 2010. Microsoft hasn't implemented it after all of this time, and probably won't, which is fine with me. But it is a nice concept.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Too many people on this forum just don't understand the difference between "need" and "want".

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon