(Official) What WP needs to succeed

grapemanca

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
I'd like it to be a powerful media machine, and not just a phone and camera OS. For me to stick with WP8 after my Nokia 920 contract is finished, it needs a dead simple way to play videos on TV's via a simple cable. It should also have a simple media purchasing system like iTunes (esp. for movies and TV) ; I hear it may be coming via Xbox. Do those two things and I'll stay with WP.

Dadstar0410

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I think we should all email this thread to Microsoft's Windows Phone division and make magic happen. What say you?
Edit: I created a new idea in UserVoice and told them to check this thread out for more ideas. Hope that helps and i suggest you guys vote my idea up (mine talks about bringing more value adds into WP. Sorry if you don't agree, but I still did include the link to this thread if that helps). I was going to email them, but they don't have an email listed under Contact Us in Windows Phone, so I did it this way.

Last edited:

Narinder Kumar

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
poor app support on window phones

hi everyone i bought lumia 620 2 months ago its very good phone but doesn't play video formats like (mkv& flv) mostly new videos & movies comes in this format .they provide a payer named yx player which play mkv format but the problem is its paid (a single player which is paid now u think its not irritating thing)
if u take example of Samsung cheaper android phone like galaxy y it plays all format videos because of good app support .
if we talk about price galaxy y price approximately Rs 5000 & lumia price approximately 13000.
if we take another example of apps in android they provides millions of apps for free .

so please think about this

nishant786

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Re: poor app support on window phones

Actually you should have thought about it. Because i know i did. I chose the OS for what it was not what any other os was. WP has all the apps i need and more importantly they are richer. And other apps are coming everyday.
And i for one don't mind paying for good quality apps. And i hope the kind of "free" apps Android has never come to WP.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

I have thought about it.

Have you read a single review about the Lumia 620?

Windows Phone 8 app selection is still very limited

Nokia Lumia 620 Review | Mobile Phones | CNET UK

Getting more apps is simply a case of finding and downloading them from the Nokia or Windows Phone 8 app stores, and while the selection isn't close to what's available on Android or iOS, it's still quite reasonable, with apps to suit most needs.

Nokia Lumia 620 review: Maps and apps | Phone Reviews | TechRadar

Just to choose two randomly.

Think about this.

onlinespending

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
I just bought a Lumia 1020 for my girlfriend as she is big into photography. I've played a lot with it and am really impressed! I was a webOS devotee, and have dabbled with both Android and iOS and currently use an iPhone. And I have to say, that the Windows Phone interface is gorgeous. I love the use of whitespace, typography, and big pictures. App support isn't bad at all (with more coming around the corner), and I love the various app hubs (People app is very well done with Facebook integration). I could totally see myself making the switch myself soon, if it weren't for a few missing features. Many of which are real head-scratchers.

Can't save attachments from emails to the phone (this has got to be the strangest one of them all. I sent a video to my girlfriend and she can't even save it to share with her friends. She can view the attachment, but can't save it. And considering how the Windows Phone comes with Office and sort of touts itself as a phone that's solid at productivity, how can the fail to include the ability to save attachments, so you can edit them, and send them to someone else?)
Notification system is lacking. There's no central place for me to see my missed texts, emails, calls, etc. Sure I can check the lock screen or my homescreen, but that's just going to give me a count, unless I blow up the tiles (and that just shows the latest one). It'd be nice to have a central hub to really see the content and act on it accordingly. The notification system is antiquated (reminds me of something from iOS 3)
No way to quickly toggle vibrate. I have to dig deep into the settings menu. Same can be said for WiFi, Bluetooth, and the GDR3 rotation lock (about time this was added). Considering this was a huge complaint of iOS for the longest time, Microsoft had an opportunity to hear those complaints and include solutions to the limitations of its competitors in its own product. Fail.
API locked down. If Microsoft didn't restrict access to some much through its APIs, developers could really expand on the functionality of the phone including filling some of the gaps left by Microsoft. Seems like an opportunity to not only attract more developers but also generate more user interest towards WP8.

Other gripes are the fact that the search button is not contextual, meaning it isn't aware of the app you're running and open search for just it. And the volume is not separated for ringtone, system sounds, and media. And I just read that emails are threaded simply by matching the Subject field (so an email from someone 3 years ago that wrote 'hi' as the subject will be threaded with a new email with the same subject). That's just amateurish on the part of Microsoft.

But otherwise, it's a promising OS and one that I really want to see succeed.

FearL0rd

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site

hi everyone i bought lumia 620 2 months ago its very good phone but doesn't play video formats like (mkv& flv) mostly new videos & movies comes in this format .they provide a payer named yx player which play mkv format but the problem is its paid (a single player which is paid now u think its not irritating thing)
if u take example of Samsung cheaper android phone like galaxy y it plays all format videos because of good app support .
if we talk about price galaxy y price approximately Rs 5000 & lumia price approximately 13000.
if we take another example of apps in android they provides millions of apps for free .

For videos try this buddy
http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-phone-apps/249123-moliplayer-pro.html

FearL0rd

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I just bought a Lumia 1020 for my girlfriend as she is big into photography. I've played a lot with it and am really impressed! I was a webOS devotee, and have dabbled with both Android and iOS and currently use an iPhone. And I have to say, that the Windows Phone interface is gorgeous. I love the use of whitespace, typography, and big pictures. App support isn't bad at all (with more coming around the corner), and I love the various app hubs (People app is very well done with Facebook integration). I could totally see myself making the switch myself soon, if it weren't for a few missing features. Many of which are real head-scratchers.

Can't save attachments from emails to the phone (this has got to be the strangest one of them all. I sent a video to my girlfriend and she can't even save it to share with her friends. She can view the attachment, but can't save it. And considering how the Windows Phone comes with Office and sort of touts itself as a phone that's solid at productivity, how can the fail to include the ability to save attachments, so you can edit them, and send them to someone else?)
Notification system is lacking. There's no central place for me to see my missed texts, emails, calls, etc. Sure I can check the lock screen or my homescreen, but that's just going to give me a count, unless I blow up the tiles (and that just shows the latest one). It'd be nice to have a central hub to really see the content and act on it accordingly. The notification system is antiquated (reminds me of something from iOS 3)
No way to quickly toggle vibrate. I have to dig deep into the settings menu. Same can be said for WiFi, Bluetooth, and the GDR3 rotation lock (about time this was added). Considering this was a huge complaint of iOS for the longest time, Microsoft had an opportunity to hear those complaints and include solutions to the limitations of its competitors in its own product. Fail.
API locked down. If Microsoft didn't restrict access to some much through its APIs, developers could really expand on the functionality of the phone including filling some of the gaps left by Microsoft. Seems like an opportunity to not only attract more developers but also generate more user interest towards WP8.

Other gripes are the fact that the search button is not contextual, meaning it isn't aware of the app you're running and open search for just it. And the volume is not separated for ringtone, system sounds, and media. And I just read that emails are threaded simply by matching the Subject field (so an email from someone 3 years ago that wrote 'hi' as the subject will be threaded with a new email with the same subject). That's just amateurish on the part of Microsoft.

But otherwise, it's a promising OS and one that I really want to see succeed.

When you send a attachment it will open the associated application and there you can save it. for example .doc will open word and that there u tap in the (...) and Save as...

onlinespending

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
When you send a attachment it will open the associated application and there you can save it. for example .doc will open word and that there u tap in the (...) and Save as...

I sent her a video and we were only able to play it, not save it to the phone. If there's a way to do so, I'd love to know. Perhaps Word will allow you to do so, but not the video player?

While I don't disagree that threading on subject isn't the best way to go, do you have 3 years worth of email on your phone? ^_^

Yeah, it doesn't affect me personally, but just reflects poorly on the software implementation. The more I've played with it I've noticed it lacking more basic features. Like I said, I absolutely love the WP8 interface and many of its rich features. But I think Microsoft's philosophy (and any company for that matter) should be to avoid frustrating its users by the omission of fundamental features. I mean, there's no shortcuts. You have to get the basics down pat immediately before you can start building on that. No excuse not to be able to easily save and send attachments. No excuse not to have independent volume controls. And the latest gem I discovered; you can't (at least not reliably) send videos in an MMS. My girlfriend took a 30 second video of our dog and wasn't able to attach it to a message. A cursory search seems to suggest we need to reduce the size. What? Every phone OS that I am aware of compresses a video to fit it within the file size limits of an MMS. This is a fundamental function that MS has failed to offer. It's inexcusable. Fix these 3 issues MS and I'd join your camp in a heart beat.

Stokesperc1

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
I'm one of those who likes to listen to music albums. Gapless playback would be sweet.
As well do I.

I love my Lumia but I love music even more. This drives me crazy every day, since I use my phone as my main music player. Please, I beg of you, Microsoft gods, if your listening, please fix. Most people expect to use there phone as a music player. This feature needs to be a good experience for them or they will not stick with the platform. I'm not jumping ship but my sanity will benefit the sooner this is fixed.

PS wpcetral rocks my world

propeller10

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
Windows Phone desperately needs a notifications center.

I think WP OS desperately needs notifications center. Now I know most of you are going to say the Home screen acts as a notification center. But It is not effective. I see it as a home screen that shows live updates. I feel like all other mobile OSes do a better job at delivering/organizing notifications. I've been using a blackberry z10 for a while and BB hub handles notifications way better compared to WP.

I think swiping to the right from the home screen should bring up a notification center.

Dadstar0410

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
As well do I.

I love my Lumia but I love music even more. This drives me crazy every day, since I use my phone as my main music player. Please, I beg of you, Microsoft gods, if your listening, please fix. Most people expect to use there phone as a music player. This feature needs to be a good experience for them or they will not stick with the platform. I'm not jumping ship but my sanity will benefit the sooner this is fixed.

PS wpcetral rocks my world

I've had gapless playback since GDR2.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Windows Phone desperately needs a notifications center.

I think, maybe, you should have a blog. Either that or you should search the forums for the 1000 or so other threads on this topic.

propeller10

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
Re: Windows Phone desperately needs a notifications center.

I think, maybe, you should have a blog. Either that or you should search the forums for the 1000 or so other threads on this topic.

Even though I am a long time member, I haven't browsed wp forums in a while. Good to know it is one of the most requested features.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes