What's wrong with using the Facebook touch web app?

snaqvi91

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
A lot of people find the lack of a decent official Facebook app for Windows Phone to be disappointing. There's the website touch.facebook.com which is basically a web based app that looks very similar to the Android and iOS apps except it runs in the browser. Sure there aren't notifications but the Me tile has Facebook notifications right? You can make a tile out of the website like I have for the Pulse website on my Windows 8 device and it looks very similar to an app icon. It's also kind of reassuring that you will have rock solid stability in a web app but maybe that's just what I think. So for regular Facebook users (not heavy ones), what problems are there with this set up? Me tile for notifications, Messaging app for Facebook chat and Facebook touch web app for regular Facebook access.

I think Windows is lucky to some extent in that it has Internet Explorer 10. This is what Pulse has to say about it:
In researching our options, we quickly realized Internet Explorer 10 truly was the best and only option if we were going to do this right. We weren't sure whether this would really work, and honestly, we were a little skeptical. But after speaking with the team at IE and the developer team at Pixel Lab, we were blown away with what IE10 could bring to the table.

Flagz

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
I bought the Facebook Touch Pro app, which is basically the web app a little more cleaned up from my experience bit it cost a dollar and has a icon and launches like an app

danwanna

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
The only thing that doesn't work for me on the mobile site (or FB Touch Pro) is clicking on a notification and being taken to the post in question. It just closes the notification window but that is all.

Venugopal Jakhotiya

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
The only thing that doesn't work for me on the mobile site (or FB Touch Pro) is clicking on a notification and being taken to the post in question. It just closes the notification window but that is all.
yeah.. thats weird.. coz a couple of days ago i accessed the touch facebook site and the notification thing was working..
but today.. as is my habit.. i typed fb.com on IE and it took me to the touch facebook site and the address bar still said m.facebook.com.. and on this site the notification problem started showing up...

Mio_Ray

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
Wuhuu. Nice tip. Totally forgot about that touch site. It is awesome now!
Sent from my Lumia 920 using Board Express

WPenvy

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site
The classic web 2.0 format of m.facebook.com was thoroughly enjoyed by myself. This new UI is horrible. The transition happened for me over the course of a single day (various links would use the new UI). I'm not redirected to notification links, messages, or profiles sending a friend request - basically all the stuff at the top doesn't work as its supposed to.

I filed a bug report but I'm sure they'll need more to take notice. I guess I'll finally start making use of the actual app. Thank god the last update has stepped up performance considerably.

iknowsingh

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
I have tried accessing it through m.facebook.com but it redirects me to the touch site.. pretty frustrating..
also all the photos are being cropped from the right side..

I realize on my Lumia 920, m.facebook is now exactly the same as touch.facebook... but on my old HTC Arrive, m.facebook takes to the old-style Facebook mobile site that we're used to. It seems they may be taking the user agent strings and redirecting them to the sites they feel are appropriate.

So Windows Phone 7 devices should still be on the old-styled m.facebook, and Windows Phone 8 devices should be using the new-styled m/touch.facebook layout according to what I've noticed.

Regardless, the new style has quite a few bugs and needs to be worked out better. I'm sure they work just fine in Android/iOS, but I doubt they tested in WP IE10 :(

Venugopal Jakhotiya

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I realize on my Lumia 920, m.facebook is now exactly the same as touch.facebook... but on my old HTC Arrive, m.facebook takes to the old-style Facebook mobile site that we're used to. It seems they may be taking the user agent strings and redirecting them to the sites they feel are appropriate.

So Windows Phone 7 devices should still be on the old-styled m.facebook, and Windows Phone 8 devices should be using the new-styled m/touch.facebook layout according to what I've noticed.

Regardless, the new style has quite a few bugs and needs to be worked out better. I'm sure they work just fine in Android/iOS, but I doubt they tested in WP IE10 :(

they work well on Android and iOS and the touch site used to be almost without bugs when i used to access it a few days ago.. but this new version seems frustratingly buggy..

iosub

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Hi

All of you are you with wp8 with portico update ?

I have a htc8x with portico and the pictures show up on fb timeline in low resolution.

On the other phone 920 without portico they show ok.

I have try to find on the htc8x the new option of portico on IE to download pictures but I can't find it...

Thanks

iknowsingh

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Hi

All of you are you with wp8 with portico update ?

I can say that I have Portico (AT&T-branded 920 on StraightTalk), and it might be because I believe IE was updated slightly in Portico (I could be wrong). I remember reading something somewhere saying that there were small fixes for IE in the update.

iosub

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
I can say that I have Portico (AT&T-branded 920 on StraightTalk), and it might be because I believe IE was updated slightly in Portico (I could be wrong). I remember reading something somewhere saying that there were small fixes for IE in the update.
So you also see the pictures in low resolution?

Do you have the option on IE to don't download pictures ?
Thanks

WPenvy

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site
So you also see the pictures in low resolution?

Do you have the option on IE to don't download pictures ?
Thanks

No AND we still have option to "view full size photo".

I also just noticed that because we can't pinch-zoom with the new website, I can't browse Facebook while on the phone. -_-

Last edited:

iosub

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
yes we still have option to "view full size photo".

I also just noticed that because we can't pinch-zoom with the new website, I can't browse Facebook while on the phone. -_-

This is just for touch.facebook.com

If you go to the touch.Facebook.com menu and select desktop Facebook.. You can see the pictures is high resolution.. So this is a bug on fb,touch with portico..

We should send a feedback to fb.

WPenvy

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site
This is just for touch.facebook.com

If you go to the touch.Facebook.com menu and select desktop Facebook.. You can see the pictures is high resolution.. So this is a bug on fb,touch with portico..

We should send a feedback to fb.

what?... No, I mean pics are still viewed in seemingly high res

WPenvy

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site
Good news. As of this evening the stuff at the top is working like its supposed to. Notifications, messages and friend requests too

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes