Is anyone else not really concerned about WP8 app count?

Seismo

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
No American Express app.
No SiriusXM app.
Those are 2 big misses for me, along with my credit union's app that I had on my iPhone.
That wouldn't be such a big deal except on the iPhone app I could deposit a check by snapping a photo of it. Can't do that through the mobile website.

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
No American Express app.
No SiriusXM app.
Those are 2 big misses for me, along with my credit union's app that I had on my iPhone.
That wouldn't be such a big deal except on the iPhone app I could deposit a check by snapping a photo of it. Can't do that through the mobile website.

Those are what I refer to as Tier 2 apps. They're the bulk of any app store, and the ones that are more geared towards individuals as opposed to the tier1 big name apps like Facebook that most phones share in common. The problem with smaller app stores is that there aren't enough tier 2 apps to suit each individual. Like your example. You may want American express. I may want a certain bank. Etc etc.

Tier 2 apps are the meat and potatoes of an app store. Now surely not every person cares about that. But the majority of people do care. If tier 2 developers don't come to a phone's user base, that app store doesn't grow and that phone doesn't sell widely. If the phone isn't selling widely, the tier 2 developers aren't enticed to come. You can see how this now becomes a catch 22 loop.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I love using the "app argument" with friends who use iOS and Android.

"I just cannot use that phone. There are no good apps. No Xbox Music, no Weave, no Fhotoroom, no HTC Hub, no Microsoft Office. All the apps that I want and use everyday simply aren't available on that phone -- there's no way I can use it!"

They scramble to explain how there are substitutes, and I say "a copy isn't as good as the real thing."

Only a few of them get how I'm pulling their leg (and making a point). ;)

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I love using the "app argument" with friends who use iOS and Android.

"I just cannot use that phone. There are no good apps. No Xbox Music, no Weave, no Fhotoroom, no HTC Hub, no Microsoft Office. All the apps that I want and use everyday simply aren't available on that phone -- there's no way I can use it!"

They scramble to explain how there are substitutes, and I say "a copy isn't as good as the real thing."

Only a few of them get how I'm pulling their leg (and making a point). ;)

That's a bit like saying
"bro, doesn't your Xbox have Centipede? Space Invaders? Ugh my Atari has that."
Apart from Office nobody's going to care if you have apps that they have never heard of and have better ones of. And I daresay out of the total sum of smartphone buyers and users, Office on a 4.x" screen isn't topping many priority lists.
That's like showing up at pre-school with a 'Farby' trying to impress the other kids with a Furby :D

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
80-90% of apps for every ecosystem is garbage. So even with WP "small" offerings that leaves about 25K good apps. That's good. How many do we need? Geez. With that said, even the most popular apps, like Facebook, aren't as good on WP compared to other platforms but it's improving.

msi31684

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
very true...we who use WP are never bothered about it...they dun have some cool apps which WP has...why people dun write about tht...these people with fixation of app sucks including my best friends...people are so fool that they want to spend **** of money for cheap plastic like SG 3 or lest innovative and useful crapple phone....hope this trend changes with WP8 phones...the biggest obstacle in selling WP is carrier representatives...they dun knw anything about WP...they will keep promoting android...y cant people see tht when android or ios came to market they had very few apps...it took android 4 years to increase app store at this level...its damn frustrating to see...nokia should adopt low price point strategy for india and china like they did in US to increase sales...Lumia 620 looks best for penetrating emerging market...hope they launch high end 920 with reasonable price and not crapple price...

msi31684

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I think there might be other factors involved in quantity of devices sold. I would say that investment in ecosystem, availability of devices (Spec Wars), sales reps opinions, even things like WIFI tethering being free when hacked on Android device, their are many more and they all play a part in device sales. Saying that if people don't buy WP's its just because of apps is an unrealistic view. IMHO

Sales reps view my foot...dun give damn about what they think...WIFI tethering is ther on WP without doing any hacks or jailbreaks...the main reason people not buying is app...every review u read..pros will be all features and cons will be lesser apps...wht kind of reviewers bloggers we have today everyone knows....people like u with limited knowledge about platform are the reason...thts y the name comes isheep...they just follow others...dun think whts good...iphone is nothing but a status symbol kind of thing...people buy it to show off..Nokia came with ultimate model 920...u go n read every review written for it...cons is only less apps..

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
That's a bit like saying
"bro, doesn't your Xbox have Centipede? Space Invaders? Ugh my Atari has that."

Actually, in the 1980s, an argument against purchasing a Nintendo Entertainment System would have been "does it have Centipede? Space Invaders? Pac Man? No? Then it doesn't have the apps I need."

That's like showing up at pre-school with a 'Farby' trying to impress the other kids with a Furby :D

No, it's simply pointing out that the arguments about "app availability" are one-sided. When a popular and important app isn't available for Android or iOS, it's dismissed as "not important." Whereas, missing the latest Kardashian app means a phone is "not viable."

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon