Windows Phone Reliability

vormison

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Hello Everyone,

First let me say that I am a Windows Phone supporter- obviously. We've owned Windows Phones since WP7 was released - both my Wife and I use WPs. I doubt anyone on these boards has spent more money on applications and games than I have. I am only saying this to make everyone aware that I am not just here to whine and complain. I am here for actual input and opinions. One of the WPs we have is a Samsung Focus. This phone is a beast. Never a single issue at all. It's one of the most solid phones we've ever had.

Saying that, I semi-recently, got a Lumia 900 to hold me over until my upgrade is available with AT&T. I've had some pretty annoying issues with this phone. Nokia has been aware and acknowledged the issues that I've had months ago - vibration issues, volume issues, back button issues, touch screen issues, etc. I have even been in contact with Nokia representatives who have been told that their research and development department are aware of these issues. No updates have been released to fix these issues as of yet. Because of these issues, I've been looking at purchasing a 920. Research has led me to find out that the 920 has many issues that many people are aware of that haven't been taken care of as of yet.

So, this leads me to extraordinary worry. Nokia, being the driving force of the Windows Phone platform, seems to be producing phones that are somewhat buggy and problem-ridden. Is there any information out there as to reliability of different Windows Phone manufacturers, etc.? I can't take a hit on another faulty piece of hardware. I am not going to "jump ship to Android or iOS" but I am seriously considering a downgrade to another Samsung Focus.

Also, and I swear I don't mean to sound like a jerk, you should know that my electronics and phones are treated with insane amounts of care. I am obsessive compulsive and there is not a single scratch, nick, or anything on any of our phones.

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
It's always hit and miss when buying a new product on the market, especially one with a brand new OS. My first 920 had issues so I sent it to Nokia Care. They sent me a replacement with updated firmware and this one is problem free. You should be fine though because if you do get a 920 from AT&T it will come with the Portico update which is alleged to have fixed many issues.

MAkhdar

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
The issues with the 920 mainly seem to be with the first batch of phones. I had several issues with the one I got an launch day but after having it swapped out, I haven't had a single issue. Also the 920 is greatly improved compared to the 900, they really took some time and paid attention to detail.

WalkerHall

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure which batch my 920 is from. I got it about two weeks after they came out. I have not had any hardware issues at all. I've been very happy with the change from iPhone 4 and ios.

conanheath

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
I would wait until mid year. Hopefully there will be some more options on the table for WP8. Nokias are hit and miss right now. Some love with no problems and some loath with many problems.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
My 8X has been pretty solid after 3 weeks, did get a reboot once but nothing major. My HD7 by comparison would reboot or need to be rebooted more in that same period.

Bilal_Fakih

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
Well, i think the new Lumia 920 from AT&T with the Portico update has no issue. Thats what my friends told me and from what reading from the post. My 920 is intentional and no Portico update, and i didnt have any issue, it never freezed or anything! I can say its perfect...Anyways, yes Nokia is the best for WP and i advise you to buy Nokia Lumia 920 just make sure you have Portico update. Best of luck!!

Rich Edmonds

PC Editor
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
The issue with the first generation of hardware from Nokia was that it was rushed. They announced the partnership back in 2011 and had to get the Lumia 710 / 800 out in a timely fashion. These were followed by the Lumia 900. The current generation of hardware for Windows Phone 8 is vastly improved. Even the new handsets Nokia is releasing for Windows Phone 7.8 - they're all built on the success of older hardware, with improvements and fixes already implemented. While there are still issues that need to be addressed (when aren't there with technology?) you can be sure that the experience will be good.

vormison

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for the information everyone. I am awaiting a call from Nokia's customer service and/or research and development team regarding a replacement. I'll see if they send a new unit that hopefully alleviates some of these issues I am having. I love the Lumia, in theory, so I am waiting anxiously. If things don't go as planned, maybe I'll pick up another cheap Focus and hold off until the mid-year devices get released as conanheath mentioned.

Thank you!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon