So what happened to these top 46/50 apps promised?

jdhooghe

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I didn't pay $900 but I paid $450 while on a graduate student salary. I'm tired of the bad pdf support and the skype, both of which I do very much need :( I love my 920, I do...I'm just getting so frustrated. I do sincerely hope they do make me eat my words. I want this platform to succeed but it just seems so trivial when you know the design language, you have a software team yet we get this. It sucks because I am running out of options here. I don't want to go back to iOS, Blackberry 10 is worse off than windows phone and the only thing I have now is to take a risk in buying a nexus 4

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
I didn't pay $900 but I paid $450 while on a graduate student salary. I'm tired of the bad pdf support and the skype, both of which I do very much need :( I love my 920, I do...I'm just getting so frustrated. I do sincerely hope they do make me eat my words. I want this platform to succeed but it just seems so trivial when you know the design language, you have a software team yet we get this. It sucks because I am running out of options here. I don't want to go back to iOS, Blackberry 10 is worse off than windows phone and the only thing I have now is to take a risk in buying a nexus 4
Just make the jump. I have a 4s now after having 2 820's and 1 920, and although I still have growing pains, you get used to not having Windows Phone after about a month or two. I'm actually considering a Nexus 4 as well, for the NFC payments and better hardware, but I hate Android so much that I've held off. I do check this blog everyday, but it still feels like Windows Phone 7.X all over again, with new hardware coming out every 4 or 5 months, hardly any software updates (which are direly needed), and broken promises.WP8 is still my favorite platform, but I've accepted that, at least to me, Microsoft just doesn't get it yet...

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
I like my Lumia 920 and WP platform...but can't help being impatient
MS has failed so far to deliver but hope they r trying hard...they have missed to strike initially but really hope they make a comeback
People like the eye-catching design of both the hardware and the UI but nothing beyond that...even a 2 year old iPhone or Android device kills WP8 by the sheer plethora of apps they have
I do understand that its gonna be slow for apps to be developed...then why the f**k didn't MS release SDK earlier for app developers to start working..
Why come up with app developer challanges now why not earlier??
Questions will be asked and the best way to answer them is by releasing some ******* apps in MWC...in MWC 2013 not 2014...just wanted to clarify for folks at MS if they have other ideas..

Yes people leave and join but if Microsoft continues this way...am pretty sure many will leave and only few will join

I am not a pessimist or anti-MS...just disappointed by the overall direction and development of Windows Phone platform...its slow and lacks the efforts to overcome its competitors
You've summed up my own frustrations almost to a T. "Frustration" and "disappointment" are synonymous with "WP owner."

Just make the jump. I have a 4s now after having 2 820's and 1 920, and although I still have growing pains, you get used to not having Windows Phone after about a month or two. I'm actually considering a Nexus 4 as well, for the NFC payments and better hardware, but I hate Android so much that I've held off. I do check this blog everyday, but it still feels like Windows Phone 7.X all over again, with new hardware coming out every 4 or 5 months, hardly any software updates (which are direly needed), and broken promises.WP8 is still my favorite platform, but I've accepted that, at least to me, Microsoft just doesn't get it yet...
I jumped to iOS as well (iPhone 5). You're right about WP8 feeling like WP 7.X all over again. Two years with a WP7 was painful for me, especially never getting any post-Mango updates for my Samsung Focus. I was ready and excited about WP8's hardware - really wanted a yellow 920 - but the OS "improvements" were not very substantial IMO. Figured I send WP to the "penalty box" until the next revision of the OS is out there. At that moment I will reconsider. I'm sure there'll be new and exciting hardware as always when that time comes.

Last edited:

edoug

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
It could be worse... they could have told you you're getting them and then put them in as ported android apps running in a dodgy android emulator based on android 2.3 from 2011
But the reasons in this thread are why NEITHER platform is gaining remarkably against IOS or Android. (I know wp8 is growing at 150% or whatever, but 150% of 10 is much less than 20% of 1000)

afgzee

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft is not delivering anything, they really don't seem interested at all. It almost seems like a kids school project to them. Their Skype app is crap, their facebook app is a major let down, their pdf app doesn't deliver and they don't seem to be doing anything at all to bring them to some sort of acceptable level. Seems like the third parties and Nokia are doing all the hard work.

Simply put it we're worse than ants for Microsoft and I for sure will never be investing in Windows Phone again.

They let us down with WP7, gave them a chance with WP8, never again. They need all the support they can get, they don't want to be letting down their loyal customers or new customers, but they're doing just that.

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I swear everytime i read a thread like this, it just reminds me of impatient screaming children.

Why are you whinging on here about skype, facebook, instagram, etc. Annoy the companies themselves. Its all well and good Microsoft approaching a company and asking for an app, even offering money, but that doesn't really do much, as we've seen for the last 2+ years of Windows Phone.

What people need to do is bug all these companies. Email their customer support once a day, once a week, whatever. If the companies customer support is constantly inundated with people begging for a WP app, they'll take things a lot more seriously than Microsoft saying it.

explosive0

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I swear everytime i read a thread like this, it just reminds me of impatient screaming children.

Why are you whinging on here about skype, facebook, instagram, etc. Annoy the companies themselves. Its all well and good Microsoft approaching a company and asking for an app, even offering money, but that doesn't really do much, as we've seen for the last 2+ years of Windows Phone.

What people need to do is bug all these companies. Email their customer support once a day, once a week, whatever. If the companies customer support is constantly inundated with people begging for a WP app, they'll take things a lot more seriously than Microsoft saying it.
Skype = Microsoft. No?

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
But the reasons in this thread are why NEITHER platform is gaining remarkably against IOS or Android. (I know wp8 is growing at 150% or whatever, but 150% of 10 is much less than 20% of 1000)

mind if I borrow and modify that for all my Mobile Nations website sigs? I'm always skeptical when people use growth and "they're selling out" as discussion points. Then all I'll have to type is "hey looka my sig" lol

ny_yankees

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Where is Pandora, Microsoft? When will Skype be updated and out of beta? Funny how IOS and Android users have more features in Skype than WP8 users. So why did we bother getting a WP8 then?

JamesTBurns

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

I have a Lumia 920 and bought a Nexus 4 which have been using for three weeks. I love the hardware/design/OS on the 920, but the Nexus 4 is a great buy for many reasons...its GSM unlocked, making it easy to sell should you want to, you can experiment with different GSM carriers if they have prepaid, Google Now, ingenious 3rd party app sharing ability (I can just touch the share button on a photo and it brings up like 15 apps I can share it to instantly). Worst case, you could probably still get at least $200 for your 920, eat $100 and get the Nexus 4. Or just be patient and hope MS picks up the pace.

chenhogi

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I am not a big Instagram fan, but I realise that a lot of people are. My question is, is it that expensive and that time consuming for a developer to develop an app for WP? I am certain that both MS and Nokia have done all they can to convince the likes of Instagram to develop a WP version, and that both companies are probably willing to spend a good deal of money to make that happen.

JamesTBurns

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I am not a big Instagram fan, but I realise that a lot of people are. My question is, is it that expensive and that time consuming for a developer to develop an app for WP? I am certain that both MS and Nokia have done all they can to convince the likes of Instagram to develop a WP version, and that both companies are probably willing to spend a good deal of money to make that happen.

I know, people talk like developing a smartphone app is like making the next X-Plane or something. I don't see why cost is such an issue for 3 MB app.

dawindbag

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
I know, people talk like developing a smartphone app is like making the next X-Plane or something. I don't see why cost is such an issue for 3 MB app.

It's not that it's that expensive, it's that it's not profitable. If a company spends 3 months with 6 developers building an app it's $100-200K in costs, give or take. Most of these companies can soak up that cost without any problem, but currently on WP8 they probably aren't going to earn even half of that back. There just aren't enough people using WP8 for Instagram to justify the expense, even if they can recover 200% of that expense they still probably won't do it because there are a dozen other 3-month projects which will profit 500%. This is the basic math of business,

Most app developers are building apps for Microsoft purely as strategic plays. The money will come later if the platform grows or if there's a marketing benefit to supporting all platforms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon