Why Isn't Windows Phone Doing Better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
But more back on the subject, the other day one of my coworkers came to me to tell me about this app that could be useful for what we were doing at work. I started shaking my head as I could see his iPhone screen and the app page advertising for "iOS and Android" and told him "they don't have that for Windows Pho... And he cuts me off "yeah they do! Its for android right there!" Pointing at his screen.. "yours is android, right" "NO" I replied... "This is Windows Phone 8... And only runs apps from the Windows Phone store" He looked at me puzzled as if I were speaking a foreign language. He had no idea that a 3rd platform existed. It's really sad...

I had another similar encounter with someone else at work regarding my Surface 2. I say to this guy (a regular acquaintance I see all the time) "Have I shown you my new toy?" (Holding the surface with the purple type cover closed on it in one hand like a platter) "what is that?" He asks, peering at it with an unfamiliar eye. "A Microsoft Service??" as he misunderstands me and has no idea that it's even a tablet or any kind of computing device until I open it up and pop out the kickstand. "Oh.... It's like an ipad! That's pretty cool man, I haven't seen those!" Well..... imagine that!

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
WP will continue to grow at a very moderate pace and MS is fine with that.

I doubt whether Microsoft is fine with that. Since its release, WP has grown at roughly 1% market share per year, and according to a neowin.net projection it will continue to grow at that pace for the next 4 years at least. I'm sure that's not what Microsoft expected.

Jan Tomsic

May 8, 2013
Visit site
3. Microsoft hates the world outside the USA

This is true, and I don't know why, because M$ could really focus just on Europe, Asia and South America and dominate all markets with right devices and enough advertising. Opening M$ stores would help too. But it's really only like this with phones, computers with Windows, Office, Xbox are being sold and marketed everywhere.

MaxyBley

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
We need more phones and less exclusivity. Windows Phone is not big enough nor it has so many phones for them to be exclusive to X-carrier.

trainplane

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Windows Phone OEMs need to produce competitive phones. There is no current flagship in the US for instance that competes with the HTC One, Galaxy S5, and LG G3 except for Icon on one carrier.

But the big reason is entrancement by Android and iOS. And the only way to get out of that is Windows Phone cannot just be equal to them. They have to have a killer feature neither OS has. Currently, there is none. (I would say offline maps but not everyone cares it appears). A killer feature is the only way to make it a must have device and break through the entrenchment.

All the marketing in the world won't help you if your phone is just equal to the others in people's eyes. People don't like change unless they see a big benefit.

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
Windows Phone OEMs need to produce competitive phones. There is no current flagship in the US for instance that competes with the HTC One, Galaxy S5, and LG G3 except for Icon on one carrier.

But the big reason is entrancement by Android and iOS. And the only way to get out of that is Windows Phone cannot just be equal to them. They have to have a killer feature neither OS has. Currently, there is none. (I would say offline maps but not everyone cares it appears). A killer feature is the only way to make it a must have device and break through the entrenchment.

All the marketing in the world won't help you if your phone is just equal to the others in people's eyes. People don't like change unless they see a big benefit.
What about the 1520?

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Why Isn't Windows Phone Doing Better?

Because there is more crying and complaining than liking.

When people shop the OS and decide to read about it they see the consistent:
  • No apps
  • MSFT is lost
  • I wish Zune was back
  • Microsoft doesn't care
  • Going back to Android
  • My phone battery hates me
  • Too late to beat out anyone else
  • Each update makes the OS worse
  • The developer preview wrecked my phone

...blah...blah

With friends like this who needs enemies?
:smile:

Gustavo Pereira

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
I have one word: Microsoft. They do not strive to reach markets outside USA, dont bring consistent advances in the OS, etc. And worst of all, lack of apps. Does anyone think that Google or Apple would allow the most used app of communication in the WORLD to stay out of their stores for more than 1 week? It's absurd.

k0de

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
There is alot to it. But I believe the main issue is that real world Apps are none existing in WP and are the main deal breaker.

Every new technology is always first on iOS and Android. For example "Drones". This new technology will soon replace 90% of cameras in sports. Apps are already available on iOS.

And that's not all just think what you do for a living and search the store. Guarantee what you do exist on iOS and and Android stores but it does not exist on WP store.

There is still alot of work to do.
Just be patient the ecosystem will catch up by 2017.

HAMEDACC

May 4, 2014
Visit site

• No apps
  • MSFT is lost
  • I wish Zune was back
  • Microsoft doesn't care
  • Going back to Android

...blah...blah

there are no friends or enemies in this era, only there are Users and Features.

trainplane

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site

• No apps
  • MSFT is lost
  • I wish Zune was back
  • Microsoft doesn't care
  • Going back to Android

...blah...blah

These are things people on this forum care about. The general public has no idea about all of this. They just buy what they've been told to buy. iOS and Android have their own issues.

But again, MS can do everything right, have all the apps to make parity, and still will barely make a dent. They need a killer feature, like holographic display or something crazy that become a must have to break through the entrenchment. Something that the mainstream press, who have a cult-like love for Apple, will say is a must have feature.

BTW to the person above, 1520 is a phablet, not mainstream.

k0de

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
These are things people on this forum care about. The general public has no idea about all of this. They just buy what they've been told to buy. iOS and Android have their own issues.

But again, MS can do everything right, have all the apps to make parity, and still will barely make a dent. They need a killer feature, like holographic display or something crazy that become a must have to break through the entrenchment. Something that the mainstream press, who have a cult-like love for Apple, will say is a must have feature.

BTW to the person above, 1520 is a phablet, not mainstream.

Agree a breakthrough. Something that does not exist on other platforms. They said they will be completive by 2017. Lets see what can MSFT find in the next 3 years that other platforms will lack.

I believe in MSFT be patient untill then. If nothing is found by then; move on.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Many valid points here if you're a fan of Microsoft or a tech junkie in general. Most of the buying public has no idea what updates are, how many apps are available, etc. What they do know is what they see in displays and if there are no Windows Phones on display, then there are no questions to ask. Case in point - I was at Best Buy a few hours ago to buy some ink for my printer. Not ONE single WP device on display from the carriers. There was one peg hook with 2 Lumia 521s for T-Mobile Prepaid buried amongst Moto Gs and feature phones. Think that's gonna cut it? F**k no!

SammUL

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
It's because MS can't/won't fix the goddamn 'other' storage problem, with cache building up on the phone and eating up space... like what the hell... once they finally take responsibility and address this issue we go from 5% market to 50% on the spot =\

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
It's because MS can't/won't fix the goddamn 'other' storage problem, with cache building up on the phone and eating up space... like what the hell... once they finally take responsibility and address this issue we go from 5% market to 50% on the spot =\
It's fixed on 8.1.

Kellzea

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
It is doing better, shipments are up, even in the places it loses market share it's still grown, just as much as the market did, hence a small drop. Europe and rotw are not to be overlooked.

The smartphones race won't ever end, it's not possible to win it. Ms know this and are in it for the long run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes