Do you think there is another phone better than Lumia 920?

ljkelley

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Aren't the Lumia 920/820 the only phones that connect to both GPS and GLONASS satellitles for navigation?

Related question: Does this mean the Lumia 920 shows my location even if I am in the middle of nowhere with no cell signal, let's say in thr Arizona desert or the Siberian wilderness?

The iPhone 4S as well as other smartphones have GLONASS. So not the first.

sholokov

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
You say no other windows phone will come close like they have already released all details. Samsung didn't really say anything yet, and HTC has yet to officially demo their product. But I can see how you would be inclined to assume Nokia is the end all be all. They've done the most to really make WP an eye opener.

Sent from my PI86100 using Board Express
You are right. I am assuming that 920 is the best WP available at the moment. Other companies may top some hardware specs but the app and service support from Nokia will keep Nokia Lumia 920 in the lead.

mmacleodbrown

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Even without the touchscreen I fell in love with the live tiles and the integration with xbox, hotmail, pretty much everything about it. One of the os's i started researching was windows phone. After seeing one in use and realizing that it was like putting my desktop on a phone and carrying it around with me I was hooked.

That being said the one thing I DON'T like is the lack of file explorer and folders. Its a WINDOWS Phone... How could this not be included? Being able to put those NSFW pics or videos, even documents in a hidden folder is a must. If you want to be on top of privacy and security in your phone, this should be a standard feature now.

That is pretty much how I felt and why Im going to switch as well (from Android)
I firmly believe that it is this integration that will drive sales of WP8 just like the iphone drove sales of Macs

Good point on the folders as well....

sholokov

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
At this time, NO there is not a better Windows Phone 8 device out there right now BUT ! It's too early to ask this question.

Samsung has only showed 1 model, HTC only has 1 device shown. You need to give everyone a fair time frame to show their phones.

Ask this question 3 days before WP8 is about to be released, by then we should know all the models that will be hitting in most carriers (some carriers hold back a little but we should know most of it by then).

HTC shows on the 19th... let's talk after that. After all the Titan 2 had better specs than the Lumia 900 by far. HTC is going to have something to go head to head with the 920, count on it...
HTC has always surprised people with specs but I never liked their dull screens. Windows Phone OS is all about bright high-contrast vivid colors. If you don't get that and the black blacks on a WP screen, then you can't compete with the Lumias.

dogfish54

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
No, there is not a better phone. I really can't believe how frustrated I was with the Nokia presentation, the screw-ups and whatever non-news that came from Joe Belfiore. I have to say though, I really do feel this device stands out a long way in front of other devices. I haven't seen or held it, but reading about the big improvements in the iPhone 5, they each sound so incredibly insignificant compared to the 920.

I was initially disappointed with no SD card, but (the engineers of) this phone could already be accused of trying to pack too many things in one device.

Here are my random thoughts:

* I think the touch screen tech is a big deal, sure, Samsung will have it in two months, but it's a good improvement for all devices
* The image stabilization is a really nice addition, critical, no, but really nice.
* The screen looks like it will exceed all others
* Wireless charging
* Free turn-by-turn Navigation / City lens etc.
* Other camera stuff (pureview, lenses, other scalado tech)
* Almost guaranteed that it will receive several updates as this will be THE Nokia flagship.

I understand the ATIV has an SD card slot and will likely be available on more carriers, but Nokia has the clear advantage here not only with hardware but software.

The HTC One X has been out for some time, and it will show when this is out, I think the 920 beats out the SGSIII, and the iphone 5 ... well .. it's going to be popular no matter what.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
You say no other windows phone will come close like they have already released all details. Samsung didn't really say anything yet, and HTC has yet to officially demo their product. But I can see how you would be inclined to assume Nokia is the end all be all. They've done the most to really make WP an eye opener.
Samsung's Ativ is a repurposed Galaxy SIII through and through. I'd be willing to take a bet that HTC's Windows Phone will not pack half the unique features of the 920.

The fact of the matter is Nokia is going to be producing amazing hardware, not just because it has a great history of doing exactly that, but because it's Windows Phone exclusive and all new technologies will arrive on a Lumia, as opposed to with HTC and Samsung where we will get rehashes of six month old devices. Couple that with the valuable exclusive software, and it's hard to not count the others out.

The Accord may end up being a nicer physical device, in that it will probably be fairly thin, and smaller - personally what I want. But unfortunately for HTC, I'm willing to make a little compromise in terms of size if HTC can't match all the goodies Nokia threw in to that "fat" chassis.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
For me, the 820 is actually the better phone. Reason being, the removable battery. That is make-or-break for me. I can deal with lack of storage space (I have a TITAN 1 and just use my Zune Music Pass and sometimes stream music, gotta love The One Plan on Three), but without a removable battery I cannot trust that my phone won't die. Trust me, 2 fully charged batteries (both OEM batteries, had them less than a year), and I still often struggle to make it through 9-5. My usage is just THAT intense.
Get a couple USB Backup Chargers. I never run out of mobile juice for my L900 (typically 1.25 to 1.5 charge cycles per day) with 9000mAh
in auxiliary power at the ready.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
There isn't a better option for MY money. Only way my next phone isn't the 920 is if it's not available or if the 1020 drops by the time I scrape together the cash to buy off-contract. Upgrade is off the table, as I'm on contract til July 2014 and my carrier doesn't do early upgrade.

sholokov

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
i can't imagine anyone looking at a one x and thinking dull screen.it's considered probably the best screen out at this moment.mine is set at 20% brightness and is perfectly clear. as good as my titan screen is it can't touch the one x
Maybe the One X has brighter screen but I am talking about Windows Phone 7 devices. The Pro 7 and HD7 both can't match the AMOLED on my Samsung for the Blacks and Whites. When I was getting my Focus, it had the best screen among all WP7 devices available at the time. Before that I had the HTC Touch Pro2, which had a not so bright screen as well. I use to struggle with reading in the outdoors.

sholokov

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
I am more in favor of the Nokia 920 now because of the new reports from Nokia about them adding some of their new features to their existing Lumia phones. I love their support for existing customers.

sholokov

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
Very Interesting that some people are calling the Lumia 820 to be a better phone. Anyone who doesn't care for a cellphone camera believes that the 820 is better because of its smaller slimmer size and less weight. Does this make you think twice about the 920 at all?:confused:

AKA Preluva

Banned
Mar 15, 2012
Visit site
I had to ask this question. We all love (almost all) the way Lumia phones look. But is wireless charging and PureView enough to make you reach a decision? Or do you think you will get over the looks and buy another phone for more practically or any other reason. E.g. SDcard, replaceable battery, 3.5 mm audio pin location, etc.:straight:

I don't care for it's looks, frankly it's boring. I don't care for a fancy camera, all phones have camera's and if I want a better pic I'll use the digital camera I bought for that purpose. Wireless charging is a nice feature but nothing to write home about. I will wait for everyone to put there WP8 cards on the table before I buy. I'm hoping Asus will put WP8 on there PadFone but who knows? It seems like a no brainer since they want to make WP8 phones and this device has everything you would want. Unless Nokia can show there serious about making an innovative device (Surface phon-let) I highly doubt I will be ever buying a Nokia device. :straight:

sholokov

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
I don't care for it's looks, frankly it's boring. I don't care for a fancy camera, all phones have camera's and if I want a better pic I'll use the digital camera I bought for that purpose. Wireless charging is a nice feature but nothing to write home about. I will wait for everyone to put there WP8 cards on the table before I buy. I'm hoping Asus will put WP8 on there PadFone but who knows? It seems like a no brainer since they want to make WP8 phones and this device has everything you would want. Unless Nokia can show there serious about making an innovative device (Surface phon-let) I highly doubt I will be ever buying a Nokia device. :straight:
How about the HTC 8X then? Unless you don't want a WP8, I think it is a good alternative to the 920.

sholokov

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
That is pretty much how I felt and why Im going to switch as well (from Android)
I firmly believe that it is this integration that will drive sales of WP8 just like the iphone drove sales of Macs

Good point on the folders as well....
You are so right about the integration. I was using XDAndroid for a couple of days on my TP2, cause my wife took my WP, and I was thinking about how Android is kind of a "lonely" OS compared to WP8 and Windows 8.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGluco2