OK so here's the fat question: who's decided to return their device?

wamsille

Banned
Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Here's a thought, let's all go with the device that serves our needs the best.

I don't have any legal mp3's handy that I could use to test out the USB connectivity in my car. I know I tried this with my Lumia 900 but it didn't work. Yes, you can view the contents of the Lumia 920 in Windows Explorer but anything with DRM cannot be accessed from another computer. I crank the Lumia 920 to 30/30 and I only need to put my car's stereo to 9 or 10 (out of 30) and I get decent sound. I would love to use the steering wheel controls to seek tracks though.

Coolknight1968

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
I have two 8X... I had a 800 and a 900 and have lost faith in Nokia QQ. If WP 8 fails, I will give a HTC Android a try. But I think that by April HTC will bring out a WP8 with 64GB and a bigger screen and a quad core S4 pro, like they did for the OneX+. By that time either Nokia has failed again or the Lumia 920 QQ will have way improved.

CapnPauly

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Here's a thought, let's all go with the device that serves our needs the best.

I don't have any legal mp3's handy that I could use to test out the USB connectivity in my car. I know I tried this with my Lumia 900 but it didn't work. Yes, you can view the contents of the Lumia 920 in Windows Explorer but anything with DRM cannot be accessed from another computer. I crank the Lumia 920 to 30/30 and I only need to put my car's stereo to 9 or 10 (out of 30) and I get decent sound. I would love to use the steering wheel controls to seek tracks though.
Best suits our needs? No, that's too logical. :p I have my reasons, but I'd really like to avoid both Apple and Android.

I am a stickler (snob, perhaps?) when it comes to music. I only ever purchase CDs and I rip them myself (as MP3s). That said, when I connected my Lumia to any car stereo last night (I tried it with all of them that had a USB connection) they all said something like "Unrecognized Device", "Not Readable" or something similar.
I have considered Bluetooth streaming, but my experience with Bluetooth in aftermarket car stereos has been pretty bad (staticy, crackly, etc). The streaming through my Blueant Q1 sounds pretty decent, so maybe there is a "Good" one out there.
Anyone have any recommendations on Bluetooth-compatible head units?

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
How is the Note 2 even comparable... its a much bigger device: Samsung Galaxy Note II N7100 vs. Nokia Lumia 920 - GSMArena.com

I guess its nice for home/office use, but I can't imagine myself using it as a daily smartphone...just putting it next to your face to make a phone call looks ridiculous, kind of like taking a photograph with your iPad, that is exactly how you look when you make a phone call with the note.. its just awkward

The HTC Dna or whatever its called is more.. acceptable in terms of size.

Also the note has 1100 mAh more in terms of battery capacity. Yes, it has a bigger screen, but in that is a big plus in terms of stand by time, or any other occasion where the screen is off.. like a phone call for example.

1100 mAh is huge.. that is almost as big as the the whole battery powering my Nokia N8, which is 1200

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
Saw some chick talking on the phone with the note 2 last weekend, she was using two hands! She lifts with both hands, godly

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Honestly, everytime I see someone talking on a note I laugh. That thing is ridiculous.

QSpI2.gif

tomatoes11

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
The people going on about how the 900 screen is better than the 920 are taking crazy pills. I mean, opinions are opinions, but the colors on the 900 so blown out, it's not even funny.

I loved the inky blacks too, but not at the expense of every other color being way too intense. The only accent colors I ever used were Nokia Blue and Green. Every other color was way too vivid and bleeding everywhere. The 920 screen is just right, IMO.

I find it so odd that people like blown out and bassy Beats Audio or overblown colors on AMOLED screens or unrealistic iPhone 5 photos. It's like realistic tones and textures aren't enough anymore...
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

The color difference you do not like is just a bunch of baloney. The only reason LCD looks more natural to you is:

A) You are used to seeing LCD colors since the day you were born so it seems natural to you. Old folks used to complain about how LCD didn't look right like CRT Televisions back in the day too but everyone adjusted.

B) Colors appear brighter than they really are when next to a pure black just like colors next to a blinding white appears more washed out than they really are.

If anything, technically OLED is more natural since it uses organic materials to create the color. A flashlight behind a a piece of paper, technically what LED technology is, doesn't sound more natural than organic diodes to me.

tomatoes11

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Re: Why I returned the 920

I believe the Samsung ATIV S is larger than the Lumia 920?

Also, to the OP, the size of the phone is due to the built-in features of the Lumia 920. Wireless charging, the floating-lense camera, large battery, etc. It's the things people like about the Lumia 920 that make it the size it is.

The 920 is effectively way bigger than the Ativ S and GS3. I could comfortably use the GS3 in one hand and pocket it easily. The L920 is HUGE, the volume is quite ridiculous without enough curves and tapers to lower the actual volume.

tomatoes11

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site

I have three problems, well a lot more but these three are the ones that bother me, right now that might make me return the 8x and go with a Nexus 4. One, a turning off a walky talky type static noise every time I end a phone call or exit the camera app that I am not sure is normal or not. Two, the volume rocker is loose and rattles. The display model I saw at the pop up store was loose too but I don't think it made a sound when I touched it like mine does. Three, Whatsapp, my most used app, is currently 50 gazillion times better on Android right now and I kind of miss the notifications window.

The reason I don't just exchange it is because I already did once already and do not trust HTC to deliver a third one without yet some other problems that I can live with so my next return is my last, no more exchanges.

I might keep my current one though, we will see.

TheBigJMoney

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I had to do it, I returned my L920 today. My reasoning was simple: the phone began to have "battery issues" and I simply don't want to chance that the next 920 I get won't have the same problems. My 14 day window to return the phone ends on Friday and I don't want to be stuck with a phone that doesn't have the kind of usability I need. Beyond the battery problems I enjoyed the phone a great deal. It was as fast as advertised, the camera was good, and the call quality I experienced was excellent. To anyone on the fence about whether or not to try the phone (especially as it's issues get worked out) do NOT worry about the weight. Reviewers put far too much emphasis on it. I came from an iPhone 4 and the weight of the L920 was a complete non-issue. I'm not at all against WP8 and perhaps I'll give WP another try in the next generation. Good luck to all.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site

I have three problems, well a lot more but these three are the ones that bother me, right now that might make me return the 8x and go with a Nexus 4. One, a turning off a walky talky type static noise every time I end a phone call or exit the camera app that I am not sure is normal or not. Two, the volume rocker is loose and rattles. The display model I saw at the pop up store was loose too but I don't think it made a sound when I touched it like mine does. Three, Whatsapp, my most used app, is currently 50 gazillion times better on Android right now and I kind of miss the notifications window.

The reason I don't just exchange it is because I already did once already and do not trust HTC to deliver a third one without yet some other problems that I can live with so my next return is my last, no more exchanges.

I might keep my current one though, we will see.

If quality is an issue for you, I certainly would not recommend buying an LG phone. Personally I doubt I will ever buy any Android phone again, but if I did I'd get a Samsung Galaxy Nexus before I'd buy any LG phone.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I had to do it, I returned my L920 today. My reasoning was simple: the phone began to have "battery issues" and I simply don't want to chance that the next 920 I get won't have the same problems. My 14 day window to return the phone ends on Friday and I don't want to be stuck with a phone that doesn't have the kind of usability I need. Beyond the battery problems I enjoyed the phone a great deal. It was as fast as advertised, the camera was good, and the call quality I experienced was excellent. To anyone on the fence about whether or not to try the phone (especially as it's issues get worked out) do NOT worry about the weight. Reviewers put far too much emphasis on it. I came from an iPhone 4 and the weight of the L920 was a complete non-issue. I'm not at all against WP8 and perhaps I'll give WP another try in the next generation. Good luck to all.

The battery alone made that decision for you huh? Wow. If you had just read a little here, tinkered with your settings and waited a short while for the inevitable update you'd have been fine. All I did was turn on battery saver and turn off location and NFC and my battery lasts easily all day with pretty heavy use.

Ah well. Hope to see you return in future.

Mrkdilkington

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
The color difference you do not like is just a bunch of baloney. The only reason LCD looks more natural to you is:

A) You are used to seeing LCD colors since the day you were born so it seems natural to you. Old folks used to complain about how LCD didn't look right like CRT Televisions back in the day too but everyone adjusted.

B) Colors appear brighter than they really are when next to a pure black just like colors next to a blinding white appears more washed out than they really are.

If anything, technically OLED is more natural since it uses organic materials to create the color. A flashlight behind a a piece of paper, technically what LED technology is, doesn't sound more natural than organic diodes to me.
They have ways of objectively testing the accuracy of a display's color gamma/temperature/delta/etc., and AMOLED tends to have flat out false colors. RGBG pentile has an influence on this.

Razdek

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
The battery alone made that decision for you huh? Wow. If you had just read a little here, tinkered with your settings and waited a short while for the inevitable update you'd have been fine. All I did was turn on battery saver and turn off location and NFC and my battery lasts easily all day with pretty heavy use.

Ah well. Hope to see you return in future.

You're criticizing him because he didn't stick it out for having a bad battery experience? I had to return my phone as well because of bad battery and I followed all the suggestions on the forum until a hard reset bricked my phone. I think he took the smart and safe route to wait until all the issues are resolved and Nokia and Microsoft haven't even announced that an update is coming.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
You're criticizing him because he didn't stick it out for having a bad battery experience? I had to return my phone as well because of bad battery and I followed all the suggestions on the forum until a hard reset bricked my phone. I think he took the smart and safe route to wait until all the issues are resolved and Nokia and Microsoft haven't even announced that an update is coming.

I think the battery issue is a simple software problem. Turning a few things off solves it temporarily. I know this because I did it. If people are dumb enough to do a hard reset instead of taking the time to learn a bit more about the issue and take a more practical approach, then that's on them. A little patience pays off here.

I do understand the frustration though, and this shouldn't have happened in the first place, but these things do happen with new phones on new OS's. Who knows, if I didn't already love Windows Phone and I was coming from an iPhone and uncertain about my choice, I might just have returned the phone too.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
They have ways of objectively testing the accuracy of a display's color gamma/temperature/delta/etc., and AMOLED tends to have flat out false colors. RGBG pentile has an influence on this.

That may be true, but I'm in the camp that thinks the AMOLED screens just look a bit better. I'm not using Photoshop to match pantone colors here. I enjoyed the super dark black on my 900 and the more vibrant colors and the fact that that type of screen also uses less energy was a bonus.

I'm OK with the LCD and I understand Nokia probably did it so they could allow for the faster refresh rate they wanted, but I still think the inky blackness looks far better, especially on an OS that has so much black in it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss