GPS / Location has stopped working

mbranscum

Nov 25, 2003
Visit site
My 1 month old 920 has suddenly stopped being able to locate me. I am in Arkansas and it shows that I am just east of Seattle every time I bring up an app that uses location services. I have tried turning off and on the location services feature and have restarted the phone a few times. It is consistent in every app that I am in the same place, Houghton, Washington, but I am in Arkansas.

Any suggestions???

abel920

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I had this problem too. Wow I thought I was the only one, and I thought it was a rather case of GPS signal, but now I think it may be software related.

Yeah, I tried Nokia Drive +, and it works for one minute, but then after that the GPS doesn't "update" my location, unless I manually restart the app. Me, my mother, and my brother got lost because of this.

santillanavila1993

Dec 22, 2012
Visit site
I've recently had issues with the GPS as well. It tells me I am in a different city but it seems to sort itself after I move a block away from the position I am at. This only happens when im at home though. I have a gut feeling it has to do with weather flow or crimson dragon. Lumia 920

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
I had a similar issuie with my 900 I was in Fort Smith AR and it said I was in Richmond VA The funny thing was in about two weeks I was in Richmond VA. I turned it off and turned it back on I was were I really was.

lfjj

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
My position is wrong only when I'm inside, probably because the satellite can't get proper information. When I go outside it's rather accurate tho, sometimes off by a few meters.

chsoriano

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
My phone keeps thinking I am in Glen Echo, Maryland... I'm in Texas :/. I remember this happened last year and it had something to do with AT&T changing something in their network configuration. I have another Lumia 920 without a sim (Wi-Fi only) and it is not exhibiting this issue so I'm thinking it might be network related. This just started happening to me yesterday.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I can't say if this is the problem for all of you, but it is for some: As the previous poster mentioned, it comes down to carriers reconfiguring cell towers. Most modern hardware uses what is called AGPS, or assisted GPS, which gets a rough fix on your location based on the cells it can reach. Getting a fix on your location is much faster this way, but it screws you up if the catalog of cell ID's/locations is inaccurate. Walking out of range of the problematic cell can sometimes fix it, or disabling HDSPA+ (4G), or disabling the devices ability to contact cell towers entirely (remove the sim). Probably best to send off an email to HTC or Nokia. Tell them what carrier you are on and EXACTLY at what location (address) you experience the problem. They will take it up with your carriers.

chsoriano

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
So I finally gave up and went back to the at&t store to exchange my Lumia 920 today. On first boot it didn't detect me in Maryland like the last phone so that's a good sign.

They gave me a new phone and sim card but charged me a restocking fee because they could not determine if there was something wrong with the device... Really lame, as if they don't charge their customers enough. Considering I got the phone 7 days ago I don't think I should have been charged .

steverogalinski

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
My GPS/Location has stopped working too. The GPS hasn't been working for several days. No Location isn't working either. It's showing my phone is where I was six hours ago. Help!:crying:

chsoriano

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
For the past couple of days my location has been working, although it seems to be slower than it was previously, taking a few seconds to get an approximate position via A-GPS. It starts by guessing I'm in Minnesota for some reason then locks on... Might still be some tweaking going on with AT&T

pjmacklin

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
will post my issue here, too! in seattle, wa on att/4g network. use two gps apps, one bus away and poynt. both have shown me as being in Maryland on occasion. don't know what to divine from the information here but if someone has an answer...awesome!

Svein Ingebrigtsen

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Hi there,
I have the same problem with Endomondo on Lumia 920. With my previous 800 i cannot recall there was a problem.
But I have expreimented with having af look at "background app" (in Settings) to check if one of these apps was using GPS. I found that Nokia City Lense was running! After having closed the background task and a reboot - the problem is gone for now.
Maybe this could be of help to others!!

/Svein

Madeye234

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
Interesting I had this issue as well, and I had to do a soft reboot to get in to re-engage. It was very annoying when you are on route on a long drive and you suddenly realize there is no active data. Still have not figured out what caused this, at first I thought it was overheating, from being on a few hours. But I have my mount in front of my AC vent and had cold air on it the whole time.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
I think that it might have something to do with poor reception and cell tower triangulation but that's just a guess.

drg

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I had a similar issue where my GPS just stopped working and I noticed that my date and time could not be set automatically from the network. I was just about to do a hardware reset before coming across this thread and so I changed highest network speed to 3G and GPS and auto date and time started working again. I switched back to 4G and it still worked. very strange. The last odd thing I did was try a "battery pull" soft reset where you hold volume down and power and keep holding it down till you feel 3 vibrations and the phone does 3 resets. I'm not sure if the issue started before I did that or not.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon