Weird issue and I need some opinions. AT&T 8x.

Jonnny4

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site
I have had an AT&T 8x for 9 days and in a 7 day billing period I have only used 250Mb of data out of 4096Mb. I had an iPhone 5 last month on Sprint and I used 1750Mb of data on it before I returned it, 14 days. I have used both phones to the same degree and have even used the 8x as a WiFi hotspot. I am worried one of the 2 companies is lying and if it is AT&T and I stay I am going to get screwed. I have 2 days to figure this out. I heard that the Windows Phone 8 devices are very data efficient but 400Mb vs. 1750Mb sounds to good to be true. Does anyone have any helpful information? Have any of you AT&T users noticed low data usage? If this is true I was going to buy the Nokia Lumia 920 on a second line to share but I don't want to do that if AT&T is lying.

juan6996

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
If you're checking your usage through the ATT app, it doesn't give you the most up-to-the-minute info. Dial *3282# and you'll get a text with updated data usage info. They won't charge you for any data that doesn't show up on your usage.

Jonnny4

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site
I am using the *3282#. Is it really possible for Windows Phone 8 without Data Sense to be that much more efficient that iOs 6?

juan6996

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Maybe you're using WiFi more? Also IE10 compresses data to save you data, so if you're mostly using internet explorer, yes, WP8 is that much more efficient. Like I said, they'll only charge you for the amount of data that they tell you you've used. In my many years on ATT and Windows Phone (since Samsung focus!) I've only once gone over my data plan and it was my fault as I had no WiFi and I used my phone alot to watch tv.

Jonnny4

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site
Thanks but no, I have had the WiFi off to use as much data as possible. I do appreciate you trying to answer my questions.

juan6996

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
No problem. By the way, the data count resets every 24th day of the month, so that might be why the data count is so low.

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Maybe you're using WiFi more? Also IE10 compresses data to save you data, so if you're mostly using internet explorer, yes, WP8 is that much more efficient. Like I said, they'll only charge you for the amount of data that they tell you you've used. In my many years on ATT and Windows Phone (since Samsung focus!) I've only once gone over my data plan and it was my fault as I had no WiFi and I used my phone alot to watch tv.

Ie 10 does NOT compress data. Only data sense on Verizon, soon to be AT&T

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I have had an AT&T 8x for 9 days and in a 7 day billing period I have only used 250Mb of data out of 4096Mb. I had an iPhone 5 last month on Sprint and I used 1750Mb of data on it before I returned it, 14 days. I have used both phones to the same degree and have even used the 8x as a WiFi hotspot. I am worried one of the 2 companies is lying and if it is AT&T and I stay I am going to get screwed. I have 2 days to figure this out. I heard that the Windows Phone 8 devices are very data efficient but 400Mb vs. 1750Mb sounds to good to be true. Does anyone have any helpful information? Have any of you AT&T users noticed low data usage? If this is true I was going to buy the Nokia Lumia 920 on a second line to share but I don't want to do that if AT&T is lying.

Only thing that could be is how often ios6 and wp8 allows apps to update. Don't know for sure, but one could allow apps to update in groups and the other singularly.

I

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon