Lumia 920 battery - Your opinions

irvin792

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I took my 920 I rcvd from att.com on the 13th back to a corporate store and the new 920 I recieved I hard reset as it had some video from whoever in china made the phone LOL. It bricked the handset, took it back again, thank god they had one more, this one is so far so good, got everything back up and running pretty simply, just had to redo a few passwords andset up my start screen again.

Will report on battery life tomorrow.

Not getting nearly as hot as the first 920 I had. Im gonna go on a limb and say that there are a few faulty batches of lumias out there with the faulty hard resets and the heating up issues.

crazy

Battery life is amazing, phone was removed off the charger at 11pm last night, I'm at 73% with same usage as other device I had.

Not getting very warm either, let alone hot like my first handset.

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
Re: lumia 920 Battery Issues

So update so far on my phone after uninstalling whatsapp.

The good thing is that the phone doesn't get super warm when i text message now, it feels normal. The bad is that the battery drain still exist somewhere. At this point in time, my battery percentage is actually almost 20% better today than yesterday with whatsapp, except yesterday i did about 1 hour straight of IE10 browsing on my phone, today i did not. So i essentially would of had the same amount of % if i did browsing today.

So in almost 6 hours, my battery drained 40% to 60%. Everything is turned off except weather running in the background. This included a 15 minute telephone conversation, about 30-40 texts and about 5 minutes of nextgen and people hub, 3 emails only one set up as they arrive which i received probably less than 10 emails today. I do not think 40% on this type of usage is good. This type of usage on my 900, i would be at 75%-80% without the one hour straight browsing easily and probably 60-65% with browsing.

At lunch today, for one hour, i didnt touch my phone and the phone drained 5 % with no usage, no incoming calls, messages, or emails. Earlier in the day, the same, i would check 30 minutes later after not touching the phone and it would drain 3%.

SO basically with very minimal usage and using minimal data heavy apps and features, my batter drains at 7% per hour, if i wanted to use it heavily for whatever reason, no way this last me through 2 pm.

Hopefully a resolution will come to this.

timk#WP

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site

Irvin,

Thanks for the update. Been following your progress. I have a red one that gets subsequently red hot when charging / running games.

My battery is about 6 hours from full charge. For the past day it's been entirely factory reset with just occasional texting and browsing. No apps, accounts, etc. Still, 6, maybe 7 hours.

Were you able to swap the phone that your ordered online out at a corporate store with no problems?

Thanks!

mikroland

Nov 4, 2011
Visit site

So update so far on my phone after uninstalling whatsapp.

The good thing is that the phone doesn't get super warm when i text message now, it feels normal. The bad is that the battery drain still exist somewhere. At this point in time, my battery percentage is actually almost 20% better today than yesterday with whatsapp, except yesterday i did about 1 hour straight of IE10 browsing on my phone, today i did not. So i essentially would of had the same amount of % if i did browsing today.

So in almost 6 hours, my battery drained 40% to 60%. Everything is turned off except weather running in the background. This included a 15 minute telephone conversation, about 30-40 texts and about 5 minutes of nextgen and people hub, 3 emails only one set up as they arrive which i received probably less than 10 emails today. I do not think 40% on this type of usage is good. This type of usage on my 900, i would be at 75%-80% without the one hour straight browsing easily and probably 60-65% with browsing.

At lunch today, for one hour, i didnt touch my phone and the phone drained 5 % with no usage, no incoming calls, messages, or emails. Earlier in the day, the same, i would check 30 minutes later after not touching the phone and it would drain 3%.

SO basically with very minimal usage and using minimal data heavy apps and features, my batter drains at 7% per hour, if i wanted to use it heavily for whatever reason, no way this last me through 2 pm.

Hopefully a resolution will come to this.

And everyone wanted a dual core processor and high RES screen so bad! Well look what you get, less battery life. Although I love the speed of this new SoC! I've noticed my 920 gets excellent stand by time. Standby time aside, I am able to make it from 7AM to 10PM before charging with moderate use, here's how:

Make sure you back out of running applications when not using the phone.
Make sure your screen is set to auto.
Turn off NFC and Bluetooth.
Disable Wifi from scanning for new networks.
Block apps from running in background if you can, under settings application, background tasks.

Other than that, I can't wait for my wireless charger to come in!

xcharles718

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site

At first I was getting about 10 hours on my Cyan 920.
Then I disabled NFC and Drive+ Beta in the background.

Dropped to 8 hours.

Maybe it's LTE-related?(I have Net10, so I can't access AT&T LTE network, but it is available where I live/work/play/school.)

Jugo Chavez

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

Try going into the background tasks control panel and disabling drive+'s ability to run behind the lock screen.
Once you've run and enabled drive+ to run in the background it appears to be pulling your location frequently even when not actively in navigation mode. Reset may be clearing this setting. I suspect that if you re-enable drive+ and grant permission you'll see a bigger drain. I'm not saying this is the only issue here but it may be one of them.

Cpfoxhunt

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site

As others in this thread have noted, I am getting a sever battery drain in concert with the back of the phone around about the camera lense becoming notably warm to the touch. I'm trying a combination of a factory reset and a drain of the battery to see if that improves things - I had already turned off NFC, Nokia Drive etc, so I'm pretty sure it wasn't background apps. Slightly disappointing, but no worse than my old Iphone 4 was at the start before Apple pushed out an update. Hopefully Nokia/Microsoft will release a couple of updates soon!

Last edited:

Mpm277

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site

I've had my phone for a week now and it's been through many charge cycles. If I use it lightly, it'll get me through a work day - again, if I use it lightly (that's no fun). I charged it overnight, and it shows at 100% I have 13 hours left.

Realistically, with moderate use, I can expect around 6-8 hours with this phone. That is not sufficient for me. I've done everything (except a hard reset) that everyone has described on here. Ah well. Good luck with your phones guys (I really mean that, besides a handful of minor problems it's an awesome phone). I'm just tired of the headache.

robstunner

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
RE: lumia 920 Battery Issues

With:

No background tasks accept weather channel
No NFC on
Gmail setup under exchange
Backing out every app
Hard reset
My idle time is perfect. However, with screen on usage time I'd say it drains twice as fast as my one x does.
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

xcharles718

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
A little update.
Installed call+SMS app, re-add Google account as Exchange.
2 hours unplugged, a hour standby and a hour of mix MetroTube/Music use.
94% when I open this WPC app about 4 mins ago. 92% at post.

Ron Paul

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site

After a rigorous day of use, my battery life has become slightly better. Now lasting 11 hours. I will give it another restart and recharge to reach 15 hours before attempting a return.

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site

I realize people are trying to be helpful by posting all sorts of tricks to "fix" a battery life issue, but some of you are completely missing the point here. Without making any changes whatsoever on my 920 (just normal usage) I am either getting awesome battery life or an occasional "super drain" that eventually goes away. Without making a single background task/uninstall/settings disable/reboot/ change. Try it yourself. That right there proves there is an issue, though it is infrequent or random. Please stop with the battery tips (unless you are trying to generally instruct), it seems to just be giving people the perception that the 920 in a normal usage scenario has mediocre to terrible battery life and that people should disable everything to use it properly. That is absolutely false and hurts the product perception. A fix is going to come, we all know Nokia is good for it. Just do what I do, set it up the way you like it and stop changing a ton of things. Then just keep observing and keep a charger nearby for when the battery bogey monster visits. The ball is in Nokia or MS court.

Lemmiwinkles

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site

I had my 920 replaced yesterday because of dust under the FFC and a dead pixel. My new 920 has the battery stuck at 100% no matter what I do. I've already hard reset it. Any advice?

Mpm277

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site

After all the complaining about my battery in this thread, I'm obligated to post this update....

I turned basically everything off a few days ago with no real difference in my battery being seen. However, last night I turned off my WiFi and turned automatic brightness off with it set to medium. Now today, I've sent about 6 texts, had a few minute phone call, and about 25 minute web browsing. My phone has been off the charger for 6 hours and I'm at 82% - a noticeable difference for me. Before I would probably be around 50%.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes