Any Tips on Switching from iOS

tallarob

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
Just ordered my 928 from Amazon for $49. Is there anything special I need to do beforehand in terms of getting ready for the switch from my iPhone. I saw somewhere where someone said to turn off iMessage before the switch. I have done that. I have an iPad as well. Do I need to switch off iMessage on that device also?
Additionally, I have transferred all my photos to my desktop computer.

How do I transfer all of my contacts, text messages and calendar appointments?
Any way to transfer Notes?
Thanks.

explosive0

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
You can turn it back on on your iPad. You'll still be able to send and receive iMessages, but only from your email address, not your phone number. Make sure you verify that your phone number isn't activated.

questionfear

Nov 4, 2006
Visit site
You may also need to delete your phone from your apple profile. I just switched from an iPhone, and even though I had iMessage off on my iPhone and my iPad, I still wasn't getting texts until I deleted it on Apple's site and rebooted my Lumia.

tallarob

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
You may also need to delete your phone from your apple profile. I just switched from an iPhone, and even though I had iMessage off on my iPhone and my iPad, I still wasn't getting texts until I deleted it on Apple's site and rebooted my Lumia.
How do I do that?

questionfear

Nov 4, 2006
Visit site
If you turned off iMessage prior to activating your phone, and you're still not receiving texts, try this: https://supportprofile.apple.com/MySupportProfile.do

You go in, find your iphone, select edit, delete, and then reboot your Lumia.

Further instructions in this thread: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3575633?start=0&tstart=0

Like I said, I turned off iMessage everywhere and still had issues, though this fixed them immediately (thankfully!) Others have said they had no problems after turning off iMessage ahead of deactivating their phone, so try that first and if you aren't getting texts kill the phone in your Apple profile. Good luck! You will be quite happy you switched-I am!

questionfear

Nov 4, 2006
Visit site
What's the best way to transfer contacts and text messages? Will Verizon do that for me?

I am not sure. Contacts I transferred through Gmail, you can also upload them to outlook ahead of setting up Windows Phone.

Texts I am not sure...maybe someone with Verizon backup experience can chime in.

pappy53

Banned
Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
The best tip that I can give is "don't switch"! Lol. j/k! Enjoy your WP8, as it is a nice OS. MS just needs to make some improvements, such as being able to use your own alert tones for SMS and email. And more of the mainstream and banking apps.

Riverrunner88

May 13, 2013
Visit site
I've made the switch and it's been rather uneventful. Most of the apps that I used are here or there are similar ones. I have found the apps don't seem to have the same functionality that I had with iOS apps. No biggie but feels like a step backwards. I'm sure the apps will get better in time. Music is just so-so. It's not the same "experience" although the desktop app easily transfered my iTunes to my 928 without issue so I'm happy about that. I may try and find a better player however.

Prior to switching I got an outlook.com account and got all of my contacts on that account. Email and contact syncing has been flawless. The phone will also take info from your FB friends to populate the "people" screen if you have a FB account. I don't regret the switch and I like the device a lot. I have to admit I'm still learning about it which is why I check into this forum often for tips and ideas.

baseballbert

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
I've made the switch and it's been rather uneventful. Most of the apps that I used are here or there are similar ones. I have found the apps don't seem to have the same functionality that I had with iOS apps. No biggie but feels like a step backwards. I'm sure the apps will get better in time. Music is just so-so. It's not the same "experience" although the desktop app easily transfered my iTunes to my 928 without issue so I'm happy about that. I may try and find a better player however.

Prior to switching I got an outlook.com account and got all of my contacts on that account. Email and contact syncing has been flawless. The phone will also take info from your FB friends to populate the "people" screen if you have a FB account. I don't regret the switch and I like the device a lot. I have to admit I'm still learning about it which is why I check into this forum often for tips and ideas.

What did you use to transfer iTunes to you WP?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon