Windows Phone loyalist might switch back to android

Status
Not open for further replies.

MDboyz

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
What car do you have? Maybe you need to look up to see if people have issue with Bluetooth with that car or not. I am using my Nokia 920 in my Toyota Venza, and it works perfectly.

Connie Litrenta

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
I don't see a problem with what you wrote. The fact is, as much as one might like Windows Phone, that doesn't mean it can necessarily meet their needs. We all have to weigh what we want vs what we need. They aren't always the same thing. Don't feel bad if you have to go back to Android to get what you need. WP8 is still maturing and may take a while to get where you need it to be. Now on the other hand, if you said you were going back to iPhone, THEN I'd be upset :winktongue:

williegeenutz

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
I was having some real issues with bluetooth as well, but one thing that helped me was to press and hold to delete old devices that were showing up as options - clear them all out - turn bluetooth off, then back on, connect to new device option, and it seemed to work better for me.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The slate 7 is your best price for abilty android tab.

Usually very cheep but not nasty.

I would not advise a crappy ?60 one.

You could always get a blackberry playbook. I have one and it has good business tools that will only get better with bb10. Its dirt cheap, massive storage and sterio speakers with a 720p screen

NO - while android is good and works decently, the Slate 7 is not the way to go. (doesn't even have square pixels IIRC) it's pretty low quality parts - the Nexus 7 is a much better buy for $30 more. While the Slate *can* do things, I have serious qualms about long-term (or even short-term) quality and ability to hold together.

you could try a used android phone if you're on a budget - i've gotten secondhand without many problems.

Sheamartin

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
I've been using the Nokia 928 for 3 days now. The phone is great. But the apps are really lacking. First of course if Facebook where you can't seem to delete posts, links don't work. You also can't share photos from your photo folder. Now to text. I had an app (Chomp) that would read my unread text to me. That was really nice when I'm in the car. Tried the navigation today. It's very nice, but you can't add a traffic layer. So living in California, that's really a deal breaker. I downloaded the ringtone maker app. Some ringtones worked, some didn't. Took a few missed calls to figure that out. I downloaded an app that said it was wallpaper. I don't know where the wallpaper went. I figured it would show behind my tiles???? I know the app market will get richer and richer as the phones sell. But it's hard to move from a really rich ecosystem to something where the apps don't seem to work smoothly and there doesn't seem to be much info out there to fix them.

Jonathan Hard

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
I'd say at least wait for the amber update that's rolling out in the next month there will probably be plenty of bug fixes. I just got mine and personally I don't find it buggy at all, there are just a few issues with syncing music (bad design by Microsoft) and getting everything to work correctly since its unlocked. My bluetooth, however, works pretty flawlessly with my Sync system.

b3rni3703

May 22, 2013
Visit site
i'm rocking both WP8 and Android... unlock 920 ATT on TMo and 2 android devices (Amaze 4G White and Nexus 7 tablet)... gives me both platform experience.. thumbs up!

caesar500

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
My wife had to leave WP for this exact reason. I am pleased with the growth of WP sales and the app development overall. But, boy there is still pain and inconvenience everywhere. Hope a solution works for you.

Intuit, PayPal, Square...... At some point one of these majors readers has to make it to WP, or some smaller company with comparable pricing and services. Just the law of averages.

Paypal is available, but the others are not at this time. I get your point

caesar500

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
It's a Nokia and At&t issue. I pre-ordered a 920 and got a bad phone. So Nokia shipped some bad devices. The problem is that At&t does not send you a "new" replacement phone. Their phones are a collection of refurbished, re-certified and returned phones. My theory is that a lot of those bad initial phones are that pool of replacements. My 6th or 7th Lumia is arriving today. I called At&t's equipment line directly, because the normal operators are not forthcoming and not always knowledgeable (e.g., remove the battery and it will reset). Fingers crossed that my new one works properly. The lady suggested that I contact Nokia directly. The phone is under warranty until January. Using insurance is a joke, because you have pay $199 and you are not guaranteed a new Lumia 920. Based on that info buying a new phone is the best option. I understand your frustration, but I think it is a Nokia (bad batch) and At&t (recycling bad devices) issue, not MSFT.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
I feel the OP's pain. I love Windows Phone but i've already considered next year when my hardware upgrade is available to POSSIBLY go back to iPhone. As BORING as the iPhone is, im jealous of my wife's iPhone 5 customization and selection of minimal apps i really wish i had. I hate being tied to iTunes, but at the rate MS is improving the WP8 experience is sort of disappointing from my prospective. I'm waiting out as my HW upgrade will be avaliable by the time we know of or already have WP8.1...if by March 2014 we havent heard anything then i may jump ship because that will be absurd.

I really do love my L920 and WP...but im not denying its lack of features and such as mentioned initially, poor response to fix important problems.

Narr

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
I've been using the Nokia 928 for 3 days now. The phone is great. But the apps are really lacking. First of course if Facebook where you can't seem to delete posts, links don't work. You also can't share photos from your photo folder. Now to text. I had an app (Chomp) that would read my unread text to me. That was really nice when I'm in the car. Tried the navigation today. It's very nice, but you can't add a traffic layer. So living in California, that's really a deal breaker. I downloaded the ringtone maker app. Some ringtones worked, some didn't. Took a few missed calls to figure that out. I downloaded an app that said it was wallpaper. I don't know where the wallpaper went. I figured it would show behind my tiles???? I know the app market will get richer and richer as the phones sell. But it's hard to move from a really rich ecosystem to something where the apps don't seem to work smoothly and there doesn't seem to be much info out there to fix them.
The option to listen to text messages over Bluetooth is baked into the system, have a look under settings - speech.

VisceralMonkey

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Hardware is awesome. The apps are not. I'll probably be switching to the iPhone in the next year. Love my 920, but the platform is stalled with second rate knock-off apps and no serious commitment from Microsoft. Nokia is doing their best, but I fear it's a losing battle.

Aren Clegg

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Hardware is awesome. The apps are not. I'll probably be switching to the iPhone in the next year. Love my 920, but the platform is stalled with second rate knock-off apps and no serious commitment from Microsoft. Nokia is doing their best, but I fear it's a losing battle.
By the time you switch in a year windows phone 8 would have gone through gdr3 and have windows 8.1 available, which should put it on par with android, except of course customization. As long as an app does what its supposed to do, does it really have to be an official app? What's wrong with supporting the third party developers apps?

richv77

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
My white L920 has also locked up on me twice. And believe it or not I have Sync in my car.
The first time it occurred my phone came back on only after I turned the car off. The second time I held down the power and volume keys for 10 seconds after I turned off the car and walked away from it. I thought it died on me. Yes, very frustrating.

Good luck.

-Rich

Paola1993

May 30, 2013
Visit site
I've been thinking switching back as well. I thought I wouldn't mind the lack of important apps but having to pay for things that in other platforms are free it's just stupid. I love WP, don't get me wrong, these has been 3 great months and the simplicity of the OS is amazing. BUT waiting for simple features that are already out of the box on Android isn't exactly a great deal. Another problem is that incompability with my Galaxy tablet, I know, Google's fault but nothing to do... Another thing is that I keep getting my Hotmail accounts hacked and yes I've set privacy features but they're not good enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes