Did AT&T forget about us?

Tom Snyder

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Any still think AT&T will release these updates by Sept 30, haha I don't think its going to happen. What we will get is going to be a stripped down version anyway

denzilla

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
How was Vista any more of a resource hog than Windows 7? It didn't leave your 4 GB of RAM empty at all times like Windows XP did? I STILL hear people complain about the fact that NT 6.x uses a large portion of your RAM at any given time, and those complaints are always the result of expecting that "unused RAM is good." Windows Vista (and 7) will happily run on a 2.0 GHz Pentium 4 and 512 MB of RAM. SuperFetch won't really do anything, but that's what the "bloat" you're talking about is - the SuperFetch loading frequently used programs into RAM so that they open quickly.

Also, viruses are generally not likely to cause BSODs. BSODs traditionally (and technically still can) occurred due to drivers crashing. It isn't very easy for a crashed GPU driver to bring down NT 6.x, though. CPU instability and RAM errors are much more likely to cause BSODs, and they really aren't problems that Microsoft (or anyone else) can fix in software. The integrity of some components of Windows can also be damaged, which may be why things suddenly work fine on your Surface.

Modern iterations of Windows NT are not, however, the wreck that Windows 9x was. Minor issues with programs could crash your computer fairly easily.

Vista was perceived as a resource hog for two reasons:

1. OEMs selling Vista pcs with 512mb or 1gb of ram. Dumb as the day is long they were for doing this! HDD never stopped churning from a cold boot. If you weren't running at least 2gb, you were in hell.

2. Mysterious hard drive churning when installing/uninstalling programs. This happened everytime I performed either. Seriously, what the hell was it doing? I noticed this on every machine I worked on, including my own and I ran 4gb of ram at the time.

Vista was fine if you had the ram, with the exception of problem 2, Theme sucked though....

WP95

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
This is another reason I'm hesitating to switch from VZW to AT&T, slow updates for the phones.
If Verizon only had the WPs that AT&T had....with color. Everyone on WPCentral would be with big red.

Kebero

May 26, 2011
Visit site
This is another reason I'm hesitating to switch from VZW to AT&T, slow updates for the phones.
If Verizon only had the WPs that AT&T had....with color. Everyone on WPCentral would be with big red.

You're assuming that VZW always has "timely" updates.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Another reason I went ahead and gave in and bought the 1020, was that I wanted to be the guy that supported windows phone, and bought a Nokia on iPhone launch day. ;)

I walked out the door of the at&t store, past the line of isheeple with my bright yellow Nokia Lumia 1020 in my hand proudly!

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
It seems like going with the next program is the best for us who really want Ms to set the bar! Why wait for updates when we can just upgrade! Sounds crappy but I'm looking at updates to fix issues in having with my wp8 like this awesome " other storage" so if Ms is not to worried about pushing out updates that's ok I'll just upgrade . If Xbox one is out to take on the competition why isn't wp8? Ok maybe on there camera but all those millions of people waiting in line for there new iPhones where not there for its camera! I love wp but if they know there updates will be untimely let us know,be honest . If were willing to wait that's fine and if not that's fine too ill just upgrade. Ms is smart one day they'll make the OS so good and flawless with equal or more functionality then the rest . Then we won't be needing to upgrade phones so often just to fix issues, and play catch up with the competion. And even worse wait for ever for updates with features that have been on the competition for a while now!

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Another reason I went ahead and gave in and bought the 1020, was that I wanted to be the guy that supported windows phone, and bought a Nokia on iPhone launch day. ;)

I walked out the door of the at&t store, past the line of isheeple with my bright yellow Nokia Lumia 1020 in my hand proudly!

Unfortunately, you were mistaken as another iPhone buyer to everyone driving buy seeing the line.

denzilla

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
I played with a friends 1020 and liked it alot compared to mu 920. Not enough to upgrade early in November, but it was nice. Glance was handy and th phone, even with an Otterbox on felt better in the hand. All that being said, I'm not quite sure I'm sticking with Windows Phone if this is.how we're going to be treated by Att. Hate the iPhone all you like, but it has a consistent support cycle and the 5s hardware isn't all bad. If the update situation hasn't improved by November 2014, I'm probably off to Apple land.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I played with a friends 1020 and liked it alot compared to mu 920. Not enough to upgrade early in November, but it was nice. Glance was handy and th phone, even with an Otterbox on felt better in the hand. All that being said, I'm not quite sure I'm sticking with Windows Phone if this is.how we're going to be treated by Att. Hate the iPhone all you like, but it has a consistent support cycle and the 5s hardware isn't all bad. If the update situation hasn't improved by November 2014, I'm probably off to Apple land.

You'll have entire OS version updates before then. That's a long way away.

denzilla

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
You'll have entire OS version updates before then. That's a long way away.
I know, but its how current and upcoming phones get treated that will determine my decision. If Att is going to play politics with every update, I'd rather go with something they have less control over.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately, you were mistaken as another iPhone buyer to everyone driving buy seeing the line.
Not a chance... I made sure to wave my bright yellow 1020 in the air for all to see. You really can't miss it, a totally different yellow than their iPhone C yellow.

Tom Snyder

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
I know, but its how current and upcoming phones get treated that will determine my decision. If Att is going to play politics with every update, I'd rather go with something they have less control over.

You got that right, I don't think AT&T will change either, they really don't care. The only thing that will change their policy's is the dollar, if enough people and business's walk away that will change how they treat their subscribers.

Kebero

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately, I don't know if we're better off tracking down and buying unbranded devices, seeing as how those are (in a completely backwards manner) usually the last to be updated.

thomas wojcik

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
Not a chance... I made sure to wave my bright yellow 1020 in the air for all to see. You really can't miss it, a totally different yellow than their iPhone C yellow.
I was first in line at my att store and didn't see anyone other than iphone people around me, but hey, whatever floats your boat.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site

Cool you got the phone, but no one driving by can tell what you have in your hand (1020, iphone or old school gameboy).

Kieta

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Hmmm, still no update. I have plans to use one of my lines to get a 1520 once they are released but hopefully we'll have an Amber update on the 920 by then.

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Today being the 23rd I'm really considering thus att next program . If Ms is putting out newer phones with the latest updates faster than updates them selves why not just upgrade to newest phone all the major carriers are doing it . Any thoughts?

uselessrobot

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site

The only way to support Nokia is by buying an unlocked, unsubsidized phone. Then Nokia gets the money and you're free to jump to another carrier. If you bought the phone under contract and subsidized then you're helping AT&T, not Nokia. And doing so encourages the company to continue they're current practices because they know they can coerce consumers to replace their phones prematurely, when there's no reason to do so.

Of course, Verizon has a nearly identical business model. T-Mobile is moving in the same direction, unfortunately, with the same kind of 6-month replacement gimmick. They know consumers are suckers and are easy to take advantage of. If Americans bought mostly unsubsidized phones we'd have the leverage because there would be no contract to break and we could switch carriers any time we were unhappy.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes