factory reset please help

costas60

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
how safe is a factory reset (I have never done one before on a windows phone)
HTC have advised me to do a factory rese as my 8X will not update to latest firmware
it checks and tells me up to date but HTC says not latest update
I read in this forum someone bricked their 8X by factory rest
as HTC has recomended this to me by email could I hold them responsible if it bricks
also if I do not update to latest firmware
will I be able to update to GDR3

Eric J F

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
I've done it a couple of times and never had a problem. Make sure you backup up the phone (Settings/Backup) and any documents, photos, etc that you've put on the phone because you'll lose them when you do the reset. You'll also lose any game process settings.

The reset should put the phone back to the way it was when you first got it but with any subsequent firmware and OS updates incorporated.

I personally think it's a good idea to do a factory reset after major updates; I've done it every time on our two phones (8X & Lumia 521) and I've never had a problem, especially the ones reported in these forums.

You reset at your own risk, though depending on your situation you may be covered by a warranty or insurance. I've also read that the updates include all previous ones so if you missed GDR2 you'll get all its features in GDR3, but maybe someone else can clarify that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes