My phones battery lasts for 3 hours only. How to improve it?

Abhishek Pradhan

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
I'm in love with my new Nokia lumia 620. But there is something which puts me off. I'm getting only around 3 and a half hours of battery backup on continuous usage (over 3G) after fully charged. Location, wifi, bluetooth, all turned off. Is it normal ? I don't think so. So, how can i improve my battery backup ?? From what i know, this phone provides 7.8 hours of 3G browsing. So, getting only 3 hours out of it is not normal at all. Kindly help me in this regard. Thanks in advance !!
EDIT - My phone is new. Its been 2 days only since i purchased it.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
You either have something running in the background or you have a bad battery. Check your background apps. If nothing is running, then I would suggest returning it. It is a piece of electronics, so it very well may just be a bad battery.

Snazrael

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Agree with "11B1P". Either you have a very poorly written app running constantly, or your device is defective. Go back to where you bought it and if they don't help contact Nokia directly.

Abhishek Pradhan

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
Hello guyz, thanks for the quick reply. I want to add that I'm not using the charger provided in the box. Becoz it doesn't fit into the socket. Instead, i'm using a blackberry USB charger. Am i doing it wrong?? Plz help friends. Thanks.

Abhishek Pradhan

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
Agree with "11B1P". Either you have a very poorly written app running constantly, or your device is defective. Go back to where you bought it and if they don't help contact Nokia directly.

Thanks for the reply. How long does the battery take to get fully charged? In my cases, it take around 65 minutes. Is it normal ??

Abhishek Pradhan

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
You either have something running in the background or you have a bad battery. Check your background apps. If nothing is running, then I would suggest returning it. It is a piece of electronics, so it very well may just be a bad battery.

no apps are running in the background. I long pressed the back button, and don't see anything except from the home screen. Is there any other way to check background running apps ?? Plz help me out. Thanks.

vishu_lumia

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site
no apps are running in the background. I long pressed the back button, and don't see anything except from the home screen. Is there any other way to check background running apps ?? Plz help me out. Thanks.

go to settings> > applications>back ground tasks> shows list of apps running in background

Last edited:

techiez

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
goto settings->applications->background tasks.

Also install battery pro+ app to see hourly usage of battery,
check data sense for your internet usage.
also do you get consistent 3g signal in your area? as repeated switching between 2g-3g can drain battery.

broar94

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
3 and an half hours of continuous screen (with high bandwidth) usage? That would be appropriate but you need to check with the app background if something's draining.

teckris

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
I would also like to Know about Mail Sync settings.
then about charging.. the phone shows Full but the charging is not complete most time.. anyway takes nearly 2hrs from low. Also the Standard charger charges fast.
I would suggest to wait for some more time after the battery is full and then after you feel its charged, turn off the charger, if phone lightsup at same time, charging is going on. else it will take some 2seconds or more to light up :D

Abhishek Pradhan

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
I would also like to Know about Mail Sync settings.
then about charging.. the phone shows Full but the charging is not complete most time.. anyway takes nearly 2hrs from low. Also the Standard charger charges fast.
I would suggest to wait for some more time after the battery is full and then after you feel its charged, turn off the charger, if phone lightsup at same time, charging is going on. else it will take some 2seconds or more to light up :D

Thanks! I've a question. As i see, lumia 620 has a 1300 mAH battery. I've a nokia X1-01. It has a 1430 mAH battery. And this battery fits into my lumia 620 just perfectly. Also, my battery backup seems to be better now using a 1430 mAh battery. So my question is, can i use a 1430 mAH battery in Lumia 620?? Is it legal? Will it violate the warrenty ?? I hope not. But i need to make sure. Thanks. Waiting for the response.

yaro da yaar

Banned
Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
1. Do not use any other charger, only use nokia specified charger for your phone.
2. May be your phone battery is not charging fully, so i recommend you to perform a full discharge and then charge battery to 100%.
3. Make sure that you are not running unnecessary background tasks, block unwanted tasks.
Go to settings-->background tasks(swipe to right page) and block unwanted tasks.

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
3 hours!! ok, now while you can consume a phone within 3 hours, its not like its impossible, but if I can be in any help I would suggest two things.

1) usually new phones, means loosing old habits, and replace them with new ones, meaning a new phone owner will tend to use his phone more, until he looses the excitement :p

2) if you install an app that is poorly designed, something might be wrong with the code, which if found it self in a bug, it might loop till it drains your battery clean.

3) last I travel a lot, and what I notice is that, my battery behavior changes from country to country, though my usage doesn't change, which made me come to the conclusion that the networks has its own way of getting the juice out of your phone, maybe 3g signal is very week where you are and your phone tends to power up to give you what you need. try going 2g for a couple of days, and see what happens.

and don't forget you can always go get a replacement

teckris

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Thanks! I've a question. As i see, lumia 620 has a 1300 mAH battery. I've a nokia X1-01. It has a 1430 mAH battery. And this battery fits into my lumia 620 just perfectly. Also, my battery backup seems to be better now using a 1430 mAh battery. So my question is, can i use a 1430 mAH battery in Lumia 620?? Is it legal? Will it violate the warrenty ?? I hope not. But i need to make sure. Thanks. Waiting for the response.

Really the battery changing must not be shown to NOKIA people. it will void the warranty.

By the way if u r using WiFi then make sure it runs under lockscreen :)
then set mail sync once a day or manually
keep brightness LOW [not automatic]
the Battery discharge is safe as you are using IE and Skype.. I too get 20 25% on heavy use. but it reduces after sometime.

by the way HOW you know BATTERY is FULL??

teckris

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
3) last I travel a lot, and what I notice is that, my battery behavior changes from country to country, though my usage doesn't change, which made me come to the conclusion that the networks has its own way of getting the juice out of your phone, maybe 3g signal is very week where you are and your phone tends to power up to give you what you need. try going 2g for a couple of days, and see what happens.

This.. The 3G signal is not as good in India. main channel here is still 2G. So the phone may be loosing power on searching 3G. but I have noticed that the new update has reduced the power consumption, it wont switch to 3G if the strength is too low :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon