Phone newbie and unbranding

anon(8327878)

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
Hi All, I got my L520 a month ago... it's my first smartphone. I'm incredibly pleased with it. I've been lurking here and feel I've learned a lot.

I have an ATT branded phone that I'm using with Straight Talk. My phone got what I think was the Amber update. I have Tap to wake (it works!) and most of the other features. I think I'd like to have Data Sense, but ATT blocks it. I've read about flashing with unbranded firmware but I have questions...

Is Data Sense worth it? I know this is a judgement call.

Are there other benefits to flashing besides the joy of liberating my phone from ATT?

Does my phone need to be unlocked before I flash it?

I've seen many product codes and firmware available for my specific phone RM-915 3043.0000.1324.0001 How do I choose an appropriate (the best) firmware to flash with?

Will I still get the Amber update if I flash now?

How do I back up my contacts before flashing? What about my apps and settings?

Should I remove my Straight Talk sim before flashing?

And finally something to give back. When I first started using my phone I would get about 1.75 - 2 days of battery before it would shutdown. The Battery app showed my rate at 2.5% / hour discharge. I've been experimenting and if I turn off my location services, my rate drops to 1.7% / hr. I can go a full 3 days without charging. Of course if I need my location, I just turn it on.

Thanks in advance,

Dave

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petazinta