Upto how much shutter speed OIS works?

anon(5650876)

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Here's my tweet to Nokia. With an image from my Lumia 1020.

@nokiahelps Focus infnity.ISO 100. S-speed 2.31s. Bt got blur. Upto how mch S-speed the builtin OIS works? https://t.co/GtFW88ua1C

As you can read,
Focus: infinity
ISO 100
Shutter Speed 2.31sec.

Phone camera was Handheld. No camer grip (yet to purchase).

Please tell me, upto how much maximum shutter speed, does the OIS works to produce blur free photos.

Anyone with the Camera Grip, please take 2 photos with Shutter speed 2-3 seconds...

one with camera Grip and one with handheld... We can compare the 2 results.

potatopower

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
Capturing a pic with Shutter speed > 1 second without a tripod will most likely result in blurry images.
OIS is great but it does have its limitations.

Bahamen

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
It depends on each individual person. Personally for me, I can hold the 1020 between 1/10s (high success rate) to 1s (many attempts required).

Generally though, it depends on many other factors:

1. Steadiness of your hands. Those with shaky hands will require faster shutter speed, and those with steadier hands can hold the phone much longer without blur.
2. Your posture, or the way you hold the phone. Whether you are holding the phone high above your head, whether you are squatting down, whether you are holding the phone in portrait or landscape. The more natural your posture, and the more support you have, the more likely you can avoid blur at longer shutter time. Whether you use the physical shutter button or on-screen button can also make a difference.
3. External factors - strong wind, or some buildings/roads/bridges may sway a little without you even realizing.
4. If you take a zoomed in shot, it will be more sensitive to blurring than a non-zoomed in shot.
5. If you have been actively moving your phone around, you may want to pause briefly to let the OIS settle down a little before taking a shot.
6. If you use certain special techniques, this can sometimes make a big difference, e.g. holding your breath, using a timer, taking several consecutive shots by holding down the shutter button, etc.

anon(5650876)

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
It depends on each individual person. Personally for me, I can hold the 1020 between 1/10s (high success rate) to 1s (many attempts required).

Generally though, it depends on many other factors:

1. Steadiness of your hands. Those with shaky hands will require faster shutter speed, and those with steadier hands can hold the phone much longer without blur.
2. Your posture, or the way you hold the phone. Whether you are holding the phone high above your head, whether you are squatting down, whether you are holding the phone in portrait or landscape. The more natural your posture, and the more support you have, the more likely you can avoid blur at longer shutter time. Whether you use the physical shutter button or on-screen button can also make a difference.
3. External factors - strong wind, or some buildings/roads/bridges may sway a little without you even realizing.
4. If you take a zoomed in shot, it will be more sensitive to blurring than a non-zoomed in shot.
5. If you have been actively moving your phone around, you may want to pause briefly to let the OIS settle down a little before taking a shot.
6. If you use certain special techniques, this can sometimes make a big difference, e.g. holding your breath, using a timer, taking several consecutive shots by holding down the shutter button, etc.

Ok. 1 second limit means our OIS is working correctly.. Right.?

If a phone doesn't have OIS, then how much this 1 second reduce down to?

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
1/10 is still much better than 1/30 or 1/40 you will be limited to if you didn't have OIS ...

For proper low light photography you should be using a tripod :)

anon(8555314)

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
It helps a lot to use a physical shutter button rather than the on-screen shutter. It helps even more to use a one or two second timer rather than the shutter button. The Camera Grip also helps to provide heft over a naked phone or minimal cover. Bracing arms against a physical object also makes a big difference.

Trying to state the limit is an impossible thing to do given all the factors that affect it. If you need a really clean shot, then use a tripod. If you don't, or you are just putting several decent photos on twitter or some such, then shoot a bunch of shots and pick your best option, crop and hit one touch fix and be done with it. That is where this device really shines, as you always have a decent camera in your possession, as if you were always carrying a unobtrusive point and shoot.

Bahamen

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Ok. 1 second limit means our OIS is working correctly.. Right.?

If a phone doesn't have OIS, then how much this 1 second reduce down to?

Like I said, this depends on so many factors that the shutter time varies for each person. For me personally, 1 second can be done (with some difficulty) with the 1020. Comparing this to my previous phone the 808 Pureview, I am not able to hold the 808 more than 1/7 seconds. So to me, the OIS works. It is more appropriate to compare the 1020 against the 808 because the size of the optics are relatively similar. Phones with smaller (and lighter) optics tend to be easier to hold steady, and I tend to have higher success rate with the Lumia 920 compared to the 1020.

In your case, you need to set a faster shutter speed until you can find your own comfort zone. Compare this to other phones, the 1020's OIS should generally allow you to use a slower shutter. This is something you can only learn by trial and error, holding a camera steady is more an art than a science. If you want to know whether your 1020's OIS is working correctly, try shaking the camera gently without pressing the shutter button. Once you half-press the shutter button and the focus lock is in place, that's when the OIS kicks in and counteract your gentle shaking. You should be able to see a difference before and after OIS (triggered by half-pressing the shutter).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon