Busted LCD Screen

sdoca

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

I dropped my 820 last night and it appears to have busted the LCD screen (black ink like blotch slowly spreading and taking up the screen). The touch panel digitzer is fine, no cracks and the touch capability is still good.

It's out of warranty and I've been calling around local repair shops to see how much it would cost to fix but am not getting very far. I've looked at some DIY videos but don't want to deal with heat guns/adhesive if possible. I've seen the whole assembly, (LCD, digitizer and frame) and wondering if that would be a good DIY option. Anybody have any experience with this sort of thing and can offer advice?

Thanks!

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
if you are very confident that you can fix this, use YouTube for tutorials , else try nokia care centre , I know that will be much more expensive or go to a local repair shop , they will surely fix LCD screen , btw what happens when you press the broken screen , does colour spread ? any liquid oozing out from the screen ?

sdoca

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Hi, the screen seems fine and no leaking. The screen is completely black now, but yesterday there was no spreading when touched and it still responds.

I'm not confident in replacing just the LCD which would involve separating it using heat and reapplying a new one with adhesive. I found that you can order a "LCD Screen and Digitizer Assembly with Front Housing" as a single unit and that looks simple enough to replace (undo some screws, unclip the board and connectors and attach to new assembly).

Sucks that I had to spend $14 more to not have the ATT logo on it, but still cheaper than a repair store. Faster too as the store quoted me 2-3 weeks and I should get the part in 5-7 business days.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon