Nokia Lumia Icon Vs. Samsung Ativ SE

Status
Not open for further replies.

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
After waffling back and forth in this thread I decided to get the ATIV. Got it earlier today, and so far I love it. I have no problem with the feel of Samsung phones because even though they are indeed thin plastic I have had very good luck with them in the past in the durability department. No plans to put 8.1 on it until later.
hopefully there will be an unlocked gsm version of this phone when i'm ready to purchase midsummer. I am on an mvno and have had problems in the past getting cdma phones working correctly with straight talk. hope you enjoy your new phone!

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Never had a phone with a replaceable battery, and I've only been caught with a dead phone like a handful of times. For those that have had those phones, you carry a spare battery at all times? I don't get it.

Exactly. I don't care about a replaceable battery myself either.

It is not one of the things I look for when looking for a phone lol. I'm sure they are cool to have but I have no need to try and keep up with two batteries and don't both batteries need to be charged? Seems like slight more hassle. Personally this is why I have a car charger and a portable charger. In this day and age, a removable battery is mot a necessity when you have portable chargers so again that being a defining factor for the se is null and void in my opinion.

As well as as soon as you drop your phone with a replaceable battery the battery comes flying out and skittering across the floor(had that happen) not to mention I hate phones with replaceable backs because water is so much easier to get into them.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
It always amazes me how many people on forums and boards argue over things like what their phone looks like or where the provider's logo is located. Who gives a flying #%$#! While looks are always subjective, I can at least see something like cars, clothing, and housing that are visible to the eye 99.9% the time being things that someone takes a little visual pride in. But a 3x5 inch piece of electronics that most people cover in huge clunky cases and keep in their pockets or purses more often than not?

Just think it's hilarious is all. Call me an old IT fart (and I'm sure some of you will) but to me a smartphone is a tool and I look for functionality over pure looks any day of the week. That said, I personally like the looks of the Samsung over the Icon, but if the Icon had an SD Card and removable battery in addition to its already better camera, I would own it already. But it doesn't. I guess some people put a higher priority on what they want their phone to do, now how it looks in a $20 case tucked away in their pocket. As I always say, to each their own.
My ssmartphon is a tool yes but it is also something I want to look at. If my phone is ugly to me, then I am not going to want it and with windows phones I love having a flashier design. Granted I am far younger than you are so our expectations are going to drastically differ.

My phone is never in a case. And it is usually always in my hand. Unless I am driving or some place I can't have it.

radmanvr

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
I have the Icon, I want the Ativ SE also but I have no use for 2 phones. They both look good. Only thing is Nokia exclusive apps.

brau0303

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
My 2 cents. I looked at what I wanted feature wise, 5" screen, Newer Tech (processor/memory), Expandable storage (this for various reasons). I tried the 1520 and liked it but it just seemed bigger than I wanted (kinda funny since my Note 3 is almost as big) so I had both the Icon and SE, I liked both, Both have 5" Screen & New tech, Both have build features I liked but, I kept the SE for the expandable storage (OEM software Nokia has a better bundle but MS may choose to add many of these to the os like with Data & Storage Sense) Nokia devices are always solid, Samsung Devices may not feel as nice as the Nokia's do but they are well made too. (I have had many of both) Take this as you will coming from an IT dog :) Tech is always a very personal choice decide what's right for you, get it.. Enjoy It..

Cheers
BR

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
What are these great Nokia apps?

My question too as the most important ones (Maps and Drive) are available on other devices there are few camera apps but besides that, what's really exclusive?

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

Batt1eRatt1e

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
I guess I'll throw my two cents in. I only played with the Icon for 5-10 minutes but I knew right away I didn't like it. I've had the GS3, GS4, Note 1 and 2, so I knew what to expect from Samsung. I think the ATIV SE feels much better and more premium. I think the screen is far better than what I seen on the Icon too. I love my ATIV SE and have been toying with it since yesterday. Far better than my iPhone 5S I sold.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Meh to you. But no it really isn't(to most WP owners) a better choice.

Nokia smartphone users have a few apps and its all of sudden it's a better choice? I could see if they added a different look or something, but its still the same WP on the Ativ SE, minus a few apps.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I am still torn between these two devices. I bought the Icon, and I really like it, but the SD card and removable battery are great features of the Ativ SE. Argh. Question is, will I ever use them? Unlikely. But it's good to have. :)

I don't think anyone can go wrong with either of these phones, really. Definitely the best phones WP has ever had, IMO (overall).

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
I am still torn between these two devices. I bought the Icon, and I really like it, but the SD card and removable battery are great features of the Ativ SE. Argh. Question is, will I ever use them? Unlikely. But it's good to have. :)

I don't think anyone can go wrong with either of these phones, really. Definitely the best phones WP has ever had, IMO (overall).
That's the thing about buying a new phone...have to look at features and decide what best suits you. It's such a personal needs decision. I agree with you, though. Can't go wrong with either of those phones.

brau0303

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
Something to consider, with Internal only storage you have access to a select group of folders the WP8.x OS allows, On a device with expandable storage - you have access to the root level of the storage card. you get the OS created folders and any folder structure you care to create. This allows you to easily see content copied to the device from your pc and locally on the device, that was very important to me since it makes it easy to find something copied to the sd card. (this holds true on any of the current wp8.x devices regardless of device brand) This may or may not matter to others, just thought I would note this.

Cheers
BR

radmanvr

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
So nothing really.

Well if its nothing to you than its nothing to you. but I use them on a daily basis I am a photo guy. I am no way saying the ATIV SE is inferior in any way. I like both phones but I do not need two phones. and the Nokia better suits my needs.

Matthew Becker1

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site

At this point, if it's a really difficult choice between two phones, chances are you'll be happy with whatever choice you make. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon