Who is buying the Lumia 830 when it comes out?

Gaurav Paul

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
I will probably skip the 730 and get the 830. Although I'm eagerly waiting to get the full specs of the phone in a couple of days.

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
If the camera is a 20MP PureView, I'll buy it for $350 off-contract for the base model (in terms of storage).

If the camera is a 10MP PureView, around $300 would be fair.

anon(5348756)

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
Well... I just destroyed my 920 yesterday dropping it on a bathroom's tile floor (more like, I left it on top of the toilet, which seemed flat, but wasn't, and the phone slid off when I wasn't looking :crying:. So now, depending on price, I'll be getting either another 920 or this 830. Can't wait for Thursday!
As a bonus, a picture of the mishap... :angry:
photo(24).JPG

SAM 77

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
If this phone has a Snapdragon 400 its off my list.

I don't want a downgrade from the 820.
Its GPU is pathetic compared to the Adreno 225 in the L820

slickxsparkie

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
I'm hoping there's going to be "there's one more thing" and they announce a super secret flagship. I've been on this 920 too long, but its still good to me

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
If this phone has a Snapdragon 400 its off my list.

I don't want a downgrade from the 820.
Its GPU is pathetic compared to the Adreno 225 in the L820

Same here. 720p I can probably get over, but SD400 is a deal breaker coming from a 1520.

SAM 77

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Same here. 720p I can probably get over, but SD400 is a deal breaker coming from a 1520.

I would like a 1520 but its just too big for me to live with as a daily driver, especially since I put my phone in my pocket when I go bike riding.

I really hope the news is not true but knowing MS and how lame they are I am not holding my breath. Now I got to focus my attention on the 930 which is not such a bad thing. I just wished it loooked more like a 1520. Hopefully my carrier has them in orange come upgrade time which will make it more attractive to me

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I would like a 1520 but its just too big for me to live with as a daily driver, especially since I put my phone in my pocket when I go bike riding.

I really hope the news is not true but knowing MS and how lame they are I am not holding my breath. Now I got to focus my attention on the 930 which is not such a bad thing. I just wished it loooked more like a 1520. Hopefully my carrier has them in orange come upgrade time which will make it more attractive to me

If you're not in the U.S. consider yourself lucky... I would have gone with a 930 for sure if AT&T or T-Mobile carried it. Unfortunately, it seems a near certainty now that the 830 comes with a SD400 and not a SD800. Looks like I'm probably just sticking with my 1520. It fits in most pockets (I wear slim jeans) but the size is a bit tedious at times.

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
am I alone in feeling disappointed by a completely midding device here? Other than the 10MP camera (which we know very little about), nothing here suggests the high mid-range device. I mean, it's the same basic SoC as the Lumia 630. How is this a "win" unless it comes in at a really great price?

I genuinely want someone to help me to "look on the bright side of life" here, because I was so hopeful for this device.

SAM 77

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
I guess I should, I'm in Australia and as long as you are not with Telstra you doing ok down here with regards to windows phone.

Really disappointed about the SD400, its a downgrade in overall performance even according to the WPC article comparing the 630 to a 1020.

I just hope its not true and I am jumping the gun with disappointment.

am I alone in feeling disappointed by a completely midding device here? Other than the 10MP camera (which we know very little about), nothing here suggests the high mid-range device. I mean, it's the same basic SoC as the Lumia 630. How is this a "win" unless it comes in at a really great price?

I genuinely want someone to help me to "look on the bright side of life" here, because I was so hopeful for this device.

I'm with you bro I fail to see how this is a high mid range device.

A bump in screen resolution allied with **** poor GPU performance is not an improvement imo.
A 10MP pureview is not what I consider close to a 20MP shooter.
It might entice the people with 5/6/7 series phones but for me its not what I am looking for in an upgrade from my 820

Last edited by a moderator:

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Seriously? I'm afraid I'd probably break it while trying... it's worth a try I guess. I'll explore the topic, thanks for pointing that out (the screen is indeed perfect, it's just the outer glass that's broken).

UPDATE: Jeez, from what I'm seeing on Youtube this is far from easy. I have to take apart the whole phone to get to the screen so I can repair the digitizer... phew. I mean it's worth a try before I go ahead and buy a full new phone, but this is going to be pretty complicated for a non-handy person like me.
Get a complete LCD and the repair should be quite easy and cost less than $50.

anon(5348756)

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
Everyone needs to calm down pre-judging the 830 for "having a Snapdragon 400 CPU". We do not know this. This is a rumor. I wish life were easy and manufacturers followed Qualcomm's lineup: SD200 for budget phones, SD400 for low end, SD600 for mid-tier and SD800 for flagships. Sadly this is never the case (there's barely any SD600 that I can think of at least).

We'll find out tomorrow. Meanwhile, chill.

AlexanderPD

Feb 25, 2012
Visit site
Everyone needs to calm down pre-judging the 830 for "having a Snapdragon 400 CPU". We do not know this. This is a rumor. I wish life were easy and manufacturers followed Qualcomm's lineup: SD200 for budget phones, SD400 for low end, SD600 for mid-tier and SD800 for flagships. Sadly this is never the case (there's barely any SD600 that I can think of at least).

We'll find out tomorrow. Meanwhile, chill.

we had some valid reason to think that its a S400, because of this screenshot:
http://www.wpdang.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/WPDang_Lumia-830-6.jpg

SOC name is 8926, so Snapdragon 400 (just google "Snapdragon 8926" to confirm) and all the people who wants to buy this phone freaked out (including myself).

Now, Daniel Rubino said that Lumia 830 will not have a Snapdragon 400 in this tweet: https://twitter.com/Daniel_Rubino/status/507136390170034176
He is a pretty reliable source and i pretty believe him, so now i can consider again this phone as "buyable" XD

Sport Driver

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
Maybe 2 versions of it ? One with 10 MP camera and SD 400 and one with 20 MP and SD 800 ? Or this could just be development device. Oh yeah, long 18 hours to go. Let's see.

Sent from my B85M-HD3 using Tapatalk

keerthi vasan

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
Maybe 2 versions of it ? One with 10 MP camera and SD 400 and one with 20 MP and SD 800 ? Or this could just be development device. Oh yeah, long 18 hours to go. Let's see.

Sent from my B85M-HD3 using Tapatalk

2 versions with such difference in specs under the same series is not possible. They have never done that before. The phone in that image might well be a older one maybe be even before or somewhere immediately after the McLaren was cancelled. So to cover that hole they might have beefed up the specs of this one. Let's just wait for a day. The truth will be out then

uberlaff

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
I was going to try to stretch it to April 2015 for Windows Threshold and McLaren but the main mic just died on my 920. I tried replacing the mic on the 920 and it didn't fix it so it looks like I'm in the market for a phone sooner than later. I'm considering this or an HTC One M8. I'm also not confident in HTC's ability to support the phone long-term (but it is damn nice hardware) so I'm slightly leaning towards the 830 for now.

Here are my conditions to buy on the 830:
Snapdragon 800 more newer
5" screen or larger
2000 mah battery or larger
Thin and light build
Fast Camera with OIS

The one thing that is driving me crazy with the 920 (and it sounds like the 1020, 1520, and 930 share the same problem) is it takes too long to launch the camera and take pictures. I'm ok with the camera being 10mp if it can take great pictures lightening fast.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes