Has anyone seen this ? Icon/denim

anon(5445874)

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Yes, but that was back when Verizon was still telling lies to itself about how it was going to support windows phone. Verizon is currently one of the companies I can't stand anymore. I use to love them but now they are garbage. FACT: if you want a good Microsoft Lumia experience, you need to be on AT&T or even Cricket. Back on WP7, I was on Verizon. I could sense the impending doom of Verizon's nasty attitude and jumped ship for AT&T for the 920. I immediately (in Las Vegas) had way better reception. Areas that were dead spots with Verizon were suddenly not dead spots. My 920 is over 2 years old now, the mic and few other things started to stop working (probably because I've abused that phone). So to keep me happy till there's a new flagship, I went to AIO which was purchased by cricket. I just got the 630 and even though it's a low powered phone, it's actually doing something's better than the 920. Xbox music works flawlessly now. Back on Verizon I was paying 120 a month and they charged extra for visual voicemail. On ATT that was down to 75. On Cricket, with autopsy I'm paying $35 a month and I get FREE visual voicemail. And it's not some stupid app, it's the built in windows phone visual voicemail. I'll probably go back to ATT when the flagship comes out just because it won't be available on cricket. Anyway,.. People need to stop wasting their money on the over priced Verizon nonsense. If you live in a city where there are options, get out NOW.

NOLATechy

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I'm giving Verizon one last chance. If AT&T releases the Denim firmware update for the Lumia 1520 before Verizon releases it for the Lumia Icon (if they release it at all), then VZW can ki55 my a55 and I'm off to the world of AT&T!

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft has always said that all phones would get these updates. That doesn't mean that the carriers will actually send them out, sadly.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Yes, but that was back when Verizon was still telling lies to itself about how it was going to support windows phone. Verizon is currently one of the companies I can't stand anymore. I use to love them but now they are garbage. FACT: if you want a good Microsoft Lumia experience, you need to be on AT&T or even Cricket. Back on WP7, I was on Verizon. I could sense the impending doom of Verizon's nasty attitude and jumped ship for AT&T for the 920. I immediately (in Las Vegas) had way better reception. Areas that were dead spots with Verizon were suddenly not dead spots. My 920 is over 2 years old now, the mic and few other things started to stop working (probably because I've abused that phone). So to keep me happy till there's a new flagship, I went to AIO which was purchased by cricket. I just got the 630 and even though it's a low powered phone, it's actually doing something's better than the 920. Xbox music works flawlessly now. Back on Verizon I was paying 120 a month and they charged extra for visual voicemail. On ATT that was down to 75. On Cricket, with autopsy I'm paying $35 a month and I get FREE visual voicemail. And it's not some stupid app, it's the built in windows phone visual voicemail. I'll probably go back to ATT when the flagship comes out just because it won't be available on cricket. Anyway,.. People need to stop wasting their money on the over priced Verizon nonsense. If you live in a city where there are options, get out NOW.

Actual fact: AT&T's record on WP support is no better than VZW. If you think otherwise, look up all of the complaints about previous updates. Another actual fact: VZW currently has more WP devices available for sale than AT&T.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Actual fact: AT&T's record on WP support is no better than VZW. If you think otherwise, look up all of the complaints about previous updates. Another actual fact: VZW currently has more WP devices available for sale than AT&T.

Of course, if you count the ones that have official Windows Phone 8.1, which really should be the only ones for sale now, AT&T has 3, while Verizon only has 1 (and who knows if they'll ever see another update). You can say AT&T used to be worse, but it's hard to argue that they are worse now.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site

Have to disagree. Back when ATT had multiple WP7 devices Verizon stocked only the abysmal Trophy. With WP8 ATT had the 920, 820, 8x and did an ok job with them. VZW got the Ativ S, eventually got the 928 and as usual stuck them in the back room. ATT went on to get the 520, 620(via AIO), 1020, 925 then the 1520. Update wise they have been late a few times but always got the update out and as far as I recall haven't skipped one yet. Verizon, as we are seeing have gone so far as to retire the Icon after less than a year. They've had the Ativ SE and now have the M8 (which ATT will get soon) and again no promotion. There's no question, ATT is by far the best carrier for WP in the US.

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
Actual fact: AT&T's record on WP support is no better than VZW. If you think otherwise, look up all of the complaints about previous updates.

Most complaint about updates have been due to impatience. The US in general, due to the way carriers are involved, normally do not get updates before other regions. When any device gets an update in a different region, people start asking, then complaining, then demanding why their region doesn't have it as well. AT&T is not stranger.

Looking here Availability in North America - Nokia
AT&T seems to be the only carrier with Cyan on all their devices (unless you count cricket, the 1 short) as opposed to T-mobile and Verizon, who are all "Under testing" still. The Icon should have been the 1st device to get Cyan in the US....

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Of course, if you count the ones that have official Windows Phone 8.1, which really should be the only ones for sale now, AT&T has 3, while Verizon only has 1 (and who knows if they'll ever see another update). You can say AT&T used to be worse, but it's hard to argue that they are worse now.

Have to disagree. Back when ATT had multiple WP7 devices Verizon stocked only the abysmal Trophy. With WP8 ATT had the 920, 820, 8x and did an ok job with them. VZW got the Ativ S, eventually got the 928 and as usual stuck them in the back room. ATT went on to get the 520, 620(via AIO), 1020, 925 then the 1520. Update wise they have been late a few times but always got the update out and as far as I recall haven't skipped one yet. Verizon, as we are seeing have gone so far as to retire the Icon after less than a year. They've had the Ativ SE and now have the M8 (which ATT will get soon) and again no promotion. There's no question, ATT is by far the best carrier for WP in the US.

Most complaint about updates have been due to impatience. The US in general, due to the way carriers are involved, normally do not get updates before other regions. When any device gets an update in a different region, people start asking, then complaining, then demanding why their region doesn't have it as well. AT&T is not stranger.

Looking here Availability in North America - Nokia
AT&T seems to be the only carrier with Cyan on all their devices (unless you count cricket, the 1 short) as opposed to T-mobile and Verizon, who are all "Under testing" still. The Icon should have been the 1st device to get Cyan in the US....

If someone is continually posting something that is obviously false, just ignore them. Don't waste your time.

Checking posting history is helpful to this end as well.

OwenDL

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Such a shame to see the Carriers bottlenecking the progress and success of Windows Phone. While MS may be making the updates, I don't see WP going anywhere until these brilliant updates are released to the phones.

oviedofreak82

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
It really should come as no surprise that Sprint, T-Mobile and Verizon have no love for Microsoft and Windows Phone since they are all part of the OHA with the parent company being Google. (Verizon was sucked in as Vodafone which is a member of OHA owned 45% of Verizon Wireless' stock until September 2013) With that being the case, they will naturally push the product/operating system of the parent company that they are part of. Therefore all other OS sold by them will get second or third class citizen treatment and pushed to the side. Microsoft has said all Windows phone 8.x devices will receive denim, but until they can either directly release the updates and bypass the carrier or they actively work with the carriers, any further updates from the aforementioned service carriers are more than likely DOA.

This is unjust because the carriers (as well as the developer community) are playing a role (albeit marginal) on bringing down Microsoft/Windows Phone's value and credence. You want better quality apps, visit one of the big two. You want better support from the party vendors, go Apple or Android. I am in no way bashing Windows Phone as I have been with the platform since day one, but one has to step back and take off the rose colored glasses and see things for what they are. Until Microsoft goes thermonuclear on US carriers, marketing and advertising, and the developer community, they'll still be trying to play catchup as the distant third OS option. And until that happens those of us on any other carrier other than AT&T, we're fresh out of luck and can/should expect to hear that our beloved devices are EOL and will no longer receive sorry from them.

kencaz

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
MS should just buy or create it's own Wireless Company. Then we would be assured of updates for WP and maybe even better reception. Maybe they could purchase Sprint sell all their Flagship WP's and never release IOS updates... I would love that...

marinoe

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
MS should just buy or create it's own Wireless Company. Then we would be assured of updates for WP and maybe even better reception. Maybe they could purchase Sprint sell all their Flagship WP's and never release IOS updates... I would love that...

Fun part is that iOS updates are not carrier dependent

anon(5445874)

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I would love this. Also, i'm really surprised that apple has not already done it. But I would really like to see Microsoft just create something new. I'm sure someone at Microsoft Research has been thinking about something new and better than wifi & cell towers.

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site

Re bolded: Verizon had the 8X (with Qi), 822 (with Qi -- optional?), 928 and Ativ SE. Icon and then M8 now.

Re italicized: this is setting the bar pretty low :D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes