635 owners would you recommend this phone now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

barbaro123

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
Im looking for a new phone and used a WP 8x a few years back. I loved the tiles and how easy it was to use. I like Android but Im tired of it. I know this phone has no front camera but I will live with that. Overall, would you buy one again?

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I cleaned out the thread so we can start over.

Let me try to help here.

I have the Lumia 635.
Had the phone for a few months now and have no real complaints.
Of course it's not top of the heap yet it has been a pleasure to use.

Most definitely a great all around device for daily use.
I would recommend the 635 and did give my wife one for her very first smartphone.

We are both happy with ours.
Someone I know just upgraded his AT&T 520 to the 635 on my recommendation.
He was impressed with the phone mostly because of LTE.

Have a look at the 635 reviews here on WC...
Good luck!

Stephen Pedersen

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
I own one and I love it. It's a great little phone. The two drawbacks that I can think of are that it doesn't have a proximity sensor and that it only has 512mb ram. Those are two minor things though. It still does everything I want though, plus it doesn't break the bank. I own this phone outright. That's important to me.

mpin67

Oct 3, 2014
Visit site
I just bought a 635 as a trial run to see if I would like the format before I invest in a higher end model such as the 830 or HTC. I am coming from a Moto x 1st gen. I will say I am enjoying this phone very much. The new os is nice and runs very smoothly. As for the phone itself I am very impressed at how nice it runs and feels in hand, it really feels alot nicer than the price reflects. I have not encountered any lag issues or freezes. I like the phone so much I might actually keep it for a while as my main phone. I would recommend this phone without hesitation. If you want a very nice screen protector go with the MYBAT tempered glass screen protector it installed in seconds and is very nice worth all of the $6 I paid for it.

tpbklake

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
Yes I would definitely recommend the 635 as a Window Phone 8 'communication device'. We all know about the no front-facing camera and the lack of flash on the rear camera, but like you I was willing to accept this. I use my 635 for job-related email to O365 Exchange, plus my 2 Hotmail/Outlook.com accounts as well as Twitter and Facebook. I have wifi coverage at home and work which keeps my data usage in check, but the LTE speed is definitely nice when I need to use it.

The Bluetooth support works just fine with my Toyota Camry and the additional of Cortana's features was a great bonus. So with my usage pattern as strictly a communication tool, I can easily get 3 days of use out of a single charge.

Plus the fact that Amazon has the AT&T Go version for $79.00 was the biggest reason I got one.

k72

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site
I would definitely buy it again. I love it so much I've traded out my Android tablet for a Windows tablet, the main reason being that this thing runs so smoothly! With the exception of the occasional loading/resuming screen, it is seamless. And those don't bother me because I know it's working, as opposed to my old Android phone that would just lock up (for example, I'd type something and nothing would happen and then suddenly it would all go at once and really screw things up). With half the RAM of my old phone, it still runs so much faster.

The battery life is great. I use it a lot at school, but it easily goes a full day and still has charge for the evening. Sometimes I go two days without a charge.

I almost didn't switch because I loved Swift Key, but the Windows keyboard beats it hands down.

I told my parents, who are looking for new phones, that this is a great choice because it is just so simple to use. I'm not interested in customizing every single little detail of the OS; I just want to have a phone that is easy to use, does what I need, and is enjoyable to use, and this covers it.

Honestly, the only thing that I feel this phone lacks is the flash, but not for pictures (I rarely used a flash even when it was available), but for use as a flashlight when I'm coming across the yard at night. But even that is a minor thing. I would have loved to get it at the current prices (I bought mine like the second day it was out, having no idea about Windows phones at all, but needing a new phone in a hurry), but even so, it is well worth the cost.

Philip Hamm

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
I bought a 635 in July to replace an old Android Gingerbread phone. I love it. It was lost/stolen on my vacation in September/October and I bought another one to replace it. It's a great little phone IMO and I've been very happy with mine. I would definitely recommend it.

dlalonde

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Yes I would. I love my 635. I would have loved to have a 830 but couldn't afford it. But for the money the 635 is a great phone.

But, you still have to consider that, for the same price, you get a little more with some Android phones like the Moto G. A flash for the camera for instance (the Nokia camera, even if it's really good, is not that great in low light). And, truth be told, Android is a beautiful, becoming more beautiful, OS.

But for me personally, I prefer Windows Phone and the Microsoft ecosystem. I don't like nor trust Google. So yes I'd recommend the 635 because there are less downsides compared to an Android phone.

mj0

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
Only to people I know will never ever need a front facing camera or an LED flash. Which limits the potential advice seekers to roughly 0. It's perfect for me because I know I won't need either.

Philip Hamm

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
But, you still have to consider that, for the same price, you get a little more with some Android phones like the Moto G. A flash for the camera for instance (the Nokia camera, even if it's really good, is not that great in low light). And, truth be told, Android is a beautiful, becoming more beautiful, OS.

But for me personally, I prefer Windows Phone and the Microsoft ecosystem. I don't like nor trust Google. So yes I'd recommend the 635 because there are less downsides compared to an Android phone.
The Moto G only accepts a 32G micro-SD card. That's a limitation I'm not willing to live with, as I use my phone as a music player and like to have a LOT of music, and still have room to take video or pictures galore. Also the Moto G is substantially more expensive than the 635.

dlalonde

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
The Moto G only accepts a 32G micro-SD card. That's a limitation I'm not willing to live with, as I use my phone as a music player and like to have a LOT of music, and still have room to take video or pictures galore. Also the Moto G is substantially more expensive than the 635.

That may depends on where you buy it. Koodo in Canada for instance has both the 635 and Moto G at 0$ with the same conditions (hence my comparison).

https://shop.koodomobile.com/phones/models/index.html

Otherwise the SD card support is also a good point. I didn't know the Moto G didn't support more than 32 gb (I'm about to get a 64 gb myself for the same reasons).

ajb1965

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
I just picked up a 635 yesterday and so far I'm really liking it. My first WP was the Icon and I really liked that phone a lot. Unfortunately, I switched carriers and tried going back to Android for a few months and hated it. Facing a short budget and the limited selection of new WP phones at T-Mob (just heard the rumor that the M8 is finally being released this week :eck: oh well! ) I decided it was worth the trade off of fewer hardware features for a better OS. You will be surprised at what you get for such little cost.

TechmeIN64

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
I bought a 635 in September because my iPhone 4s was stolen and I had been interested in getting a Windows Phone as my next device for a long time. I didn't want to use my upgrade just yet so I bought it outright for $100. I was wary of the low specs and lack of a front facing cam but I went for it because I needed a phone. I have to say, it has suited all of my needs perfectly. I rarely miss taking selfies, though it does arise at times. Performance is stellar, and I am on the DP. There is no lag when navigating around the OS and IE and app performance is very good, much better than my aging 4s. Having an SD card slot is a huge help.
However, the 535 has made me a bit jealous. It has the front cam, the 5" screen, an 1G of ram. I know that at the moment it is only sold in limited countries, but if it ever came to your country, I'd say go for that.
But regardless, the 635 is a great device and I highly recommend it.

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
If you don't need the 4G/LTE, I would recommend a 535 instead. This being said, I'd wait for first reviews/tests to see how good is the 535.

mhc48

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Since there is no flagship Lumia and the 830 and 735s both have drawbacks which make them not worth either buying outright or signing up for another two years for, and since I don't want to jump carriers to a 930 CDMA Verizon phone, I'm sticking with my 635. It happens to be a great phone. Of course, I do wish it had a better camera and a flash, but I have to admit it, even so, with DP it perfectly well fulfills all my daily needs. The rest is just my own technolust for more and better and the latest. None of the currently available phones really fit that bill either. So I'll just stay with the 635 for now. And if I had to buy a new phone now, I'd do the same.

anon8433722

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site
I would recommend the 635 to anyone. It's a solid phone. I have had mine just under 24 hours and I restored 80% of the major purchases I made for previous Windows Phone devices. Obviously 512MB of RAM could be a deal breaker for some apps, but that is limited to mostly gaming. So far I cannot complain much (if at all) about my experience with this phone. I'm running DP, and the experience has been smooth with one force closure of IE. I'm running the phone off of battery to see what my estimated usage will be today. My hope is that I will have at least 40% of my battery remaining before I leave for work. If I fall to that point or below before I leave the office it's going on the charger.

I also like the removable battery and expandable memory. Apps installed on the SD card! Missed that on Android and iOS.

Ten Four

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Yes. I have had mine for a couple of days and it is a worthy upgrade over the Lumia 520 I had previously. I particularly like the slightly larger and more vibrant screen and the processor seems to make everything flow better. I set mine up the exact same way as my Lumia 520 and everything runs slightly smoother and faster. I haven't given the camera a lot of use, but I believe it is also somewhat better in low light situations. I don't miss the camera button at all since I have been using Fhotolens, which provides a giant on-screen button and is much quicker to launch than the Lumia apps. One thing I will say is the plastic case is very slippery and I can't wait to get my Fosmon case in the mail before I drop the phone. Battery life also seems excellent so far. I thought I would miss auto brightness, but I don't at all. It is easy to select the brightness you need from the drop down.

etad putta

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
Highly recommend this phone. Had a lumia 920 and a 521 a while back. Spent some time with a lg optimus pro and an iphone 5 that i sold today. I bounce around a bit on phones, but the best value keeps bringing me back to Windows phone. Camera shutter speed is good, phone speed is great, has all the apps i need, I have used Here drive + before and like it. Struggling to find negatives. I'm very happy!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon