Who thinks MSFT has lost my phone?

gMaesterUK

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
My Lumia 830 started un-commanded reboots a few weeks ago, culminating in a reboot loop which required a Hard Reset (nothing else worked!).
Sadly the reboots continued.

Contacted MSFT who said to try using the Recovery Tool. Again, constant reboots.

Next MSFT said to send it to their repair centre, managed by ANOVO. UPS collected it, and delivered it as expected. Kept checking MSFT's Track Repair page, kept showing that it was booked awaiting delivery.
Today I contacted MSFT via their Live Chat, gave IMEI number, 10mins later they then asked for confirmation that UPS delivered it, so gave the tracking number. Another 15mins wait, was asked for my contact details & address, then told that my case has been escalated. When I asked what's happening, was simply told that someone would contact me!

So apart from feeling like a mushroom, I can only hazard a guess that somehow my phone has gone walkies!
Anyone else have any ideas why they couldn't give me a direct answer? Surely, if it was there they'd have simply said there's been a delay in booking it in?

So hard to run my business without a mobile phone!
My partner (an iPhone 6 user) is smiling like a cat that's got the cream because "Apple would have simply swapped it out in store, no hassle".

G.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Hmm... I've experienced a similar, but worse, scenario with my L1020... but it wasn't exactly Microsoft since it was a third-party service center accredited by Microsoft (until Microsoft launches and official store here). The service center made a mistake in encoding my details and my phone was magically transformed into a L1320 and my address moved 450 km southeast from where I actually live!

But despite that, 90 days later I've got my L1020 back almost good as new (well, I gave them my phone almost good as new).

Those around me (almost all of them had a fruit device) were grinning and saying exactly what your partner told you: "Apple would have simply replaced your phone if it was an iPhone" or something like that.

The problem is that the company is so big and it seems that they are just in the process of establishing their Microsoft Store identity - Microsoft really didn't have their own store as much as Apple did, so one could only imagine the convolution the complications Microsoft could be going through. Most of the time, the personnel we get in touch with aren't even the ones who "actually" handle our device. The bigger the company, the harder it gets to manage every single customer - just like most governments.

Nonetheless, I believe they won't "lose" your phone - that would oblige them to replace it with a brand new equivalent! :cool:

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I hope things end well for you gMaester...

Sent my 535 in for repair thru a second party warranty repair service in March.
After waiting patiently for over 5 weeks I called the service number and magically the phone was on it way back via FedEx 2 day.

Very happy to have it returned although it was returned in the same functional state as it was when mailed to them.
Microsoft seems to not be handling repair services as well as Nokia.

In the past for me Nokia care didn't fool around.
The 2 times I used their warranty service shipping was no cost both directions and the devices were returned repaired in 7 days.

Microsoft service needs to step up!

gMaesterUK

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for your input.

I'll give them until Friday, then I'll give them both barrels!
I too hope they find my phone, but that Live Chat didn't inspire confidence!

Hopefully MSFT will get around to sorting out their repair side. Next time I think I'll sign up to a Business contract with immediate swap-outs! I was just being cheap ;)

G.

PLGomez

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Same thing happened to me. I had to call and tell them that the tracking shows its been delivered and that it was already past the 10 business days turnaround time they quoted with it still showing pending receipt. Microsoft sent me a replacement. A couple of weeks later, out of nowhere, I received my old one. Now i've got two ;-)

Gaming Life

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
Same ms repair in Canada is horrible. They did not fix any of my issues and sent the phone back saying replacement screw were replaced. I called back and they said send it again by me paying for the shipping. Is there any one I can contact for this issue?? I sent my phone in twice and they did not fix anything.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Same thing happened to me. I had to call and tell them that the tracking shows its been delivered and that it was already past the 10 business days turnaround time they quoted with it still showing pending receipt. Microsoft sent me a replacement. A couple of weeks later, out of nowhere, I received my old one. Now i've got two ;-)

Now that... that is just hilarious (on their part).:cool:

What are you plans with your extra phone?

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Same ms repair in Canada is horrible. They did not fix any of my issues and sent the phone back saying replacement screw were replaced. I called back and they said send it again by me paying for the shipping. Is there any one I can contact for this issue?? I sent my phone in twice and they did not fix anything.
If it's a warranty repair, check your local consumer laws.

Mellifluous

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
My Lumia 830 started un-commanded reboots a few weeks ago, culminating in a reboot loop which required a Hard Reset (nothing else worked!).
Sadly the reboots continued.

Contacted MSFT who said to try using the Recovery Tool. Again, constant reboots.

Next MSFT said to send it to their repair centre, managed by ANOVO. UPS collected it, and delivered it as expected. Kept checking MSFT's Track Repair page, kept showing that it was booked awaiting delivery.
Today I contacted MSFT via their Live Chat, gave IMEI number, 10mins later they then asked for confirmation that UPS delivered it, so gave the tracking number. Another 15mins wait, was asked for my contact details & address, then told that my case has been escalated. When I asked what's happening, was simply told that someone would contact me!

So apart from feeling like a mushroom, I can only hazard a guess that somehow my phone has gone walkies!
Anyone else have any ideas why they couldn't give me a direct answer? Surely, if it was there they'd have simply said there's been a delay in booking it in?

So hard to run my business without a mobile phone!
My partner (an iPhone 6 user) is smiling like a cat that's got the cream because "Apple would have simply swapped it out in store, no hassle".

G.

The person on chat couldn't give you a direct answer because different departments and timezone probably.

Anovo will have their own system Microsoft chat won't have access to.

Anovo are pretty good at responding when a case has been escalated, I'm sure you'll hear today or tomorrow.

Normally though they tend to turn around the repair in a week (e.g. if you sent it in today you'd get it back next Thurs/Fri) and if not, it's worth checking in with them sooner. Their website also has a repair tracking service, where you use the reference in their confirmation email to you and your postcode, and you can see the status on their end.

http://techsupport.a-novo.co.uk/Tracking---Search

gMaesterUK

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
The saga continues, just had an email from MSFT Escalations asking for a copy of my receipt.
Strange this, as I had enclosed it in the parcel as they requested the receipt as per their delivery instructions!

@Mellifluous the tracker still shows "Online booking made", hasn't progressed to "Received at Nokia".

G.

Last edited:

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
My partner (an iPhone 6 user) is smiling like a cat that's got the cream because "Apple would have simply swapped it out in store, no hassle"
Yes, but you got to smile like the cat that's got the cream the entire time until now because he was stuck with an iPhone (and still will be when you get yours back). You need to rethink just how full that glass is.

gMaesterUK

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
Hey @HoosierDaddy, my partner was a 920 user but didn't want to wait until Win10... Very impatient!

As an update, ANOVO have finished with my phone and it's passed QA so waiting for UPS to deliver it! Sadly due to Monday being a Bank Holiday, won't get it until Tuesday :cry

I wonder if they've flashed it with Update 2? I can live in hope!

G.

Mellifluous

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
Hey @HoosierDaddy, my partner was a 920 user but didn't want to wait until Win10... Very impatient!

As an update, ANOVO have finished with my phone and it's passed QA so waiting for UPS to deliver it! Sadly due to Monday being a Bank Holiday, won't get it until Tuesday :cry

I wonder if they've flashed it with Update 2? I can live in hope!

G.

Fyi you can get the update 2 by signing up to Windows Insider (for the Windows 10 preview). Go though the process, signing up for the fast stream, then wait for the first update to install (WP 8.1 update 2). When installed, reset your phone otherwise it will continue to install Windows 10.

gMaesterUK

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
Fyi you can get the update 2 by signing up to Windows Insider (for the Windows 10 preview). Go though the process, signing up for the fast stream, then wait for the first update to install (WP 8.1 update 2). When installed, reset your phone otherwise it will continue to install Windows 10.

I have been thinking about it, I'll wait and see on Tuesday if they've flashed it with Update 2 or not. Would like it just for the Reset Protection.

G.

gMaesterUK

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
Got my phone back today, sadly no Update 2.
I'll reserve judgement on the repair for a few days to see if the reboot issue returns!

G.

gMaesterUK

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
Well it's been a day now since getting my phone back, :touchwood: no reboots.
Only issue I've had is the gyroscope wasn't working, however a Soft Reset fixed that issue...

G.

gMaesterUK

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
Oops, had a un-commanded reboot today, luckily only one, but I'm watching my phone like a hawk now...
I just can't be without a phone at the moment, shame MSFT don't offer swap-outs.

G.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon