Lumia 950 DUAL Sim or Single Sim?

Benjo de Lange

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
Both Variants are listed in Switzerland. The Dual Sim Variant is actually CHF 100/-- cheaper as the Single Sim Variant. Are there any hardware disadvantages with the Dual SIM compard to the Single?

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I found out that a differnece ist LTE 4 and 6. Dual sim "only" has LTE 4 with 150m download, Single sim LTE 6 with 300m download. Any others?

Interesting, where did you see that?

Link to source?

On Microsoft's website both have identical LTE bands available, personally I'd get the Dual Sim version. It's a no brainer as it's cheaper and you get additional functionality. It's better to have dual sim and the option to use it later opposed to not have it at all.

Not to mention it beats carrying around two phones.

johnnyrussoa3

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
I believe in the US that the Microsoft stores are only selling the dual SIM version. I went to a local store to preorder and the salesman told me that the only version they offer.

Benjo de Lange

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
Interesting, where did you see that?

Link to source?

On Microsoft's website both have identical LTE bands available, personally I'd get the Dual Sim version. It's a no brainer as it's cheaper and you get additional functionality. It's better to have dual sim and the option to use it later opposed to not have it at all.

Not to mention it beats carrying around two phones.
Dual Sim:
LTE max. Datengeschwindigkeit Download: 150 MBit/s (Kat. 4)
LTE max. Datengeschwindigkeit Upload: 50 MBit/s (Kat. 4)

Single Sim:
LTE max. Datengeschwindigkeit Download: 300 MBit/s (Kat. 6)
LTE max. Datengeschwindigkeit Upload: 50 MBit/s (Kat. 6)

So the lte bands are the same, yes, but not the category. Found on the Microsoft website, comparing connection possibilities.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
Dual Sim:

Single Sim:

So the lte bands are the same, yes, but not the category. Found on the Microsoft website, comparing connection possibilities.

That's a curious difference. Why wouldn't the Dual-SIM support the same? The processors can easily handle it.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Dual Sim:

Single Sim:

Ahh.. that's new, I looked at the bands on the 9th Oct and again a few days ago (also took a snippet off the bands for the XL and 950). So would've seen the difference as it just below the TD-LTE field. Hence why I asked you for the source :).
Dual vs Single - 950.PNG

That's a curious difference. Why wouldn't the Dual-SIM support the same? The processors can easily handle it.

I'm also curious about that too.

Man, the list of questions just gets longer lol.

manicottiK

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
OK, is AT&T currently operating any Class 6 LTE service? Have they announced it? Last year, they said that carrier aggregation was going to be used to increase network capacity, not to increase speeds for users. In practical terms, has an AT&T wireless customer ever achieved an actual download at >150 Mbps? If not, does the last of Class 6 service matter for a device that we'll likely replace in two years?

Benjo de Lange

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
Probably not. Class 4 is fast enough. I was and am just wondering why the dual SIM is listed around chf100 cheaper as the single SIM variant in Switzerland. If it's just the LTE class difference, I'll go with the DS.

stoneshop

Oct 12, 2015
Visit site
Can you give me a link to the Swiss store? I've been trying to order an L950 dual sim at Fnac Portugal but they seem to have a problem with their payment system. Maybe the Swiss will do better.

rw_ga

Dec 2, 2015
Visit site
I was looking over the technical specs listed on the MS website at the below URL.

microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/Microsoft-Lumia-950-XL--Unlocked/productID.326602300

Networks:

GSM network: 850MHz, 900MHz, 1800MHz, 1900MHz
GSM max data speed DL: EGPRS 296.0kbps
GSM max data speed UL: EGPRS 236.8kbps
WCDMA network: Band 1 (2100MHz), Band 2 (1900MHz), Band 4 (1700/2100 MHz), Band 5 (850MHz), Band 8 (900MHz)
WCDMA max data speed DL: 42.2Mbps (Cat 24)
WCDMA max data speed UL: 5.76Mbps (Cat 6)
LTE FDD network: Band 1 (2100MHz), Band 17 (700MHz), Band 2 (1900MHz), Band 20 (800MHz), Band 3 (1800MHz), Band 4 (1700/2100 MHz), Band 5 (850MHz), Band 7 (2600MHz), Band 8 (900MHz), Band 28 (700MHz), Band 12 (700MHz)
TD-LTE network: Band 38 (2570-2620MHz), Band 40 (2300-2400MHz), Band 41 partially (2555-2575 MHz)
LTE max data speed DL: 300 Mbps (Cat 6)
LTE max data speed UL: 50 Mbps (Cat 6)

Connectivity:

Dual Nano SIM
3.5mm audio connector, DisplayPort over USB-C
Charging connectors: USB-C
System connectors: USB-C
USB, USB 3.1
Bluetooth 4.1
Bluetooth profiles: Advanced Audio Distribution Profile (A2DP) 1.2, Audio/Video Remote Control Profile (AVRCP) 1.4, Generic Attribute Profile (GATT), Hands-free profile (HFP) 1.6, Human Interface Device Profile (HID), Object Push profile (OPP) 1.1, Personal Area Network Profile (PAN) 1.0, Phone Book Access Profile (PBAP) 1.1, HID over GATT profile (HOGP) 1.0, Message Access Profile (MAP)
NFC: Pairing, secure NFC for payment, sharing, tagging
Wi-Fi: WLAN IEEE 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, Wi-Fi Direct, MIMO, Wi-Fi call
Wi-Fi hotspot: Up to 8 Wi-Fi-enabled devices
Other wireless connectivity: Screen projection

Does this mean the Dual Sim also supports LTE max data speed DL: 300 Mbps (Cat 6)?

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
I can confirm (source: MS France) that the differences between dual and single sim are

a) LTE 6 for single SIM, LTE 4 for dual
b) no VVM on dual sims (so far).

manicottiK

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
a) LTE 6 for single SIM, LTE 4 for dual
And even this item is significant only if your carrier is supporting LTE Cat 6 only (which none are, I think). I say that because I think that very few of us (if any) have ever seen cellular/mobile data throughputs over 75 Mbps let alone over 150 Mbps. When carriers deploy Cat 6, they do so to make room for more customers, not to speed up the existing customers. There's no need to spend capital funds to make something faster when 1) there's not a big need for individuals to get >150 Mbps and 2) there's no alternative supplier in the market that its customers could migrate to for additional throughput.

Essentially, we want Cat 6, but we don't need Cat 6. Might the market change in the coming year? Maybe, but not significantly. In two years? Could be, but the benefits will probably be to the carriers, not the customers. Three years? Few people on this forum are planning to keep a flagship phone that long, so why does it matter?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon