Lumia 950/XL pulled from MS Store?

TexasLabRat

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
Perhaps they were prototypes, and production phones are about ready.

That's my guess as well. The prototypes apparently had their SIM slots disabled, ostensibly because they were not legally entitled to operate on licensed frequencies yet due to pending FCC certification. If the replacement units are the "real deal" and their delivery imminent, then that should, in turn, mean that the FCC certifcation should be forthcoming as well thus answering the questions re: Verizon very soon.

Pat5zero

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
I refuse to buy one of these phones right now as in Australia the pricing is $1,099.00 for the 950 and $1,199.00 for the 950/XL . Maybe when the Australian dollar is up around 90 cents in the dollar I might buy it.

Waughy

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site
I refuse to buy one of these phones right now as in Australia the pricing is $1,099.00 for the 950 and $1,199.00 for the 950/XL . Maybe when the Australian dollar is up around 90 cents in the dollar I might buy it.

Might be waiting a while for the dollar to pick up. There's been a discussion on Whirlpool about the price and when you take into account th conversion rate (thanks crappy dollar), tax (not included in the US price), and things like logistics to get the phones here (Oz), the price isn't too far off what they are asking here.
Best off waiting for JB and HN to get them and see what they'll be asking for them. Fair chance they might be under RRP.

Hopefully the demo units being returned isn't a bad thing. Maybe another software update that they want to do in house rather than give MS store employees a chance to screw up.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Why would they not pull the 950? The only reason would be the 950xl has some serious heating issues that may have been frying internal parts. Anything is possible. Granted they are not apple and don't need to pre-manufacturer way ahead due to demand not being as insane

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I wondered if they didn't like the fact that people were starting to 'review' things like camera quality from phones without final build hardware/firmware. Also things like badges starting to come off the prototype cases etc. You want people reviewing production quality units.

I don't see it as being anything major... the one I played with was good enough to make me want one, and as a tease, having these demo units out there was a good thing.

tuxedo323

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
I wondered if they didn't like the fact that people were starting to 'review' things like camera quality from phones without final build hardware/firmware. Also things like badges starting to come off the prototype cases etc. You want people reviewing production quality units.

I don't see it as being anything major... the one I played with was good enough to make me want one, and as a tease, having these demo units out there was a good thing.

Indeed. I didn't think I wanted such a big phone until I handled an XL..... Nice build quality, now I can't wait!

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I appreciate the post but please take time to read the story before posting. Then you'd have an idea of "what to make of it."

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
I appreciate the post but please take time to read the story before posting. Then you'd have an idea of "what to make of it."

I was inviting a discussion (which is, ostensibly, what these forums are for). So, the comment is really an offer of a point of discussion (the article) and an indirect invitation to participate by way of acknowledging my own uncertainty.

Thanks for taking the time to assume I hadn't read the article when, in fact, it was my reading of the article that brought me here to share it in the first place.

And now we have the update: It was simply a matter of prototypes being recalled in preparation for the retail versions: http://www.phonearena.com/news/Upda...rosoft-stores-due-to-hardware-problem_id74794

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3