is Battery life supposed to be this bad?

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys, are you using the integrated skype features with the messaging + skype app? A lot of people have reported that it's background task has been sucking the life out of their phones.

If you don't rely skype that much, try logging out of the skype video app (which stops the integration) and see how battery life is after.

It might not help everyone but you could at least try.

Wookieekiller

Oct 27, 2015
Visit site
Ok so I've tried what everybody has recommended, did a hard reset from .29 with the new firmware (since I can't get .36 since i'm a single sim XL) installed all my apps, did a soft reset when my phone was 100% charged. After a 9 hours of what I would consider very\light use (mostly some reddit, a decent amount of edge, some texting and messing around with phone settings, downloaded a 7MB app and browsed the store) I had 48% battery left and I just took this pic a while ago of my battery (it's been 21 hours now and I've been charging it up) Seems like my screen is taking almost 61%?? I don't think my apps are really using any battery since system is only using less then 20%. So it seems my usage really isn't affecting my battery but my screen. I had my screen on auto btw which I think would have it at 50% since I was in a fairly bright room.

wp_ss_20151225_0001.jpg

Cartman

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
1. Set the display to auto or lower the brightness.
2. Do NOT use windowscentral on your phone. It is a hog and even overloads my i7 Surface Pro 3 after I open a few tabs of news posts.

DeathMoJo

May 24, 2015
Visit site
Ok so I've tried what everybody has recommended, did a hard reset from .29 with the new firmware (since I can't get .36 since i'm a single sim XL) installed all my apps, did a soft reset when my phone was 100% charged. After a 9 hours of what I would consider very\light use (mostly some reddit, a decent amount of edge, some texting and messing around with phone settings, downloaded a 7MB app and browsed the store) I had 48% battery left and I just took this pic a while ago of my battery (it's been 21 hours now and I've been charging it up) Seems like my screen is taking almost 61%?? I don't think my apps are really using any battery since system is only using less then 20%. So it seems my usage really isn't affecting my battery but my screen. I had my screen on auto btw which I think would have it at 50% since I was in a fairly bright room.

View attachment 119453

I'd honestly turn off all the background tasks your don't need. I noticed Edge takes considerable battery, losing on average 5% in 15 minutes use.

Here is my setup:

Brightness: 50% (I like it there)
Screen timeout - 30 seconds
WiFi - On (when available)
Location - On
Bluetooth - On (when needed in car or wearing Microsoft Band)
Cell Data - On
Windows Hello - On
Cortana - On

Background applications allowed:
Phone
Messaging
Outlook
OneDrive
Microsoft Health
Windows Camera

Settings:
Windows Store - Manual update

Standby drain is 2-3% an hour. I loss about 10-12% an hour with screen use (emails, texts, tapatalk, banking apps). Skype was about 8-10% per half hour on WiFi, a little higher on cell network. Groove music playing only adds 1-2% per hour if screen is off.

I'll always make it through a full day with anywhere from 25-40% battery remaining depending on the day.

IEhrgeizI

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Battery life also terrible in usage on my 950 XL. My Galaxy Note 4 does a far better job and that's with even more apps running in the background.

Edge I find is a major power drain as are certain apps like Amazon.

I think for the most part there's updates needed to the apps to make them much more efficient and the OS could do with a slight tune up too.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

peter leung 10586

Dec 13, 2015
Visit site
I don't think background tasks are responsible for battery drain. I use default settings. I let all apps running in background. my 950xl used 14% of battery in a 19+ hours of idle time. that means less than 1% per hour. battery drain only occurs when you actually use your phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon