Two updates to days in a row?

Arizona Willie

Aug 18, 2015
Visit site
Last night my 640 XL got an update and it said there were problems with the update and if things didn't work right to back up my data and Reset My Phone.

Everything seemed ok.

Now this morning I am getting another update 586.164 and it isn't mentioned on Gabe's blog that I can see.

I wonder why. Last nights update seemed to be ok even though it said there were problems. Everything I have done with it so far after the update last night and this morning has worked fine ... then all of a sudden another update comes in.

Oh well.

Anyone else have this happen?

abhishek singh21

Apr 27, 2014
Visit site
Last night my 640 XL got an update and it said there were problems with the update and if things didn't work right to back up my data and Reset My Phone.

Everything seemed ok.

Now this morning I am getting another update 586.164 and it isn't mentioned on Gabe's blog that I can see.

I wonder why. Last nights update seemed to be ok even though it said there were problems. Everything I have done with it so far after the update last night and this morning has worked fine ... then all of a sudden another update comes in.

Oh well.

Anyone else have this happen?

are you on windows 10 technical preview

Arizona Willie

Aug 18, 2015
Visit site
Yes. As far as I know they haven't sent out updates for phones that were sold with W10 on them. Could be wrong.

This update situation gets very confusing because they issue updates for some phone and not others and they have different version numbers on different updates.

I used to check every day but have gotten so I just don't worry about updates until the phone tells me I have one.

I was very surprised to see it give me one update last night and another this morning.

Wondered if I was the only one that happened to.

So far everything seems to work fine. The only difference I've noticed is in the tint in the color of icons ... a little more intense color it seems.

But I haven't gone through all the menus either so there could be some changes I haven't run into yet.

PS I just read the blog and last night's update was .122 ( but it was supposedly released a week ago and I just got it last night and then today's update was .164 which is basically .122 with a few minor changes / fixes.

It says version 586.164 was also released for PC but I can't get that one yet. Says no update available when I just checked :(

But from what they said it looks like they are getting close to a unified version for everyone.

Last edited:

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
Did you recently change Insider rings? Build 10586.107 was the last update for older phones released for the Fast ring. It was reported by Windows Central on February 10. The following day, they reported that the update was available for the Slow and Release rings.

Build 10586.122 was reported as available for Slow and Release rings on March 2.

Build 10586.164 was reported as available for Slow and Release rings on March 8.

These are not new releases, but you would have only just now received the notification about the update from your phone if you recently switched from the Fast ring to the Slow or Release ring.

Arizona Willie

Aug 18, 2015
Visit site
No I have never changed rings. I signed up for Fast Ring and have been on that all along.

I was running ver .107 and then one evening ver .122 came in ( and after it was done it said there were problems and if the phone didn't work right to backup my data and Reset My Phone.

But it seemed ok.

Next morning all of a sudden I got ver .164 the next morning.

Surprise surprise :)

I < should > have gotten ver.122 a week or so earlier but I don't know why it didn't come in when the phone checks for updates.

Anyway, my 640 XL is up to date now.

I think they will soon have a unified version for all W10 phones and computers --- at least I hope so.

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
I < should > have gotten ver.122 a week or so earlier but I don't know why it didn't come in when the phone checks for updates.

As indicated in the linked articles, the most recent 2 builds were released only to users on the slow and release rings (15 days ago and 9 days ago, respectively). There was a lot of confusion at the time about people not realizing they needed to switch rings to receive those updates. Microsoft had started using the fast ring to release "Redstone" builds to the current x50 generation devices that came pre-installed with Windows 10.

If you have not changed rings, the only thing I can think is that Microsoft just started allowing fast ring users to receive builds 122 and 164 this week.

Arizona Willie

Aug 18, 2015
Visit site
And it depends on < which > phone you have.

Some builds are released to certain phones and not to others until later, which seems counter-intuitive to me.

The older phones generally have lower performance stats and I would expect them to test on the lower phones first to make sure the new OS version works on the least powerful before going to the most powerful new phones. Because the new version could easily work on the new phone and then when they send it to older phones they run into troubles.

Many older phones, of course, will not even run W10 in any version. And there is no guarantee our phones will be compatible with the next OS W10B or W11.

Sneaky way to try to sell new phones :)

I'm wondering how well phones are selling now that the phone companies are making people buy them outright for hundreds of dollars instead of folding the price into multi-year contracts. Wonder why they did that? Phone sales were booming as long as people could afford them but many people who need / want a new phone will find they can't afford the hundreds ( soon to be close to a thousand ) for a new phone.

And that's especially bad when they keep coming out with new OS'S that will make their phones obsolete in 2 -3 years after they have paid so much money for them.

Of course they still are paying just as much when they get them via multi-year contract but the cost is spread out so it doesn't hurt as much.

Cost is the main reason I went with the 640 XL. I looked at newer ones but didn't want to pay that kind of money and this phone was only $250 so it was more affordable. It is my first " Smart Phone " and I wasn't sure how much I would use it, but I have been pleasantly surprised and find myself carrying it around the house all the time.

I use it as a Secretary for reminders and notes and as an ebook and calculator and news checker etc. etc.

Very handy but I don't see myself paying $900 for a new model whether I could or not.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon