Lumia 640 XL Build Quality Issues...

vikrant1982

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
Hello Everyone,

It's been about two months with my Lumia 640 XL and I have started noticing that whenever i use my phone and have my fingers press against the back with just a bit of pressure, i feel ticks and slight creaks here and there, not in a specific pattern or area but at random points. My initial thought was that the back cover was going loose but, then with a little more investigation I noticed that it was the battery. I removed the back cover and noticed that if I apply slight twisting force on the phone's body, the battery tends to pop up from one of the corners and tends to creak or tick in the process. In fact the battery does not sit 100% flat. If I press the battery from one corner in its compartment, it tends to pop up from the diagonally opposite corner. There are two tiny teeth in the top edge of the battery compartment which fail to keep it snug in place.

Also note that I have a transparent silicon back case on my phone. i have never dropped my phone but have had a loudspeaker replacement done at the service center for crackling issues. Also, i carry my phone in my straight fit jean's pockets which does put slight pressure on the phone but nothing too drastic.

Having said all this, I really feel Microsoft is seriously cutting corners in building phones and 640 XL is not exactly cheap. My wife's Honor 5x has a lot better specs, great metal build and it was cheaper than the 640 XL when I bought it. Except for the battery life, its a serious downgrade from my old Lumia 920.

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I was able to eliminate the creaks on my 640XL by putting small strips of post-it-notes into the bottom third. The strips span over the width of the battery and I have two or three layers that reduce in width as I build them up on the battery to fit with the bevel of the back cover. If you add enough you will "feel" that the back cover sits more tightly and does not move anymore. You essentially fill the space between battery and case. Thin strips of foam may work as well. I have the post-it-notes attached to the battery. Works very well and feels rock solid.

YMMV, but my L920 was creaking as well. I have a Mozo case on my 640XL and it feels pretty premium. It sure is not metal and you get a really nice deal with the Honor 5X. You have a choice there.

vikrant1982

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
I was able to eliminate the creaks on my 640XL by putting small strips of post-it-notes into the bottom third. The strips span over the width of the battery and I have two or three layers that reduce in width as I build them up on the battery to fit with the bevel of the back cover. If you add enough you will "feel" that the back cover sits more tightly and does not move anymore. You essentially fill the space between battery and case. Thin strips of foam may work as well. I have the post-it-notes attached to the battery. Works very well and feels rock solid.

YMMV, but my L920 was creaking as well. I have a Mozo case on my 640XL and it feels pretty premium. It sure is not metal and you get a really nice deal with the Honor 5X. You have a choice there.

Thanks Derausgewanderte for your prompt reply. You are always the first one to come to my rescue. I appreciate your help. It sounds like there are more 640 Xl users with creaking back covers and loose batteries. Honestly, I am disappointed by microsoft's product quality. Given the fact that they have a meagre market share, they should be conscious about these basic things.

Oh....yes they did get conscious about their product quality and the resultant is Lumia 650, a phone with metal frame and under powered chipset
at a price that's almost twice that of a well built android phone......LOL. Sometimes i really wonder if they are making a joke out of themselves.

By the way it would be great if you could post a picture of your phone without the back cover, would be easier to understand your solution.

wmuser

Oct 5, 2015
Visit site
I'm actually impressed with the build quality of the 640XL. I've dropped mine a bunch of times. The back cover flies off when I drop it, but the screen is like new so far...

vikrant1982

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
I'm actually impressed with the build quality of the 640XL. I've dropped mine a bunch of times. The back cover flies off when I drop it, but the screen is like new so far...

Good to hear that but, do you as well hear creaks or ticks from the back panel when you kind of twist the phone a bit? If yes, did you have them from the very beginning or did they develop over time?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes