1520 and W10

Awhispersecho

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Hey all. I'm still running 8.1 on my 1520 and was wondering how many of you have really updated it to W10 mobile. I think I would like to but I wanted to to see if everyone here recommends updating or staying on 8.1. If you do recommend the update, do I need to reset this phone to original settings or can I just update direct from 8.1? I would appreciate your opinions and suggestions regarding this. Thanks all.

Madam ImAdam

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
A Lumia 1520 in good working condition is pretty fantastic on W10 - as good or better than almost any other device, Imo.

From 8.1, I think you just need to install the upgrade advisor app, then open it and let it check for and download the update to 10.

MrGoodSmith

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
W10M is a bit slower than WP8.1 but the difference is barely noticeable. The main reason why I upgraded my 1520 to W10M is the features of the new system. Edge alone is a faster and better browser.

greedo_greedy

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Windows 10 Mobile flies on the Lumia 1520.

At this point WP8.1 is archaic and very much lacking in features. Also there are plenty of Windows 10 only apps that you won't find in WP8.1

Stability is great on the Lumia 1520

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Go for it. I even got my wife's 1520 on W10, she is not tech minded but hasnt had any OS complaints... but for some bad apps.. (I'm looking at you, Facebook)

...!!

Last edited:

Awhispersecho

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Ok. Thanks everyone. I do hope Edge is better because my browsing experience has been getting progressively worse as time goes on. I can upgrade straight from 8.1 without doing a factory reset first correct? I was never in the insider program on this phone. I had a 640 for that. Also, if I have things such as podcasts downloaded in a podcast app, and subscriptions in nextgen reader, do those things carry over or will I lose them? Thanks again for you answers.

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I can upgrade straight from 8.1 without doing a factory reset first correct?

Yes but don't be completely closed to doing a factory reset though if some weird inexplicable behaviours happen :) If you find yourself struggling, factory reset with no restore is probably a good way to go.

My experience has been 8.1 to earlier insider builds though.

Maybe 8.1 to a more mature anniversary build will be a much smoother path. It's not a phone example but I know that I waited on my surface pro 3 til the last moment to goto windows 10 and it was surprisingly a lot better than I expected. I was ready to expect to do a reset on that, but haven't needed to and since the anniversary update, the patches that came after has addressed lingering issues.

Awhispersecho

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Just am update. Put 10 on it and then received another update 2 days later. Battery life maybe slightly worse. I like it and runs good for the most part but having weird issues with a few live tiles. For instance Windows Central doesn't always update, and it won't update if I set it to "peek". Things like that. I will say this about the live tiles. I don't like how some of them constantly show a picture, I liked how they used to show a picture and headline then flip to transparent so you could see the start screen background, then flip back to headline and picture. Now they just constantly show a picture unless I turn the live tile off. I'm not crazy about that.

bambuco

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I was part of the insider program and never looked back! When the latest Win10 came out I was not disappointed, so while this may be an old thread... anyone else landing here and still curious I say go for it. Win10 is stable, reliable and the cleaner look is definitely a plus!

bambuco

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
After I updated I downloaded NextGen reader and all my subscriptions pulled through... now sure how it happened but was relieved I didn't have to reconfigure its contents entirely.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes