Odd Markings on Idol Camera

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I noticed last night that there are some weird marks on the camera lens of my Idol 4s. I can't feel them, and i've tried cleaning the lens. Which leads me to think they're under the glass.

Anyone have anything like this on their idol?

IMG_1173.jpg

IMG_1172.jpg

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
If I were a betting man I'd wager that's condensation. Has the picture quality degraded any? I mean more than the usual.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
If I were a betting man I'd wager that's condensation. Has the picture quality degraded any? I mean more than the usual.

I haven't taken many photos with it, so i'm not sure. But it's hard to imagine there not being some degradation with that... stuff in there.

It does look like condensation. Hard to imagine that not being covered under warranty?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It does look like condensation. Hard to imagine that not being covered under warranty?

Did you get it new or used?

I wonder if the moisture sensor was tripped... Errant moisture in the unit can come back and "fog" a lens given the right tempurature/dew point combo. I know this from water resistant point and shoots I've had that got breached (current is a killer and it overwhelms depth rating at times).

If it has had the moisture indicator tripped, there is no more warranty...

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Did you get it new or used?

I wonder if the moisture sensor was tripped... Errant moisture in the unit can come back and "fog" a lens given the right tempurature/dew point combo. I know this from water resistant point and shoots I've had that got breached (current is a killer and it overwhelms depth rating at times).

If it has had the moisture indicator tripped, there is no more warranty...

Got it new two weeks ago at the Microsoft Store.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I concur, that's unacceptable. It would suck just as bad on an older phone though.
@RumoredNow & @fatclue_98 -

I agree with you guys so I took the device in. It was the first time they had seen something like that with a mobile camera. The first reaction was to try to see if there was some sort of film on the camera lens. The guy even took out a knife and tried to scratch at it to see if that would get it off. They agreed it was probably condensation that has continued to spread.

With no success, they replaced my Idol with a new one from the back. I asked if they'd be willing to replace the Idol with an Elite X3 and they said they'd replace it with any of their mobile devices as long as I paid the difference. I decided it wasn't worth it.

They were kind enough to give me a gift card for $33 since the Idol is now on sale for $166. As always, a top notch customer service experience from the Microsoft Store.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
@RumoredNow & @fatclue_98 -

I agree with you guys so I took the device in. It was the first time they had seen something like that with a mobile camera. The first reaction was to try to see if there was some sort of film on the camera lens. The guy even took out a knife and tried to scratch at it to see if that would get it off. They agreed it was probably condensation that has continued to spread.

With no success, they replaced my Idol with a new one from the back. I asked if they'd be willing to replace the Idol with an Elite X3 and they said they'd replace it with any of their mobile devices as long as I paid the difference. I decided it wasn't worth it.

They were kind enough to give me a gift card for $33 since the Idol is now on sale for $166. As always, a top notch customer service experience from the Microsoft Store.

Well... Two weeks later, it looks like my replacement Idol 4s is starting to develop the same markings inside the camera lens. They're small right now, but i'm pretty sure they'll spread. I haven't seen anyone else complain about this issue.

This leads me to two possible conclusions

1.) I'm doing something to cause the Idol 4s lens to have condensation. I have no idea what that might be. I pretty much baby my technology.
2.) My local Microsoft Store has a defective batch.

I'm not sure what to do. I may just return this Idol 4s and use my backup Lumia 650. And hope that Microsoft's mobile plans materialize in the next year.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Well... Two weeks later, it looks like my replacement Idol 4s is starting to develop the same markings inside the camera lens. They're small right now, but i'm pretty sure they'll spread. I haven't seen anyone else complain about this issue.

This leads me to two possible conclusions

1.) I'm doing something to cause the Idol 4s lens to have condensation. I have no idea what that might be. I pretty much baby my technology.
2.) My local Microsoft Store has a defective batch.

I'm not sure what to do. I may just return this Idol 4s and use my backup Lumia 650. And hope that Microsoft's mobile plans materialize in the next year.
Send it back until they get it right. Microsoft ain't no 501c.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I've had an Idol 4s for about 2 months now - so such issue. Taken on a plane, tropical areas and very cold areas...no issue.

But it has happened twice which is so odd.
I looked at the image even closer and it does not look like condensation to me. But maybe a condensation stain?

I found this:

https://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/Xper...5-Premium-Dual-Chrome-pic-inside/td-p/1133327

Hope it helps...

Mr. V

bizarre.

Wow, this is quite fascinating. Like others in that thread, the stains on my phone are clearly inside of the lens. I wonder if it is the "UV Filter" as that last poster suggests.

Regardless, must be a bad batch of phones. It has been in the negatives here in Chicago for the last few days, so that may have played a role in the increase in condensation. Guess i'll be taking another trip to the Microsoft Store when I have a chance.

Thanks for the help, Veep!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon