Windows RT 8.1 Bing News Problems

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
I was wondering if anyone had any idea on how to make it go faster, or if this is just a problem for everyone. I'm using the RTM, which was leaked, and that's pretty much one of the only applications that doesn't feel improved from 8.0.

Actually, it feels slower than it did before.

And I'm still getting a lot of articles that apparently don't download correctly.

It isn't like I can count on Flipboard for offline news even when it comes out, so I'm stuck pulling out my GNexus or having half the articles on Bing News just not show up. Or should I just uninstall it and reinstall it?

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
I'm running 8.0 on my RT, but I just checked Bing news to see if there were any issues. It's running fine for me. Hopefully someone running 8.1 can check and verify this for you one way or another.

Narse77

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
I have the preview of 8.1 on my RT and it seems fine to me. I didn't even know 8.1 RT RTM had been leaked! Now off to find it lol. Main reason I want it now is the mail app is vastly improved in RTM 8.1

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
I'm running 8.0 on my RT, but I just checked Bing news to see if there were any issues. It's running fine for me. Hopefully someone running 8.1 can check and verify this for you one way or another.

So for you, it actually downloads articles and doesn't sit there on the tile UI loading screen for a really long time? It downloads most of the articles foe me, mind you, but not all.

I have the preview of 8.1 on my RT and it seems fine to me. I didn't even know 8.1 RT RTM had been leaked! Now off to find it lol. Main reason I want it now is the mail app is vastly improved in RTM 8.1

The mail app is good, if a little laggy at times. I'm getting this feeling that the biggest reason for the two months if because some the apps are getting some final polish. By the way, it's a long process getting it updated. Took me longer to get it set up than for the update to install.

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
So for you, it actually downloads articles and doesn't sit there on the tile UI loading screen for a really long time? It downloads most of the articles foe me, mind you, but not all.

It's downloading the articles just fine. On the main screen, and then when I tap on an individual article.

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
My bad. I went to the customize screen where it said I was ready for offline viewing. That screen had empty boxes and red x's in places. I went back to the main news page, everything was fine. I turned off wifi and was offline. I could still see all the news on the main bing page and pull the articles up with no problem.

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
My bad. I went to the customize screen where it said I was ready for offline viewing. That screen had empty boxes and red x's in places. I went back to the main news page, everything was fine. I turned off wifi and was offline. I could still see all the news on the main bing page and pull the articles up with no problem.

Guess it's time to uninstall and reinstall and see if it makes a difference.

Edit: That was apparently a horrible idea. I can't add any news sources because it just keeps crashing. I went from hit and miss to not being able to have my news sources at all. T_T

Edit 2: Alright, now to wait for tomorrow to see if the problem isn't there anymore. The downloading thing, that is.

Last edited:

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
I'm still running into articles that don't load right, but that's probably because Bing News allows you to get sources that are normal websites. And I forgot to finish that thought. Since they are normal websites, like ZDnet, Bing News doesn't cache them for some reason.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon