How do you update the OS on an unbranded/unlocked Lumia 1520?

Bob Zapotosky

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
I am looking at buying an unlocked 1520 to use with T-Mobile since they don't sell the 1520. How does an unbranded phone get its OS updates (e.g., to Cyan)? It appears OS updates are normally pushed by the carriers selling the phones. What do you do if the carrier did not sell you your phone?

To provide an example, my Lumia 920 did not update to Cyan until September because AT&T did not roll out the update to their customers, even though other providers began updating 920 customers as early as June.

Last edited:

Bob Zapotosky

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
my experience with a Lumia 920 on AT&T was that AT&T determined when the update was distributed, not Microsoft. AT&T servers did the distributing. Do unlocked phones communicate directly with Microsoft?

heickelrrx

May 12, 2014
Visit site
my experience with a Lumia 920 on AT&T was that AT&T determined when the update was distributed, not Microsoft. AT&T servers did the distributing. Do unlocked phones communicate directly with Microsoft?

Retail phone doesn't customized by carrier and got all update directly. Just wait for your region got ready and download it.

Still region can't be changed it written on your firmware

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte