Has the W10m WC app been abandoned?

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
It's been crashy, it has limited functionality and flaky forums, and yet we all buy it and put up with it. A while back your web site decided to block logins through the app (as highlighted in the app feedback forum here, yes there is one, scroll down about as far as you can go, way beneath the forum for WinRT...) but I didn't notice as I already had it logged in. I eventually get round to reinstalling it to stem the tide of crashes (absolutely no other app does this...) and I now find I'm forced to go to the ad-mess that is the WC site to try to post anything as logins through the app are now barred.

Any chance you could appeal to the powers that be to let us remaining W10m users who have bought your app to be allowed to log in again? I know we're an outspoken lot, but a blanket ban like this is a bit over the top.

What if we promise to behave from now on and offer to make a thread of pictures of Windows Phone fans kissing Android phones whilst enjoying Android's amazingly innovative UI and their secure, adware free fantastic store apps? We're sorry. Please lift the W10m ban and let us in again.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
It's been crashy, it has limited functionality and flaky forums, and yet we all buy it and put up with it. A while back your web site decided to block logins through the app (as highlighted in the app feedback forum here, yes there is one, scroll down about as far as you can go, way beneath the forum for WinRT...) but I didn't notice as I already had it logged in. I eventually get round to reinstalling it to stem the tide of crashes (absolutely no other app does this...) and I now find I'm forced to go to the ad-mess that is the WC site to try to post anything as logins through the app are now barred.

Any chance you could appeal to the powers that be to let us remaining W10m users who have bought your app to be allowed to log in again? I know we're an outspoken lot, but a blanket ban like this is a bit over the top.

What if we promise to behave from now on and offer to make a thread of pictures of Windows Phone fans kissing Android phones whilst enjoying Android's amazingly innovative UI and their secure, adware free fantastic store apps? We're sorry. Please lift the W10m ban and let us in again.

To prevent rumours from escalating.

The logins are not barred, there has been alot of restructuring going on and so there are few glitches here and there.

You can still login with the WM10 app however the website loads within the app. In regards to the Windows Phone 8.x app, that will work but as the back end changes and the website is overhauled users will start to encounter issues. As that app is currently not in active development as the WM10 app superceded it.

Personally, I have been raising this and so have the writers about the current situation about the app for months now.

You see, this is exactly what happens when Microsoft abandons consumers. Nothing is immune to the far reaching consequences of resource allocation. Influence in such matters comes from the top down and in this case Microsoft, through retrenchment they have stoked a massive negative vibe throughout everything.Inversely, if there is a positive vibe - blogs like this thrive and there is an abundance of unique user traffic which is seen by developers and corporations alike. That data is then used to create more traffic as they seek to monetise the growing userbase. Which is why we saw developers and corporations leave the windows ecosystem as the mobile userbase stagnated and started dwindling heavily.

Simple resource economics.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
To prevent rumours from escalating.

The logins are not barred, there has been alot of restructuring going on and so there are few glitches here and there.

You can still login with the WM10 app however the website loads within the app. In regards to the Windows Phone 8.x app, that will work but as the back end changes and the website is overhauled users will start to encounter issues. As that app is currently not in active development as the WM10 app superceded it.

Personally, I have been raising this and so have the writers about the current situation about the app for months now.

You see, this is exactly what happens when Microsoft abandons consumers. Nothing is immune to the far reaching consequences of resource allocation. Influence in such matters comes from the top down and in this case Microsoft, through retrenchment they have stoked a massive negative vibe throughout everything.Inversely, if there is a positive vibe - blogs like this thrive and there is an abundance of unique user traffic which is seen by developers and corporations alike. That data is then used to create more traffic as they seek to monetise the growing userbase. Which is why we saw developers and corporations leave the windows ecosystem as the mobile userbase stagnated and started dwindling heavily.

Simple resource economics.

Hmm, the idea that the WC UWP app is in decline is actually rather a rosy view. I think, if we're honest, it has to be admitted that it has always been one of the flakiest in the store. Heck, even the masterful bit of coding that is the Facebook app has always been more reliable. To claim its regular craziness is suddenly now the fault of Microsoft is a bit convenient. This is simply the continuation of the collective effort around here to keep the app at its usual level of semi-operation. Same game as ever.

If WC give tacit approval to their app's latest decision to refuse access to users then that is essentially a conscious bar to access. I just seek to change their minds. Considering the popularity of Windows Mobile articles around here, I expect the thousands of viewers of the thread about this buried at the bottom of the forum list in the WC app feedback forum (in the locked cabinet behind the sign that says 'Beware of the leopard') would also be interested.

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Wanted to drop a note in here real quick - I don't want anyone thinking we're not paying attention, because we are! Please keep any and all feedback coming. We admit progress has been slow, but we've got things pointing in the right direction. When we have updates we'll be sure to keep you posted :)

In the meantime thanks for your patience and continued feedback!

LightenSkies

Apr 25, 2016
Visit site
I uninstalled WC app since well now you can't login or comment only read articles. Lately i just go on the mobile site. I just wish the developers would fix the app. Was good when it once worked.

Demian Mioc

Jan 12, 2015
Visit site
Can't login into WC app, both on PC and mobile, also when I could notifications would bug out, in notification settings they would be blank. I'm thinking of uninstalling this app and leaving for other websites where grass is greener and their apps are working. It's not an recent issue, app wasn't working for half a year at best, namely notifications, but now even login wont work for months...

LightenSkies

Apr 25, 2016
Visit site
I've uninstalled the app and pinned the website to my Start Screen on my Lumia 950. The issues were causing me not to be able to do simple things such as post replies.

Now that everyone using the mobile site and its been like half a year with no update to the app they mind as well scrap it since many of us are just using the site. I became so use to it. Its not even funny and doing searches on the mobile site is easier then the app cause the app didn't do searches.

Jackie Earley

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
It's funny because this is exactly why a lot of apps left our platform in the first place. Less dev focus, app deteriorates, users begin using website more than app, app gets canned.

My guess is they would rather us use the website more due to ad revenue.

Last edited:

LightenSkies

Apr 25, 2016
Visit site
It's funny because this is exactly why a lot of apps left our platform in the first place. Less dev focus, app deteriorates, users begin using website more than app, app gets canned.

My guess is they would rather us use the website more due to ad revenue.

You may be very well right about it. I mean really when you think about it the WIndows 10 Mobile works fine in a lot of areas even if I don't have an app for it... ebay... ok web site.... paypal? no problem there a site for that. Seriously I honestly feel people just seem to forget you can still access site to get the same great experience if not better then an a pp itself. Just having the basic apps on windows 10 mobile has worked fine for me. Sure I wish to see this WC app work though seeing that many other say that Other apps from the developer are not working either? if im not mistaken based on what i read? So I don't believe it just Windows 10 Mobile.. Its the developers in general not taking the time to fix there stuff they support..

Jackie Earley

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
Since web has caught up for the most part, this issue of apps leaving doesn't bother me IF they at least have an up to date mobile friendly website to use. For instance, it stung when Mint dropped support. This was because their website is not responsive and they seem not to care about making it responsive any time soon. I just used the PayPal mobile website yesterday with absolutely no problem.

My banks don't have apps but their websites are extremely similar to the apps on iOS and Android minus check scanning. If they turned their apps into PWAs and Microsoft successfully builds the support into Edge and Windows 10 (Mobile) then there will be no reason to have a native app. Chase for example looks extremely similar to their app. A few UI elements are in a different spot but then again its a different OS.

So if WC dumped their app, I wouldn't really care as their website works well on my Lumia 950. I would like to see them turn it into a PWA.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Wanted to drop a note in here real quick - I don't want anyone thinking we're not paying attention, because we are! Please keep any and all feedback coming. We admit progress has been slow, but we've got things pointing in the right direction. When we have updates we'll be sure to keep you posted :)

In the meantime thanks for your patience and continued feedback!

Right now the app cannot be logged into (at least it doesn't work for me). On the one time I could log in I could not reply to comments and articles are being shown in duplicate as well. I posted it all in Feedback Hub.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
There is a new update in the store, this should resolve the login issues. @AndyCalling as I said login has not been barred. If anyone has issues with app, post in the feedback section of the app. So all the issues can be tracked easily.

th34monk3ys

May 26, 2014
Visit site
What problems are you talking about never seen one of these on my 950xl or my daily driver honor 9, both are logged into the uwp app or play app. Replying via either is fine, I suspect something else

Ixia2

Oct 21, 2017
Visit site
I've gone back to the old app, the one I used when I had my 1020. It works fine, the newer app I gave up to, it was slow, crashed frequently and I could no longer log in.

Awhispersecho

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
The new update crashed after being installed and froze my Lumia 950XL. I had to do a soft reset and the app was still stuck so I uninstalled it. But it still said the app was installed so I tried everything i could. At this point, I cannot reinstall the app because it still says it's ubstalled in the store even though it has been completely removed from my phone. This was after the crazy freezing an lag the app was giving me for months and after losing the ability to post a comment for the last month or so. So now, i need to do a hard reset of my phone just because of this damn WC app. It ended up being the straw that broke this camels back and was the final push I needed to leave the platform and go to Android. I got a Note 8. Great phone, Apps including Windows Central work great as well. Hate Android and Google though and it really sucks that Microsoft and developers including the ones behind the WC app have driven us to have to leave.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro