Does anyone have a Windows RT Recovery Drive for Dell XPS10

Memitim

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure if it is possible with RT to recreate the recovery partition after it's been removed from the device.

Anyone else been able to download and test the image I uploaded?

It works for me.

Lobbie1978

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure if it is possible with RT to recreate the recovery partition after it's been removed from the device.

It works for me.

It is possible. You need the boot.wim file which should be place on the WinRE partition in \Recovery\WindowsRE\ (it should be renamed to winre.wim) This is the image that has the recovery files necessary to boot into the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE) Next you'll need the install.wim image and place it on another partition (mostly a 4.2 GB partition which is hidden) Then you need to tell the WinRE environment where all these file reside using the reagent.exe command line tool. After that you have to enable the WinRE environment using reagent.exe /enable. After a reboot the recovery options should be working again.
That's what I'm trying to accomplish right now. It's not working yet, but I'm close :)

quoclht

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site

It works for me.
I tried extracting the parts with WinRAR 5 and then I used Win32 Disk Imager to write the image to USB but it did not work. Could you please check it again? I think the image was damaged. :(

Lobbie1978

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I am.

I was successful to join those parts by using RarZilla. But I can not use the image, it was damaged because reagent.xml is 0 bytes (992 bytes on Windows 8.0 image) and I copied the whole image into my USB, it was only over 2 Gbs (over 3 Gbs on Windows 8.0 image). Please help me! :) Thank you very much!

That's actually correct. The reagent.xml file is not populated until Windows is installed. The WindowsRE (Recovery Environment) uses this file if WinRE is set up. And, btw, Windows 8.1 uses less diskspace than Windows 8.0. So the smaller IMG should be correct.

quoclht

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
I do not know how much I appreciate about your help, Memitim. Finally, I got it works. My issues had happened because I did not upgrade to Windows 8.1. After upgrading to Windows 8.1, I am successful to recovery my tablet.
Thank you very much, Memitim! I am Vietnamese, sorry about my English. :)

quoclht

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
Can someone re-upload part05 please? It refuses to download... :cry:
After all files are completed, I'm more than happy to upload it to a torrent and/or Newsgroup. This will make leeching a lot easier :)
You can wait some hours before trying again. If it still happen, I will re-upload the part for you. :) My upload connection is about 120 kb/s. :(

ozzyhijo

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
hi I have the same problem after many attempts my tablet just give the message that is unable to find a bootable location. i'd been trying to download your files but #5 just wont download.

Lobbie1978

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site

Lobbie1978

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
Here you are guys. See attached the NZB for downloading the Dell XPS 10 Windows RT 8.1 USB recovery image as uploaded by Memitim. It has PAR2 restore files too.
If you don't know how to download via Newsgroups, feel free to ask for help.

Download

Attachments

• DELL_XPS10_WIN81USB_RECOVERY.zip
    206.7 KB · Views: 357
Last edited:

Memitim

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Lobbie1978 if you do manage to restore your recovery partition could you post a step-by-step guide on how to do it, think it would be valuable to a lot of users.

Lobbie1978

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
It will be my pleasure :) I actually managed to do this. And I tested it, by choosing 'Remove everything and reinstall Windows'. It worked without the USB drive :grin: I actually installed Windows 8.1 Pro on my Desktop PC in the same way by using a Windows 8.1 Pro x64 image, and it also works! :cool: So here we go:

Before I explain the steps to restore your XPS 10 completely, I'll explain what I used and why:

The USB image from Memitim contains all the factory files to restore the tablet as it were new. The most important file is the install.wim file. This is actually the full Windows installation image. Besides the install.wim, there is also a image file called boot.wim. This is actually the customized image which allows you to boot into recovery mode and choose various options to restore the installation (this file gets renamed to winre.wim once it's transferred to the recovery tools partition)
The Command-Line tools needed to restore everything are:

- DISKPART - This is the Microsoft tool which let you create all the partitions needed to restore the tablet. In this scenario, it is used in conjunction with a pre-defined script which you'll see below. It will install 5 partitions by Microsoft standard for UEFI based computers (EFI partition, Recovery Tools partition, System partition, RecoveryImage partition and System Reserved partition)
- DISM - This tool deploys the install.wim to the RecoveryImage partition and the actual Windows Partition.
- REAGENTC - This tool configures and installs the actual Recovery Environment and sets the location for the Recovery Images install.wim and winre.wim
- BCDBOOT - This tool installs the boot files needed to boot to Windows and run the Windows OOBE.

Okay. so here we go.

|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

The steps below explain a full CLEAN install of the tablet!!! Which means, ALL partitions are erased, rebuilt and populated with the appropriate files!

|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

- First, you'll need the Dell XPS 10 Windows RT 8.1 USB Image from Memitim. You can find it in the previous posts (I also uploaded it to a Newsserver for fast downloading)
- Install the image on a 4GB USB drive using the tool win32diskimager (be aware of the fact that all data on the USB drive gets erased)
- Copy the below code to a txt file and save it as 'CreatePartitions-UEFI.txt' and copy the text file to the root of the USB drive.

Code:
rem == CreatePartitions-UEFI.txt =====================
rem == These commands are used with DiskPart to
rem    create five partitions
rem    for a UEFI/GPT-based PC.
rem    Adjust the partition sizes to fill the drive
rem    as necessary. =================================
select disk 0
clean
convert gpt
rem == 1. Windows RE tools partition =================
create partition primary size=450
format quick fs=ntfs label="Windows RE tools"
assign letter="T"
set id="de94bba4-06d1-4d40-a16a-bfd50179d6ac"
gpt attributes=0x8000000000000001
rem == 2. System partition ===========================
create partition efi size=260
rem    ** NOTE: For Advanced Format 4Kn drives,
rem               change this value to size = 260 ** 
format quick fs=fat32 label="System"
assign letter="S"
rem == 3. Microsoft Reserved (MSR) partition =========
create partition msr size=128
rem == 4. Windows partition ==========================
rem ==    a. Create the Windows partition ============
create partition primary 
rem ==    b. Create space for the recovery image =====
shrink minimum=4200
rem       ** NOTE: Update this size to match the size
rem                of the recovery image           **
rem ==    c. Prepare the Windows partition =========== 
format quick fs=ntfs label="Windows"
assign letter="W"
rem === 5. Recovery image partition ==================
create partition primary
format quick fs=ntfs label="Recovery image"
assign letter="R"
set id="de94bba4-06d1-4d40-a16a-bfd50179d6ac"
gpt attributes=0x8000000000000001
list volume
exit

- Next, copy the below code to Notepad and save it as 'ApplyImage.bat' and also copy it to the root of the USB drive.

Code:
rem === These commands copy the selected image file to =====================================
rem === predefined hard disk partitions on a UEFI-based computer. ==========================
rem === Create recovery image folder =======================================================
md R:\RecoveryImage

rem === Copy the image to the recovery image partition =====================================
copy E:\sources\install.wim R:\RecoveryImage\install.wim

rem === Apply the image to the Windows partition ===========================================
dism /Apply-Image /ImageFile:R:\RecoveryImage\install.wim /Index:1 /ApplyDir:W:\

rem === Copy the Windows RE Tools to the Windows RE Tools partition ========================
md T:\Recovery\WindowsRE

copy W:\Windows\system32\recovery\winre.wim T:\Recovery\WindowsRE\winre.wim

rem === Change attributes for WinRE Image to hidden ========================================
attrib -h -s -r T:\Recovery\WinRE\winre.wim

rem === In the Recovery partition, set the location of the Windows partition ===============
W:\Windows\System32\reagentc /setosimage /path R:\RecoveryImage /index 1 /target W:\Windows

rem === In the Windows RE Tools partition, set the location of the WinRE tools =============
W:\Windows\System32\reagentc /setreimage /path T:\Recovery\WindowsRE /target W:\Windows

rem === Copy boot files from the Windows partition to the System partition =================
bcdboot W:\Windows
- Alright, now the exciting part: Plug in the USB drive to the XPS 10 and start it by holding the 'Volume Down' rocker.
- When Recovery Mode has started (it takes a while, be patient), choose 'Advanced Options' and launch the Command Prompt.
- Be sure the USB drive has the E:\ drive letter. You can check this by using Diskpart: type in: 'diskpart' and 'enter'. Next type: 'list volume'. You will see the FAT32 USB drive with a drive letter.
If it doesn't have E:\ proceed as follows: Select the USB volume by typing: 'select volume X' (where X is your USB drive). Then type: 'assign letter=E'. Now it will have the E:\ drive letter. Exit Diskpart by typing in: 'exit'.
- You are now ready to install all the partitions. Type in: 'diskpart /s E:\CreatePartitions-UEFI.txt'
- Once all the partitions have installed, we are now ready to install the images and Recovery files and configuration. Type in: 'E:\ApplyImage.bat'
- Grab a coffee and sit back and watch all the files and configuration getting installed automatically :)
- Once everything is done, remove your USB drive and type in: shutdown /r. The tablet will reboot after a few seconds and will boot into the Windows installation :excited:

Once you finished the Windows installation, you can check the status of the Recovery Environment using REAGENTC.exe. Open a Command Prompt with Administrative Privileges. Type in: 'reagentc /info'. You must see

Code:
Windows RE status: Enabled
Windows RE location: [URL="file://\\?\GLOBALROOT\device\harddisk0\partition1\Recovery"]\\?\GLOBALROOT\device\harddisk0\partition1\Recovery[/URL]\WindowsRE

Recovery Image Location: [URL="file://\\?\GLOBALROOT\device\harddisk0\partition5\RecoveryImage"]\\?\GLOBALROOT\device\harddisk0\partition5\RecoveryImage[/URL]
Recovery Image index: 1

I hope this is informative enough for you guys. Please don't hesitate to ask if you run into problems or anything else.

- Rob

Last edited:

redds156

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
HI i need your help i really mest up my dell xps 10 and i am terryfied now i wanted to install win 7 on it (now i now its impossible because of the arm processor)and
i erese everything what was on hard drive by cmd(while it was working) using diskpart--->list disk---> select disk 0---> clean
and now when i try to turn it on on screan shows quote "error: unable to find a bootable option. pres any key to shut down"
i just started and i am already lost because i downloaded this 18 parts of win rt 8.1 image, i downloaded this win32diskimager
and when i tryed to install the image it only opens one part and i can't extract those parts or make them as one
the other thing is that this program makes my usb formated to fat 32 which makes me impossible to but those text files on pendrive
I know what i did was really stupid but hel me i don't want to lose so much money because it wont work
o i almost forgot about the volume down rocket problem if You mean to press volume down and hold it and then press power button so it 's not working on my tablet it still shows that error nothing more i even tryed volume up + power, only vloume up and down only power and still the same

Lobbie1978

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
Hi. I'll be glad to help. But first, and no offence here, WHAT THE HELL WERE YOU THINKING??? :shocked:

AS I can read you'll need WinRAR first to unpack the 18 files (www.rarlabs.com) Install WinRAR and then select all 18 files and right click and choose 'extract here'. You'll see a .img file being extracted. This file you can transfer to the USB drive with win32diskimager.

Once you've done that, you can proceed with my tutorial to restore your tablet. Be sure to follow every step closely. Let me know if you need anything else. Good luck!

- Rob

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss