06-11-2015 12:14 AM
104 12345
tools
    I'd be more interested in support for a Bluetooth or USB keyboard to use with a touchscreen smartphone.

I can touch type, but on a full size keyboard, using all 10 of my fingers. I learned how to type on a typewriter when I was in high school.

Touch typing to me does not involve tiny keys on a phone. I could never use more than my thumbs on my old Nokia and BlackBerry devices. I type faster and more accurately on a phone using WordFlow or SwiftKey.
    WordFlow enabled physical keyboard :3 Bluetooth & USB with ability to stick it on to the device. Thanks for ideas. ;)
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    04-29-2015 12:42 AM
    I wouldn't go USB OTG.... USB-C is the way to go. It's smaller. And has OTG support.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    04-29-2015 01:03 AM
    I wouldn't go USB OTG.... USB-C is the way to go. It's smaller. And has OTG support.
    Yeah. But I'd love to have a flat magnetic charger like my Polar band.. I always literally destroy USBs ;)
    Laura Knotek and xandros9 like this.
    04-29-2015 01:30 AM
    I learned how to type on a typewriter when I was in high school.
    Yeah, I took a typing class in High School, but not to learn. I did it for an easy grade, because I could already type well. We got those fancy electric IBM Selectric Typewriters to "learn" on. I actually learned on an old manual typewriter and could type 60wpm on the old manual before I was 10 years old. It's a lost art, I'm afraid. They don't even make typewriters anymore, do they?
    Laura Knotek and xandros9 like this.
    04-29-2015 07:38 AM
    Yeah, I took a typing class in High School, but not to learn. I did it for an easy grade, because I could already type well. We got those fancy electric IBM Selectric Typewriters to "learn" on. I actually learned on an old manual typewriter and could type 60wpm on the old manual before I was 10 years old. It's a lost art, I'm afraid. They don't even make typewriters anymore, do they?
    Who are you trying to con? You took the typing class for the same reason I took Home Economics, for the girls.

Up until high school, I used an Underwood from the Lincoln Administration for reports and stuff. Remember using the correction strips? I thought I'd died and went to heaven when I got an IBM Selectric in 10th grade.
    04-29-2015 09:57 AM
    We had IBM Selectric in school, but I practiced at home on a manual Smith-Corona.
    Who are you trying to con? You took the typing class for the same reason I took Home Economics, for the girls.

Up until high school, I used an Underwood from the Lincoln Administration for reports and stuff. Remember using the correction strips? I thought I'd died and went to heaven when I got an IBM Selectric in 10th grade.
    I think my high school was way ahead of its time. Typing class was required. Both girls and boys had to take it. They inadvertently trained students who would be using computers a few years later.

Sent from my Nexus 7 (2013) using Tapatalk
    rhapdog and fatclue_98 like this.
    04-29-2015 12:09 PM
    dammit the girl I sat next to was really cute but really hard to talk to and super shy & quiet!!! Good typist though so we had unspoken competitions (or it was just me).

She then went on and made a movie career for herself. That one surprised me!
    04-29-2015 12:21 PM

Okay, guilty. Yeah, I took Home Economics as well. Got quite a few "study dates."

Correction strips? Haha! Yeah, I remember that too well. Backspace hold the strip between the ribbon and paper, and hope the stroke places the character in the same exact place, because sometimes it was a bit off and took several tries to get it corrected. Good times.
    Laura Knotek and fatclue_98 like this.
    04-29-2015 01:57 PM
    This Build conference just blew my mind with their idea of a keyboard for Windows phone. The "continuum" for Windows 10 will work on phones, and you get full screen apps by hooking up to an HDMI monitor, keyboard, and mouse, and the apps work just like the full screen desktop apps. You also get to move windows around on the screen.

Yeah, turns out a phone will end up being all the computer some people will need after all. This is exactly the kind of thing I've been dreaming of. I'm drooling over this one. Best news out of the build conference as far as I'm concerned.
    04-29-2015 02:00 PM
    This Build conference just blew my mind with their idea of a keyboard for Windows phone. The "continuum" for Windows 10 will work on phones, and you get full screen apps by hooking up to an HDMI monitor, keyboard, and mouse, and the apps work just like the full screen desktop apps. You also get to move windows around on the screen.

Yeah, turns out a phone will end up being all the computer some people will need after all. This is exactly the kind of thing I've been dreaming of. I'm drooling over this one. Best news out of the build conference as far as I'm concerned.
    This is precisely the reason I hung on to my 1520. As Belfiore stated, we'll need new hardware for Continuum but I don't feel the urge to do desktop work on a mobile display just yet. Very good day to be a Microsoft fan.
    Laura Knotek and Kevin Rush like this.
    04-29-2015 02:09 PM
    This is precisely the reason I hung on to my 1520. As Belfiore stated, we'll need new hardware for Continuum but I don't feel the urge to do desktop work on a mobile display just yet. Very good day to be a Microsoft fan.
    And why I've been buying budget phones, holding out for the day when someone is smart enough to combine the technology that we already have on hand and make it useful like this. Just like PC sales were hurt by laptops and tablets, laptop and tablet sales could someday end up being hurt by Win10 Phones. Imagine that. Puts it right back in Microsoft's pocket.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    04-30-2015 10:13 AM
    A physical keyboard isn't my type of thing. They either take up valuable screen space or make the phone longer and not-pocket-friendly, or they make the phone bulkier if you're on about a slide-out.
    05-02-2015 03:22 PM
    I had a feature phone (square shaped) from verizon previously.

I switched to windows phone 7.5 LG optimus, with a slider keyboard:
    att-lg-optimus-windows-phone-7-smartphone-keyboard.jpg

Got this a few years ago, and I have updated it to 7.8 , and thanks
    to the awesome ZUNE music, and the keyboard, i will never switch
    or upgrade to another phone, unless it has similar features.

i have yet to find one that is windows phone, that can match this one.

later
    05-02-2015 04:53 PM
    Yes, I miss a keyboard.
    05-02-2015 05:32 PM
    I'm a Passport user and it's the best regarding productivity. My only problem is apps though - i know android apps can be sideloaded, but they run badly. Skype, mobile banking apps, lync 2013, google maps etc etc all perform horribly.
    A windows moible 10 device with a similar form factor as the Lumia 940XL would steal gold!
    anthonyng likes this.
    05-16-2015 03:21 AM
    Would love a Windows 10 Mobile device in the form factor of the BB Classic.
    05-23-2015 12:48 PM
    I'm actually wondering if someone were to try and use an iPhone Bluetooth keyboard case and retrofit it to a windows phone if it will actually function since its Bluetooth.
    05-31-2015 02:36 PM
    Windows 10 Mobile should allow Bluetooth keyboards.
    05-31-2015 06:13 PM
    W10 does allow BT keyboards. stop whining. they said it a million times
    05-31-2015 06:59 PM
    Does 8.1?
    05-31-2015 07:03 PM
    Nope.
    05-31-2015 07:12 PM
    I'm actually wondering if someone were to try and use an iPhone Bluetooth keyboard case and retrofit it to a windows phone if it will actually function since its Bluetooth.
    Yep, it will work. I'd rather have a WP like the Dell Venue Pro, BlackBerry Passport, or Palm Pre 3
    05-31-2015 07:19 PM
    I had a passport for a few months. Keyboard and screen and the look of the phone was awesome. You can't beat the feel of a physical keyboard. Unfortunately the app market was actually worse than windows. Yeah it had amazon and you could install and run any apk but most of the android apps wouldn't even start. Or they were missing features, force closing randomly. It was a mess. I traded it for a oneplus and ever since I've been missing a physical keyboard.
    Yazen likes this.
    05-31-2015 09:14 PM
    I had a passport for a few months. Keyboard and screen and the look of the phone was awesome. You can't beat the feel of a physical keyboard. Unfortunately the app market was actually worse than windows. Yeah it had amazon and you could install and run any apk but most of the android apps wouldn't even start. Or they were missing features, force closing randomly. It was a mess. I traded it for a oneplus and ever since I've been missing a physical keyboard.
    Maybe if Microsoft buys BlackBerry they'll push a WP firmware for the Passport haha.
    06-01-2015 05:13 AM
    Yes to Physical QWERTY.

No to a Surface style Type Cover. Why? You can't use it with the phone simply supported in your hands.

I'm a hunt and peck typist so the size of a physical QWERTY on a phone doesn't hinder me. I still get 30 wpm typing the philistine way. I don't think, even with Word Flow and autosuggest, I come near that.

I've used Portrait and Landscape keyboards of the slider type and fixed Portrait in a Bar form, also the Backflip...

IMHO, the Nokia E7-00 is the schmexiest Form Factor [S]God[/S] [S]Michelangelo[/S] Phone Designers ever produced. Generous Landscape key sizing, longer, more pagelike line lengths on a Landscape oriented screen and that uptilt to the screen when deployed... *sigh* I never had one but still wish I had one now. Give me that Form Factor with a modern OS and my money is yours.

nokia-e7-00-7.jpg
    06-01-2015 09:47 AM
104 12345