Would you honestly buy another Microsoft Mobile?

travisel

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
Those prices are wrong on the net! Like when the PS3 came out I sold 3 of them for $1000.00 each for a PS3 lol ....people always trying to rip someone off!

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I completely understand the frustration of people who bought a 930 or who will say no to buying a 950 because for that price an iPhone is surely a better bet with all the Apps available.
I really think you don't get it. The iPhone interface is so low brow. Live Tiles are like a fine wine. iPhone icons are like.. well Boone's Farm (if I'm not dating myself - no self abuse jokes please). If you have the apps you need on WP/M its an easy choice for those who can appreciate the finer things. No offense meant towards the iPhone masses.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
I'm really torn at the price of the 950 that leaked it would be like 900 or so CAD and I cant spend that much I'd honestly prefer to buy a galaxy s6 at that price or just get a 640(or a working 830) for cheaper it's a matter of price for me as I've only ever had windows phones and I only run into a few instances where I dont have an app I need(plus side loading apps makes windows phone perfect for me now) so idk I like the 950 but I need to see how much it costs in Canada to decide fully

Best thing would be to run Win10 on a Xiaomi Mi4C with 3GB RAM/ 32GB ROM and SnapDragon 808 for $235, now that is a swell price:) And Xiaomi cameras are pretty decent as well.

ByeVanno

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Best thing would be to run Win10 on a Xiaomi Mi4C with 3GB RAM/ 32GB ROM and SnapDragon 808 for $235, now that is a swell price:) And Xiaomi cameras are pretty decent as well.
I'll have a look and see when windows 10 comes out fully and see what all there is to offer because I know I dont want another os on my phone but has the xiaomi rom been confirmed yet as actually going to come out?

coldmail-inlook

Jul 5, 2014
Visit site
For those people complaining about the Apps not being available, I completely understand the logic for an Android or iOS device. However, there is a substantial population out there that cannot afford an iOS device nor can they afford the shiny new toys from Samsung, LG etc. For these people the cheaper devices from China - specifically Xiaomi are great. Also in the lower end hardware category the Lumia's are an excellent buy. I completely understand the frustration of people who bought a 930 or who will say no to buying a 950 because for that price an iPhone is surely a better bet with all the Apps available but in the sub $200 category I don't think the price to performance ratio of a Lumia can be beat.

And in the USA on the pre-paid bandwagon the Lumia 640 is a phenomenal buy.
Should I ever need to use an Android app (doubtful), I'll install it on one of those 'virtual Android' software packages for Windows in my notebook PC, and then just control it with my Lumia 625 via TeamViewer app. :wink:

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
I'll have a look and see when windows 10 comes out fully and see what all there is to offer because I know I dont want another os on my phone but has the xiaomi rom been confirmed yet as actually going to come out?

No Xiaomi WP device yet. Supposedly they have WM10 on Mi Note and will support Win10 on their MiPad2.

Aamir Gadit

Sep 1, 2015
Visit site
well i for one was all Microsoft when i bought my lumia 620 and my windows 8 laptop both during the same year. but my lumia still doesnt have the basic apps which was promised by microsoft, still has stability issues and out of all the apps they do have, these apps have not being frequently updated or are buggy as hell. I thought things will improve with windows 10 but boy was i wrong. i cannot access my task bar with windows 10 my modern apps are dead they dont work practically windows 10 is a dump. so yeah i am dissatisfied with my purchase cause there is only so many times you can be mislead. i always thought of myself as a microsoft fan boy but scenarios have changes. i will be moving to apple or back to android because microsoft has let me down.

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
I really think you don't get it. The iPhone interface is so low brow. Live Tiles are like a fine wine. iPhone icons are like.. well Boone's Farm (if I'm not dating myself - no self abuse jokes please). If you have the apps you need on WP/M its an easy choice for those who can appreciate the finer things. No offense meant towards the iPhone masses.

What's the point of live tiles when one cannot apply any actions to them? At least Apple adds Force Touch on their icons now. If one need to use an app, he will launch the respective app eventually. We can hardly even read email message on the tiles, neither can we scroll to the next email on it. If there are new incoming Whatsapp messages, the tile simply show the number of unread messages. Icons do that as well. I don't see any benefits of using tiles that will attract masses over to Windows Phone. In fact, to the average consumers tiles are nothing but a messy chess board of squares and rectangles.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
What's the point of live tiles when one cannot apply any actions to them? At least Apple adds Force Touch on their icons now. If one need to use an app, he will launch the respective app eventually. We can hardly even read email message on the tiles, neither can we scroll to the next email on it. If there are new incoming Whatsapp messages, the tile simply show the number of unread messages. Icons do that as well. I don't see any benefits of using tiles that will attract masses over to Windows Phone. In fact, to the average consumers tiles are nothing but a messy chess board of squares and rectangles.
I understand. I had friends who said similar things about wine: "why do you put up with having to find the corkscrew when Boone's Farm has a screw off cap?" You just have different ideas on what's important.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
In fact, to the average consumers tiles are nothing but a messy chess board of squares and rectangles.

This applies to me. I used a WP as my daily driver for awhile. While I think the Live Tiles, as well as WP's UI, are nice to look at in general, I found them less than practical. They show info seemingly at random, making it much less useful. And they often do not show enough information to be very helpful. I usually ended up opening the app anyway, so in the end they didn't help a bit.

Now, make the Live Tiles actionable, and then we've got something. This is where Android's widgets shine. They show info, and you can scroll through it without opening the app. Or, if you do open the app, it opens to whatever was showing on the widget at the time (in most cases; there may be exceptions). Live Tiles are simply a shortcut to opening the app; what is showing when you open the app means nothing.

In the end, my take on WP's UI is that it is very beautiful, but not very practical.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I need apps in order to continue to support the platform.

Making it easy for companies to port apps isn't going far enough. They still have to provide incentive to companies to port those apps and, so far, Microsoft hasn't communicated a clear strategy to the general public to make this happen. I think Microsoft should start paying developers monthly to port AND support apps as incentive to jump start the process and they should have started doing it MONTHS ago. The porting tools should have been finished MONTHS ago so that they could launch their new platform with a decent and building app catalog. As it stands today, they are launching with an app catalog on life support and tepid to no buzz among consumers.

Also, I believe the " no flagship phone" is a non-issue. Doesn't matter what your pushing. If I can't do my banking on your platform, I won't use your platform. It really is that simple.

So, bottom line, Microsoft needs to do a better job at pushing their platform through monetary incentives and then effectively communicating that those incentives are available to companies with an app presence on other platforms.

Paying developers monthly will just result in them demanding $10m a month or no app (they've already paid developers for making apps and the developers gouged them for it as developers just refused to develop until Microsoft paid them) and given Microsoft need to practically give away the new phones (they need to cost ?50 or less without contract, yes their design is so bad in Joe Public's eye that they will be associated with the Lumia 520) that will make Microsoft bankrupt at an alarming rate. I'm honestly not sure how Microsoft can win this currently. Not only that, but even if they get paid we'll just get the bare minimum of what they're allowed to get away with in the payment contract and if they say feature parity with other platforms they'll just refuse to develop at all.

And in the case of SnapChat (which is required for teens to pick up and keep Windows Phone devices) I could foresee them gouging Microsoft for $1.5 trillion a month to develop an app for Windows Phone given how they've treated us in the past. After all, we need them, they don't need us (as most of their target demographic are already on iPhone or Android), so they could really hold Microsoft to ransom on this.

Last edited:

stressds

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I've gone back and forth on this for a while. I have a 920 and bought it on day one. Since that time Rogers in Canada has basically stopped supporting the platform and Microsoft in Canada has not brought any subsequent flagship to Canada, with the exception of the 1020 and 830. I really want the 950xl to be a killer device with everything I need, but I'm not even sure it will be available in Canada (I'm assuming Microsoft stores will have it, but I assumed that with the 930 as well.) So, I've reserved an iPhone 6S+ and will likely give it a try. By the time my reservation is ready, October 6th will have passed and I'll know for sure what WM 10 / 950xl will bring to the table.

Regarding the App issue. I don't think I'm missing much with the lack of Windows Phone apps. Though it would be nice to have Air Canada / Starbucks / Weight Watchers and a few other apps plus top flight games, I don't think it's the end of the world that I don't have them. What I would really love to hear is that Windows Mobile 10 will be compatible with MirrorLink for cars, but they have been very silent on that.

I also use a Microsoft Band / Groove Music and am heavily invested in both. I don't know what the experience will be like on iOS (would never consider Android).

I will also miss Qi charging and glance and dedicated home/search/back buttons.

So - I'm clearly torn on this and even by reading what I've written, it seems clear that I want to stay with WM 10, but at the same time, I want to see how the other side lives.

Hopefully I'll hate the iPhone and come running back to WM :)

jabtano

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I'm seriously thinking and looking at other devices mainly because I'm leaning to the XL but its as always exclusive so probably not staying after ten years of Microsoft mobile phones the exclusives thing finally finished me off

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I played with my cousin's iPhone 5 yesterday and honestly, I don't like it, its kinda boring OS and a bit complicated. And when I compared my 640's Win10 to the iOS(don't know which version was that), I could clearly see why I preferred Win10 look. 3D stuff are not for me anymore, I feel that this linear design is much more futuristic and interesting. Also, is that physical button all that there is, like one button for everything, idk, I was lost there, pretty much because I'm clueless about iOS.
If WP ever dies I'll probably have to switch to android, LG to be exact, but I hope that never happens.

maclancer

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
I am switching from the 1520 to Nexus 6 when the 64GB version drop in price. I am tired of Microsoft putting crappy release of Windows 10 mobile preview. At this time, windows 10 mobile should be with stability and only few bugs. The final version will come in a few weeks. They don't have this OS complete yet.... It needs at least 6 more months. I am tired of this. Goodbye community. It was a great enjoyable experience for this 2 years with my 1520 but I am looking for something else that windows 10 does not offer yet and it is the google services.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I am switching from the 1520 to Nexus 6 when the 64GB version drop in price. I am tired of Microsoft putting crappy release of Windows 10 mobile preview.
Since you can only have the crappy WM10 preview on your 1520 by taking steps to install it yourself, aren't you worried that someone will figure out how to install WM10 on the Nexus and you will have to then replace it?

Santos lil elpair

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site

I like this analogy. Boones farm you can have everyday and take it anywhere, much like iOS - very usable. WP is only usable for certain circumstances and you don't get to use it often like a fine wine...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon