How to tackle Android/iOS fanboys?

dby2011

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
you should just show them your latest Snapchat... oh wait...

Is that after you buy them a cup of coffee with your Starbucks app while listening to Sirus/XM and checking your bank balance at Chase? ..oh wait....

I'm sorry, that was uncalled for. I just find it funny, that now I am on the other side, to see people still rationalizing not having apps.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Is that after you buy them a cup of coffee with your Starbucks app while listening to Sirus/XM and checking your bank balance at Chase? ..oh wait....

I'm sorry, that was uncalled for. I just find it funny, that now I am on the other side, to see people still rationalizing not having apps.
Different people have different things that they are okay or not okay with. My dad has no interest in doing any banking on his phone and I don't think that I do either. Everyone is different of course. I don't do satellite radio so the fm radio built in is just fine for me, or I could always use iheartradio.

So I don't see the issue with rationalizing things that isn't an issue to me since I don't use them.

dby2011

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
I was ok with not having that stuff either. Now that I do, I think it's completely ridiculous not to have it. I am really pulling for Microsoft, and if the app/software situation would be equal, I would still be using a Lumia as my primary phone. Price would be the only factor to recommend a WP right now and that is slowly disappearing with phones like the Moto G and HTC Desire series. Being able to conveniently check your bank balance or buy a cup of coffee with your phone should not be a luxury in 2015. Like I said in my previous post, your are better off keeping your mouth shut and not arguing. I learned the hard way with my Zunes.

Eugeniu SP

Mar 11, 2014
Visit site
It was easy in my case. I got a Lumia 635 for $29 last year on black Friday and it's just unbeatable in terms of what you get for it's price.

qbrick

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
I ususally display my Linux/*BSD knowledge and point out, how much Windows has improved with Win 8.1/10 and they are baffled - at least those who are tech-prone.

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
I ususally display my Linux/*BSD knowledge and point out, how much Windows has improved with Win 8.1/10 and they are baffled - at least those who are tech-prone.

Ahhhhh.....love Linux....what happened to Ubuntu phone? Great distros, straight forward for those less tech savvy. I dual boot, and for just web stuff, it's Linux all the way, chromixium is blazingly quick for web. Anything else, W10, although the constant updates / fixes are becoming a pain in the back side.

Last edited by a moderator:

mstrblueskys

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
Re: How to tackle android/iOS fanboys

Want my 2 cents?

Of course you do - that's why you put this on the forums! Here's the best advice to your question. Don't.

The people you want to talk to about your phone are the people who ask you why you're using whatever phone you're using, not the ones who start a 'war' on your phone. The people who are genuinely interested will listen. The warriors want to win.

I'll explain more: I'm an Asus Zenfone 2 user. I used to be a Palm WebOS user. I'm using, and have always used what works best in the moment. I'm in the Windows forums right now because I think Windows is doing everything it can to squash the competition by making the right software moves. Google is breaking itself up between Android and Chrome and I think that's ultimately going to lead to their devices being less useful in the future. It seems iOS has become stale and the integration with OSx isn't moving as fast as I figured they would. Continuum is awesome. Cortana, by everything I've seen so far, should kick all the assistants to the wayside very soon (give me an Amazon Echo Cortana device, already!) and they've done a great job listening to the customer. There are a lot of things to like about Windows and Windows Phone coming up.

But the fact of the matter is I'm using my Zenfone, not my 640, as my daily driver right now. It just works better for what I need to do today. That's probably true for the people who are arguing with you about your phone, too. Let the fan boys and girls take their swings now. We know where this is going. And when they come to ask you questions about setting up a Microsoft account, or when you have Cortana listening to you in every room of your house, be it on your Xbox, PC, or Phone, and they're interested, don't be afraid to educate.

The fact is people are afraid of what is different if they don't understand it. Don't be scary. Don't start fights. Don't make these brilliant machines of progress tools of war and objects of contention. Say things like, "You have a very nice phone - I just prefer the aesthetic of Windows Phone," or, "it's exactly what I need in a phone." Thwart the efforts to rile you up. Play dumb - after all, you're using a Windows Phone; it's what they expect.

But we (here in the Windows Central forums) know you're not dumb. It's going to happen. In the end you'll be right. And when that time comes - don't make them feel bad. Android and iOS are great right now. I don't blame anyone for using either today. And I'm sure you can find things you'd like to have off the newest Galaxy Note 5 or rumored iPhone 6S. It's not a bad thing, so don't make it that. You really can't fault a person for being attracted to those options today.

My biggest piece of advice: forget the fans. Their minds are made up. Instead, focus on those willing to hear you out. Help the curious find the path to the future. Be educated about the options. Know your competition inside and out. Help those looking understand why Windows Phone may be the best choice for them despite the offerings of Android and iOS. Know those willing to talk to you well enough to understand if it is actually the best option. Stay credible. Don't force someone to do something they aren't ready for. Help the person - not the brand. Eventually, should Microsoft keep trending the way it's going, the brand will start helping you help more and more of those you run into.

If you ever feel weak or down, come here. We've got your back. We know why you're fighting the good fight, why you've voted, 'Microsoft Mobile,' with your hard earned money. We love what Windows is doing. We'll talk to you all day about it. We love the hardware. We drool over the software. We know the updates, the rumors, and the tricks. We'll build you back up after a hard day admitting that your phone may not be the best for someone else. We promise.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Re: How to tackle android/iOS fanboys

I've got a device from every OS. I think for me, it's not a war of which is better. The war is trying to get people to just enjoy what's there in front of them.

To stop being so obsessive over just one device, OS, etc. Try new things, be unbiased, enjoy technology. It's here for us to experiment and play with.

Why always eat steak, why not fish or chicken? Venture outside the box!
Sent from my 640 using Tapatalk Classic.

Ahh, but that's so scary for some people. The unfamiliar has us starting wars against each other. If people would only learn to look outside the box.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site

How do some of us get by in life?

AccentAE86

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
There isn't much to say in this argument. Each person's needs are different. I mostly use and own Lumias and an iPhone 5s. Over here in "overly spoiled rotten Canada", iPhones rule the world like crazy. When people ask, I just tell them I use both, but I prefer Windows phone, because it lets me get the same tasks done with about 500% less taps and swipes. People don't really argue when you actually use both and then state your opinion. Though I won't lie, the many distinctive features of WP has disappeared over the last year and it is a less compelling case.

TheLumiaExperience

Sep 6, 2015
Visit site

Hmmm... that's not entirely fair.
Some people don't need to rationalise that, and those that do, know what they're doing/thinking/feeling (they're applying logic and reason). They're not lying to themselves, if that's what you're implying.

Some people are content. Maybe for now, maybe because they can do everything they want at the moment, maybe because they know the app situation is improving every day or will in the near future.

I had to make that decision when buying my phone - fewer apps for a platform and hardware I prefer. Done. I knew what I was getting into.

Of course, it would be NICE to have certain apps we don't currently have - let's not pretend that it's not - but it's not a deal breaker for me. It may be for others.

williamworlde

Oct 22, 2014
Visit site
Answer: who cares. They like what they like, you like what you like.

Well done! It IS as simple as that, isn't it?

I've used iOS, BB and Android. If a Windows device comes along that catches my fancy, why not?!

(I just don't appreciate the lower-end devices we have been getting here in The Great White North. NO phone with 8GB storage and 1GB RAM will work efficiently in today's world. Maybe the new 9xx series will change that ? and just maybe we'll be getting it too!)

CalibreX

Sep 9, 2015
Visit site
I used Android for Years now, with Firmware-Compiling, bugfixing and such stuff.

Android gets Version by Version harder to Root (And this comes from Google, and not the Device Vendors) so i bet Android will be someday closed source like IOS or WP.
Thats why Cyngn Inc (Cyanogen). develops a own OS based on Android, but without Google in it. (Not CyanogenMod, it's a new OS besides it)

But there a Points in the Life of a Human, where he needs something new.. Thats why i got a Lumia 930 last Week.
I'm very happy with it.
Hope my just one Week old 930 will be still supported for 12 or more Months. Just realised 4 Days ago, that new Models will be released soon.

Sidenote : I'm used Android Devices up to the Galaxy S5 (Sony, HTC and so on). None of them came near the Quality of the Lumia 930 Camera. I've tested it at the last weekend.
Funny is most Devices there, are using the Sony Exmor Chip, and having a better Quality then the Sony Devices itself (Z3,Z3Compact).

To the Markets :

It's nice to see that there is a Market without 1000'th diffrent Apps for just one thing. I can life with it, that some Apps aren't on the WP Market.

Sorry for my bad english :) Old German guy here.

Last edited:

FinancialP

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
I used Android for Years now, with Firmware-Compiling, bugfixing and such stuff.

Android gets Version by Version harder to Root (And this comes from Google, and not the Device Vendors) so i bet Android will be someday closed source like IOS or WP.
Thats why Cyngn Inc (Cyanogen). develops a own OS based on Android, but without Google in it. (Not CyanogenMod, it's a new OS besides it)

No offense, but this is wrong. Devices are getting harder to root due solely due to OEMs. Not Google. Google has a ton of resources but not the time to handle the firmware of every device that comes out. Samsung is known to make rooting hard.

WaleedAlrashed

Jan 4, 2015
Visit site
You Know what? I had enough with that from Lumia 800 To Lumia 535 to Samsung Ativ S the People Around me blamed me for being an WP User. and i had enough with that so from now on i will not being a fan for anyone
I really Love WP but I'm also in deep Love with IOS
also I respect what google do In Android
so take it easy and Pass it on :)

CalibreX

Sep 9, 2015
Visit site
No offense, but this is wrong. Devices are getting harder to root due solely due to OEMs. Not Google. Google has a ton of resources but not the time to handle the firmware of every device that comes out. Samsung is known to make rooting hard.

They doing it on the lowest Level of Android, Google didnt brough Samsungs Knox for nothing. They are working on bringing Knox together with SELinux. And only that shows the Way they want to go in the Future.

Sony is going some dirty Way (Even Samsungs Knox is a child against it). Unlocking the Phone removes DRM Keys, and one Example that happens without them :

Camera is loosing several Filters, and Algorythms...so every Picture (Mostly these made in dark Areas) look like real Crap.
Miracast, X-Reality, Bavaria, Sound Settings and more will be lost too.

You can backup these Keys, but you can use them only on Sony-Firmwares.

And to that : No Aftermarket-Firmware for the newer Sony Phone has the Camera correct, because of the lack of drivers and drm keys.

they except that the Z5/Z5c will loose much more, after unlocking.

But i'm not on the Bandwagon "OS Fighters, and Fanbois". I say to others : Use what you like most. Thats the fairest Way to answer.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
otispit