How to tackle Android/iOS fanboys?

anon(8145610)

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
Re: How to tackle android/iOS fanboys

With 8.1 I felt the platform was headed in the right direction - the top issue overcoming the app deficit. Now, with 10, I see Microsoft essentially abandoning everything that made 8.1 special - including the large variety of Lumia-only camera apps and services. I don't see the reason to continue with Lumia as Microsoft continues to break it apart.

Tumultus

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site
No...I'm not using the Tech prev to show off, and I even don't want to go into the war to begin with.

Let me put it this way :)

I read an article on iMore last week, that in iOS 9, "you will be able to write commands to siri, just as you would speak to her/him"!!!!
And when those iPeople come to me saying "hey, there you go...", and I say, "well, Cortana had this from the beginning...", and they're like, "OK, you want an OS WAR...."!!

Anyways, its very easy for me to ignore these things nowadays, and its not really a problem at all.....but just for the record....Win phone has small letters when not Caps Locked.....DUHH

B)
Well, there you have it! In this case, I would say you started it since the typical "Well, my operating-system-of-choice had this from the very beginning ..." might actually come across a little bit fanboyish and jerky. If you would have said something like "Nice! I have been enjoying this functionality on my device with Cortana. You'll be pleased with it.", it just sounds more positive.

I am sure you meant to say the latter but instead, you called them out on a feature that found it's way late into Siri.

Lundon44

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
I don't even bother engaging in any OS wars. Where I live WP's marketshare in definitely less than 0.05% (Toronto, Canada). So even trying to debate is pointless. I do enjoy the moments however where someone points out things like when my Lumia 1520 takes a substantially better photo over my friend's Samsung of Apple phone. It took a long time for my girlfriend to admit her Galaxy S5's camera was inferior. But I do get annoyed with occasional comments that my phone is "sh*t" because of one off day where my GPS was giving us the runaround. Or the off day where she asked me to snap a pic of something for her and it came out blurry. That's usually the way most people bash things. Like if your friend was trying to launch an app on their Samsung and it crashed.. or if they complained about their background app's eating their battery life you might say the same thing. That THEIR phone is sh*t because of those things. It's what we all do. Every person likes to feel they invested their hard earned money into something they love. Whether it's a car, a phone, a laptop, game console etc.. And we all like to feel that those material items are better are better than everyone else's so we get naturally get defensive. Even I'm not always great at trying to give completely unbiased opinions. It's not easy.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Just show them Android issues list of 38 000 bugs https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/list

I took a moment to read some of them. A lot of them appear to be similar complaints people here have regarding upgrade issues or other 'defects' they encounter on Windows Phone. Except they happen to be in a long list that you can link to. Unfortunately I don't think such a list exists for Windows Phone. I'm sure the list for WP and iOS is of similar length... if you take into consideration all the complaints as well.

Allow me to put this into perspective, yet again, for those who don't get it. No OS is perfect. No software is perfect. To compare at this level is to nit pick and doesn't accomplish anything.

If you don't like Android, fine, don't use it. Don't like iOS, fine, don't use it. What's the point of beating up each other over what is essentially a personal choice. I don't get it.

A couple of digs here and there is a bit of fun if done playfully but this is just getting silly now.

Last edited:

miketer

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
I've been a Windows user since 2012, an ardent and proud user of 920....the only Windows phone that I've ever used until now. I'll agree to all points written above on how to handle fans of other operating systems, but I still don't understand why we need a third party software like Rap Dialer to use smart dialing i.e. to choose contacts by name via the numerical pads. Alphabets are shown on the numerical pad, but it's just for show. It's almost like an adamant attitude from MS. I'm pretty sure there's no complications in the OS to get such a simple facility from them. The first thing that I check after an update is whether this is been facilitated, but....

Last edited:

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site

Iris Scanner works a little diffrent, that facial unlock is useless if you want to use your phone fast. I don't know how fast it is now, but I like the idea of Windows Hello which already proved it self feeling faster. Plus only your real face works.

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site

I've got a device from every OS. I think for me, it's not a war of which is better. The war is trying to get people to just enjoy what's there in front of them.

To stop being so obsessive over just one device, OS, etc. Try new things, be unbiased, enjoy technology. It's here for us to experiment and play with.

Why always eat steak, why not fish or chicken? Venture outside the box!
Sent from my 640 using Tapatalk Classic.

I like fish.

dby2011

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site

I had Windows phones exclusively for 4 years, but the last 9 months I have been using a Galaxy S5 along with a Lumia 735. I just don't see how anyone with an open mind can possibly say WP is superior. You will always have fanboys that will give you a hard time and you just have to walk away, but I can't think of any type of a response to them. If you are happy with WP and it offers the functionality you want then fine. I'd just drop it because you won't win an argument.

I hate to use this analogy, but I was a big Zune person. I'd argue against iPod all the time. Years later, sold all 3 of my Zune's on eBay and now own 2 Ipod touches for all my music. I'm just saying.

elangab

May 1, 2012
Visit site

I used to many years ago, but not anymore. Truth is all 3 are pretty good, so it all comes down to what makes more sense to you, and your workflow. Windows Phone is not a bad OS, but for each his own.

Don't try to "compare" anything, as all three have their strengths and weaknesses.

When someone is asking me why WP is better than iOS/Android, my reply is that it's not better - but it's better for my needs, and your needs might be different and maybe one of the other two will be the better choice for you. That's how you avoid these time wasting arguments.

Maxy12

Apr 19, 2015
Visit site
WP is futuristic OS. Always when I use iphone or Android I feel like I'm using Windows XP but WP feels more modern and elegant.

Poirots Progeny

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site

Google or Bing "io9 cognitive biases". Pretty much the reason why these arguments take place. Human beings are a funny lot. The only people that win from m such arguments are the shareholders of the respective companies who take home lovely large dividends tax free. Everyone has an opinion and everyone is entitled to one just like everyone is entitled to spend their money wherever and however they want. The person seeking self assurance and affirmation, for their choices, purchasing or otherwise, from other people; that person needs to evaluate their life as their priorities are off. That's just my opinion ;)

jaimeastin

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Google or Bing "io9 cognitive biases". Pretty much the reason why these arguments take place. Human beings are a funny lot. The only people that win from m such arguments are the shareholders of the respective companies who take home lovely large dividends tax free. Everyone has an opinion and everyone is entitled to one just like everyone is entitled to spend their money wherever and however they want. The person seeking self assurance and affirmation, for their choices, purchasing or otherwise, from other people; that person needs to evaluate their life as their priorities are off. That's just my opinion ;)

Great read. I have read many things like tha before, and this was forwarded in to others: http://io9.com/5974468/the-most-common-cognitive-biases-that-prevent-you-from-being-rational

There is no point this this argument... I am with you, if you have to argue about the phone choice, then there is more question to self than the phone... We all have money to buy on which we could buy any onw we choose... So own the decision and keep it moving... People are always looking to the future rather than living now. No nee or exaggerates features needed when in reality most people are browsing the web and messaging...

Dang, there I find myself liking and agreeing with your post... Did I not just read the damn article?! Ohhhh, we all fall to something. Just own it... Not all is negative or positive... It is what it is ans they all have their place. being rational is KEY.

EBUK

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
if they want to be a lemming, be a lemming! you're not stopping them from being a lemming. lemming on!

Windows 10 is a single OS:
  • Windows 10 on desktops
  • Windows 10 on laptops
  • Windows 10 on laptops/tablet hybrids
  • Windows 10 on tablets
  • Windows 10 on phones
  • Windows 10 on a USB stick
  • Windows 10 IoT

In what way is using Windows 10 not being a lemming? :smile:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads