01-24-2017 10:04 PM
731 ... 1213141516 ...
tools
    Hers did it after denim updated even...but it had a slow processor.
    11-30-2015 06:06 PM
    Lowe's is a hardware store and stuff is not organized intuitively. The app is amazing. My wife clips coupons at our grocery store to her phone for Kroger. I am annoyed also at the lack of an NFC payment system on windows phone only. The problem from a developer stand point is they first have to make it. Even if it is very easy to port, it is more difficult to port than not port. Second, they have to maintain the apps. That is probably the biggest reason apps disappear (banking apps or airline apps for example). Something changes on the back end and then you have to edit code again. Easier just to not do that since windows phone users have to either just deal with it or switch. I don't think the small user base is enough to sway opinion. I hoped that universal apps would fix it, but I doubt it, since computers are used for different purposes....you really aren't going to break out your surface to get a 20% discount on hummus. Most of the universal apps I know go the other way...phone then computer.
    Ahh ok. Well that's cool. Yes, but keep in mind that we don't have a payment system in Canada for ios or android. In fact, Apple Pay works if you use American Express, but i doubt many people here have american express.

MS is releasing OnePay which should support visa, masterard and all the major credit cards.
    11-30-2015 06:29 PM
    I wield two, sometimes three devices. That's how I got rid of the app gap. Of course I don't carry them at the same time, but I rotate
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    11-30-2015 06:36 PM
    I couldn't decide between the 6s plus, 6p and the 950xl, but think I will probably stick with windows as it is consistently getting better and better over time. I have an iPad for the odd app I need occasionally and to be honest my banks mobile site is miles better and faster than their ios or android app so I'm not really missing out there. I've been using windows phones since the Lumia 800 so if it's not in the store now I probably don't need it anyway. Besides I have folders and folders of apps on my iPad that I thought would be useful but I've only used once. Look at how windows tablets and 2in1s are smashing the iPad in sales, that's going to bring more apps in. It's down to personal choice in the end I guess. My wife moved from windows phone to a note 3 and there are some pretty decent metro style launchers in the play store if you find you are missing windows phone like she did. Good luck with your s6 it's beast of a phone.
    jlzimmerman and hiya15 like this.
    11-30-2015 06:44 PM
    The Chase app got me, I've been sim swapping a Nexus 5 and a 640 for the last 2 months, its getting to be a chore.
    Irving Eskenazi likes this.
    11-30-2015 07:53 PM
    I could care less about any social media app but it's downright puzzling why no major banks have maintained support for the platform. It can't possibly be a security issue as Windows is likely the most secure of the three.
    11-30-2015 07:57 PM
    I couldn't decide between the 6s plus, 6p and the 950xl, but think I will probably stick with windows as it is consistently getting better and better over time. I have an iPad for the odd app I need occasionally and to be honest my banks mobile site is miles better and faster than their ios or android app so I'm not really missing out there. I've been using windows phones since the Lumia 800 so if it's not in the store now I probably don't need it anyway. Besides I have folders and folders of apps on my iPad that I thought would be useful but I've only used once. Look at how windows tablets and 2in1s are smashing the iPad in sales, that's going to bring more apps in. It's down to personal choice in the end I guess. My wife moved from windows phone to a note 3 and there are some pretty decent metro style launchers in the play store if you find you are missing windows phone like she did. Good luck with your s6 it's beast of a phone.
    When I think about the universal apps that I use, they have all been developed for the phone first. It seems very few jump from the surface to mobile. I think this trend will likely continue. Apps aren't always what they are cracked up to be, but it is kind of annoying when EVERYONE else has access to something you don't, like the OP's story. Or when you try to get on a social app like Yik Yak. Before you ask "what's that," we just don't recognize that they are missing because we don't know anything about it. I at least just read Windows Central for most of my tech news, so have for a long time been kind of in the dark on how behind Windows is in app development. Sure the OS is the most beautiful and inspiring. But with each update a little gets shaved off as new functions are added with a lot of bugs to sift through. I would rather see slow forward progress instead of 80 improvements and 60 mistakes each time they overhaul the system (which is pretty much every 2 years).
    vogliadicane, MikeSo and Clinton_O like this.
    11-30-2015 08:03 PM
    I changed from 630 to a core prime Samsung, must admit i am loving the apps i missed about 3 i loved. There is one app i did ask the company here is there response below.., just seems nobody cares about WP's :(..such a shame as i do love their OS . What good is a smart phone without Apps?, ok if you just text and call i guess...I mean even Facebook is taking its sweet time!. I think check back in a year maybe the App Gap wont be an issue.
    Hi
    Thanks for your interest! We don't currently have plans for a Windows Phone App, but it is something that we may do in the future.
    11-30-2015 08:06 PM
    I could care less about any social media app but it's downright puzzling why no major banks have maintained support for the platform. It can't possibly be a security issue as Windows is likely the most secure of the three.
    They don't even develop them for the surface/PC market since most people in those markets, so I doubt universal apps are going to lead to more development. All universal apps do is make it easier for small 4th party developers to port from windows phone to PC. It almost never goes the other way.
    11-30-2015 08:06 PM
    My point is those apps never existed before so the apps in store haven't gotten worse. But yes there's a lot of niche apps out there. I never had issues finding stuff at grocery stores and I don't see people at grocery store looking at their phone to find stuff, but they release these apps anyways just in case. And of course they are so niche that they know it's unlikely a windows user will walk in and need it. So why bother? That's why the dev tools are important and I hope ms can get people on board.
    As more and more apps are introduced to Android and iOS, and Windows phone are still having the same old unpolished apps, yes that's getting worse.
    MikeSo likes this.
    11-30-2015 08:30 PM
    Time to ask the app authors when they are going to release a windows version. With products like Xamarin it shouldn't be too hard.
    11-30-2015 09:00 PM
    Windows mobile market share is 3% . I think the chances are only it might come down to 0.3 %. Hence the app gap issue is going to get worst. Most importantly existing apps too are getting buggy and no great updates seen in such apps compared to the ones in rival os. Even if we mail or raise a support issue with the developers on the app issues there is minimal or no response. It gives a feeling of discrimination and it doesn't feel good. But after 3 years of windows phone usage now i realize that there is no point blaming these developers or companies as why in the world would they put efforts on the maintenance of an app in a OS that's facing extinction. I seriously doubt if this is turning out to be the next Blackberry story. Yesterday they have launched 950XL in India for 50k. I have no idea with such app gap issue , nowhere near android/ios ecosystem,such minimal market share, and this ridiculous pricing how in the universe are MS planning to sell these mobile to people with some common sense.
    Last edited by njnbat; 11-30-2015 at 09:23 PM.
    melhiore and WesleyBPeres like this.
    11-30-2015 09:12 PM
    Windows mobile market share is 3% . I think the chances are only it might come down to 0.3 %. Hence the app gap issue is going to get worst. Most importantly existing apps too are getting buggy and no great updates seen in such apps compared to the ones in rival os. Even if we mail or raise a support issue with the developers on the app issues there is minimal or no response. It gives a feeling of discrimination and it doesn't feel good. But after 3 years of windows phone usage now i realize that there is no point blaming these developers or companies as why in the world would they put efforts on the maintenance of an app in a OS that's facing extinction. I seriously doubt if this is turning out to be the next Blackberry story.
    Yeah I was just thinking about this numbers issue. 100% of WM users = 4% of Android Users = 20% of iPhone Users. That is why anything that might only get used by say 10% of WM users gets the respect it would if 2% of iPhone or 0.4% of Android users bought into it.
    11-30-2015 09:22 PM
    Yeah I was just thinking about this numbers issue. 100% of WM users = 4% of Android Users = 20% of iPhone Users. That is why anything that might only get used by say 10% of WM users gets the respect it would if 2% of iPhone or 0.4% of Android users bought into it.
    What a novel way of looking at it. In some markets, WM users must be 50-100% of iPhone users. When you quote it like that to an app producer it becomes a more interesting proposition.
    11-30-2015 09:51 PM
    In some markets, WM users must be 50-100% of iPhone users. When you quote it like that to an app producer it becomes a more interesting proposition.
    iPhone users spend money freely. Windows Phone and Android users do not. There are probably no markets where the Windows Phone market is more lucrative than the iPhone market, or even close. Android is profitable through its sheer size, but yet not to the level of iOS which has maybe 1/4 of the number of users, if that.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    11-30-2015 09:58 PM
    Sad part is that the MS apps perform better on the other OS's, especially Outlook.
    outlook on windows 10 mobile is much better than the iOS counterpart. The calendar and the ability to pin folders makes it much better. It's cleaner as well.
    wisedesi likes this.
    11-30-2015 10:06 PM
    subscribed
    11-30-2015 10:07 PM
    I really hope you're enjoying all those gorgeous apps, oh how sweet they are! They aren't regular apps, they're gonna cook meals for you, they're gonna make your bed, they'll sing you a lullaby so you can sleep well. I don't get why anyone uses WP when all WP has are some third party stupid ugly apps.
    njnbat likes this.
    11-30-2015 10:44 PM
    Time to ask the app authors when they are going to release a windows version. With products like Xamarin it shouldn't be too hard.
    Clearly you don't actually know what Xamarin is. Xamarin is a tool that lets developers write an app that works on Windows Phone, iOS, and Android using C# or .NET and compile it to the device's native language. However, if the app is written in Java, or Objective-C (or Swift), etc. then it does nothing for Windows users. It does absolutely nothing to help most developers in releasing a Windows version, that's for sure.
    11-30-2015 10:48 PM
    iPhone users spend money freely. Windows Phone and Android users do not. There are probably no markets where the Windows Phone market is more lucrative than the iPhone market, or even close. Android is profitable through its sheer size, but yet not to the level of iOS which has maybe 1/4 of the number of users, if that.
    And Snapchat etc. make money.... how? For companies like Amazon, Windows actually has a massive advantage: Microsoft permits third party payment systems unlike Apple. So you could have say an Amazon Kindle app that actually allows you to buy a book without Microsoft taking 30%.

However, that aside, I do agree with you that Apple owners have the biggest pockets and spend the most per user. They'd have to since they buy the most expensive hardware.
    11-30-2015 10:51 PM
    I guess Microsoft has tried everything. First they introduced windows mobile and windows phone 7. Then they followed an android strategy of having windows phone 8 in every segment from 520 to 1520's. Now they are trying an iPhone strategy of making phones for fans and loyalists by introducing 950 at prices only the loyalists will buy. None of them worked yet for them and still the still app gap and lack of developer support will haunt them for the years to come. Who knows what nadella might have in his mind now after writing of nokia.
    melhiore likes this.
    11-30-2015 11:06 PM
    How is the app gap getting worse? It's actually getting better but at a slow rate. If it was getting worse we wouldn't be seeing all these new apps coming over. Even something simple like ibasket for ios coming over shows it's getting better. It's not fixed no doubt but don't get the getting worse part. Definitely will take time. Hope continuum gets people interested it seems the one thing reviewers can agree is cool about the 950.
    It's getting worse because most of the app available in windows 8.1 are not available in windows 10 mobile.. Microsoft should release OS by adding more app in the store... Now people hesitate to upgrade to windows 10 mobile and Microsoft will loose wind fans and the market goes down eventually windows 10 will be failure again.....:(
    11-30-2015 11:21 PM
    IMO they must address this issue first, Windows 10 Mobile, universal apps, Cortana will not help unless they do something for this app-gap problem. I don't have my Mac to phone streaming, bank and landline app on Windows Mobile, while available apps are not as good as on Android and iOS :-(
    Last edited by mnsiw; 11-30-2015 at 11:39 PM.
    11-30-2015 11:28 PM
    As long as I have Spotify, Audible, OneNote, Cozi and PocketBible, I'm good so if VZW doesn't have a flagship WM phone in February, I'll wait.
    PocketBible isn't available in the Windows Store for Win10 devices, though it works fine on my 925 and tablet. (Can't get to the app's settings on the tablet, though.) I have them installed because they were installed in W/WP 8.x when I upgraded to 10. Laridian is working on a UWP app, but I'm contacting them to ask they publish the existing apps for Win10 and W10M until the new app is ready.

Edit: Store links for PocketBible
    Win8.x/10: https://www.microsoft.com/store/apps/9wzdncrdfxz2
    WP8.x/W10M: https://www.microsoft.com/store/apps/9nblggh0cjr7

Update: PocketBible for WP8.x is now available in the Windows Store for W10M. The UWP version is still in development.
    Last edited by wpguy; 01-11-2016 at 11:39 AM.
    Muessig likes this.
    11-30-2015 11:41 PM
    Lumia 950 and XL running Android will get you apps
    12-01-2015 12:51 AM
731 ... 1213141516 ...