Why why why?

Alain_A

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I have a lumia 830 which has a sd card months ago i wrote my resume with word and saved it on sd card.
Because i am out of country my phone is on airplane.
Today, i just found out that i can not re-worked that resume cause i have no internet connection.

This is BS.
So, the question is : do i need internet for microsoft office to work?

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
Alain, can you use a File explorer app to locate the file on your phone that you are looking for? Then Open it; it should Open with Word, right?

Alain_A

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Alain, can you use a File explorer app to locate the file on your phone that you are looking for? Then Open it; it should Open with Word, right?

That is how i went with file explorer.
And no does not open says i need internet connection.
Windows phone useless for me.

harihar akhil

Jul 20, 2014
Visit site
I would suggest you to open your resume and copy paste to another new document or check for any enable editing option in the app or dp it on your PC.office for windows 10 mobile isn't reliable.or if you cant do it I can do it for you.all you need is to send me your doc.

Alain_A

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I am not home. one should try it on their computer or tablet or phone by putting them on airplane mode and see if you can edit a document.

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
No. It ask to sign in.
I can't create a new one either. Still need to sign in

Looking at your original question: do you need the internet to open a Word Documents that was stored on a SD card:

The Quick Answer should be NO (you would not need the Internet to retrieve a local file); that said, and because of past issues that have been posted (and personal experiences) regarding idiosyncrasies with the SD Card, I would say that you have a bad read connection between the device (your phone), and the SD Card. This may have occurred during a resent update - note: when I updated to 14905, I received a SD error message; saying, a scan was needed to correct errors, my scan was successful; which is the "usual" result. But, on one occasion I could NOT get the scan to repair errors, no matter what I did. I called MS Mobile - I too was out of town - the first gut said I had a bad SD Card (I hung up on him and called back); I then talked to a caring young lady, and she (after doing some diligent research) suggested I move my APPS from the SD card, to the device; since then I have not had an unsuccessful scan for errors.

So, MAYBE, because you are traveling:

A: Connect your phone - via the appropriate cable - to another device (like a Surface pro, or similar) and move it from the SD card (on phone), and put it on the device; to see if you can call it up from MS Word.
B: You can remove the SD card and place it into another device (like a Surface pro, or similar) and copy it to that device for access to it while traveling.

Note: I know you are more than "probably" aware that if the File is located on OneDrive (and not the local device), then you would need an Internet connection to retrieve it - I know, you know that, but I felt I would be remiss if I did not at least mention the obvious.

Bottom line: I think you probably have a corrupt connection from the Device to SD card (due to a resent update), and think you may need: a second device; or, a successful SD scan; or, another update, correcting the problem; to retrieve your file.

If the corruption was in place before you saved the file to the SD card - you will need add a lot of "luck", to the list above.

please excuse any typing errors.

Best of luck Alain.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
The office apps require you to sign in once at least before you can use them in offline mode. So if you never signed in, that's your problem.

Alain_A

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
sheesh, that's what it was. I had to resign again. now it is working. so that tells me, each time I have an update I have to resign in to Microsoft Office.

thanks guys for all the replies

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
The office apps require you to sign in once at least before you can use them in offline mode. So if you never signed in, that's your problem.
Sometimes the simplest solution is the most overlooked. That young man was thiiiiiis close to chucking his 830 from 35,000 feet.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon