How to get Groove to read 200GB of music from sd card?

Brian Stobbe

Jan 16, 2016
Visit site
I have 170 GB of music, approximately 45,000 songs, on a legit sanDisk 200Gb UHS 1 card. Popped it in my Luima 950. Launched Groove... Groove shows toast message that it's adding the songs. About 10 a second. Ok, so this is going to take awhile but at least it seems to be working. Walk away, come back, total song count on toast message didn't change from when the screen turned off. Now it starts chugging away again, 10 songs a second. Ok, so either the message is inaccurate or this thing is really dumb and will only index while I'm sitting here looking at it. I don't have time to watch it index 45,000 songs so for the next couple days I just try and always have the app open. Somehow it gets to around 4,000 sings or so and then it just stops indexing. Some of my music is indexed and plays but most of it is not in Groove yet. Now what? How do I get Groove to finish building it's library. I'm open to any superior app suggestions also. I use Plex for streaming from my desktop but it's sync also seems overwhelmed with this large of a music collection. Anyone else had any luck with a large music collection on a SD card in a phone? Obviously I'm limited to Windows phone apps. HELP! 😓

Eurx

Nov 17, 2015
Visit site
I don't know but it's may working just when your screen in on. Try with continuum then your screen wouldn't close itself when you aren't there.

Brian Stobbe

Jan 16, 2016
Visit site
Well at this point its not indexing anymore at all. That is my biggest question, how do I get that to start up again? I tried playing a track from File Explorer. It opens up Groove and plays the track but the nothing is added to the library.

Robert Heinrich

Jan 13, 2016
Visit site
I see. I'm not sure why your whole library won't read in the Groove app. Can you maybe try to install Music player from the store and see if all the SD card's music files show up? Music Player is orange with an eighth note icon. It may be that Groove just isn't accepting all the files for an unknown reason.

Brian Stobbe

Jan 16, 2016
Visit site
That app brought in all the music on the card. Unfortunately that app is definitely not as polished as Groove. I'd still like to get this working in Groove is possible. I don't think there is any rhyme or reason to what it indexed vs what it didn't. I think it just stopped. Now is that because of a song limit, or a timeout, or what? I'm going to try adding an album yo the card and see if that gets it indexing again.

Robert Heinrich

Jan 13, 2016
Visit site
Yes I understand. I would want that also. Groove seems pretty good as a player, and it only makes sense you want it to work properly.

Good idea adding files and seeing if you can jumpstart the process again. I'm positive there is a way to finally get it.

If I remember correctly, my SD files were added while my 950 was asleep. I'm pretty sure anyway. I don't recall having to keep it awake. My library was small though. Only 5 Gig

Brian Stobbe

Jan 16, 2016
Visit site
Adding an album to the card did not get the indexing going again. Any ideas? Anyone? Am I really the only one who has tried using Groove with this big of a music library.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Maybe a soft reset can jump start it.
Or check the last one which was indexed and "delete" the next one. (in case this song is the reason the index stopped)

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
In and off is different from a soft reset.

Soft reset : All you need to do is to press and hold the volume down button and the home button, together for almost 10 sec. After some time, you might see your phone vibrating and see the booting screen once again.
Once the phone vibrates, you can release the button.

Brian Stobbe

Jan 16, 2016
Visit site
OK, I'll try that next. Might not be until tomorrow though. I found a post on another site that suggested trying to wipe the card, then go into groove and select all on the library and delete, then put the music back on the card and see if it starts indexing again. Takes multiple hours to load up the card so won't be until tonight that I can try the soft reset. This other post which I can't link to cuz I don't have enough posts on this site yet makes it sound like the mobile version of Groove is just broken and stops updating your library after while. So anytime you drop a new album on the card or take one off down the road you'll have the same issue of it not getting added to the library.

Robert Heinrich

Jan 13, 2016
Visit site
Brian,is the SD card that you're using a new one? Did you have that card in another device or OS prior to your Groove aggravation?

I have found that when switching an SD card from one device to another, even with similar OS, problems arise. I wound up buying a new 8Gb solely for my 950s music and it works ok.

For this reason, I would suggest wiping the card like the other poster above suggested. Starting from scratch and dragging all the files from your desktop to your device's card. It may be slow as hell, but ultimately the fix.

Captain_Eric

Dec 31, 2007
Visit site
I feel your pain. I've elected to put my(smaller) 38 G of music on OneDrive. By doing so, I 1) have all my music saved on OneDrive and steam it to my device, and 2) add "playlists" of music I want on my Lumia 1520 when I'm off-line. In the end, I no longer want all my music files on my device any more. It different than what you trying to do initially. But it works well, because I'll never be able listen to such (huge, though less than your) amount of music. It's months and months, if not years of music. It's different than I expected, but works too. Whatcha think?

Brian Stobbe

Jan 16, 2016
Visit site
It is a new card. Not been in any other devices. Different music app indexes everything fine on the phone. Groove just has some issue where it stops building the library. I'll try and get up to 10 posts so I can include the link.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes