Anyone else bothered by the vibration?

Mark Guim

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Been using the X3 for a couple days and the vibration is bothering me. It feels loud. Almost too loud. It's not as subtle compared to my 950. I want to feel the vibration.. not hear it. Anyone else feel the same?

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I don't have one....yet....but, I'd suggest posting your phone number here, taping the phone to your shoulder, and enjoying a good hands-free massage once you start getting a ton of texts and calls. Put that over-active vibration to good use. :D

Last edited:

Ryan Smith23

Jul 27, 2016
Visit site
The vibration on my Note 5 was so weak, I couldn't even feel it in my pocket, so this is a nice change. I will admit though, it's scared the crap out of me a couple times when I left it on a glass table or such.

Kogling

Sep 14, 2016
Visit site
I definitely find with mine I can hear it more than I can feel it.

More in the habit of having my phone on quite mode these days because of it, especially when I'm traveling for work (sharing rooms or what not) but isnt very practical. It's really annoying you can't disable feedback when navigating - notably back /home buttons more than anything.

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
It's really annoying you can't disable feedback when navigating - notably back /home buttons more than anything.

Settings > Personalization > Navigation Bar > Disable vibration for navigation bar?

Also, Mark is wrong about the vibration, it's fabulous :excited:

Kogling

Sep 14, 2016
Visit site
Settings > Personalization > Navigation Bar > Disable vibration for navigation bar?

f m l

for some reason I actually thought it was under sounds (like where you disable the beeps on key presses).

It just dawned on me I've been looking for a 'disable navigation sounds' all this time ...for vibrations. Think that says it all in regards to the loudness of it...

slyronit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Been using the X3 for a couple days and the vibration is bothering me. It feels loud. Almost too loud. It's not as subtle compared to my 950. I want to feel the vibration.. not hear it. Anyone else feel the same?
Lol did you not use to write for mynokiablog?

Kogling

Sep 14, 2016
Visit site
So, I've just turned vibration back on for navigation.

...The sound doesn't bother me as much as the lack of feedback does... :sweaty:

Corwin_Amber

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Mark, I agree wholeheartedly about the vibration. It is OK, but I prefer the 'round', coinish ones they are using in the 640, e.g.. Would prefer that.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Same here. Would rather feel it than hear it.
I had a couple android phones, can't recall the brand but they allowed vibration to be adjusted/tweaked. Be nice if HP had an option for it. I am not aware of how difficult a FW code update such as this would be or how one would go about getting HP to update something like that. I am sending feedback when I can through there device hub app, so I guess we wait and see when/if items like this end up on their list.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I found the reg key to disable the finger print vibrate feedback. This allowed me to turn off all vibration feed back except the one from messaging which is also default. On all my phones I disable vibrate completely if possible. Just never been a huge fan of it nor really needed it.

Corwin_Amber

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
The popular tool used nowadays and mentioned here also on Windows Central is Interop Tools.
Thanks, Nate. Indeed a great tool, but no real interop unlock and writing many keys is possible.

Nate, have you played with autobrightness in hklm\software\oem\autobrightness? For me, recommended is too dark during the day and brighter is too much during the night. I would need a flatter line.

What do you think?

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Thanks, Nate. Indeed a great tool, but no real interop unlock and writing many keys is possible.

Nate, have you played with autobrightness in hklm\software\oem\autobrightness? For me, recommended is too dark during the day and brighter is too much during the night. I would need a flatter line.

What do you think?
Yes there are limited keys to edit. Yes I too have been looking at the autobrightness. For me I had an issue with it too bright on 0% while in low light to total darkness. I did experiment briefly but I'm still researching since the autobrightness also coincides with other acpi keys which may be untouchable. For now I changed transition delay to zero which helps it adapt and recover faster. Send me a message if you have any other ideas.

Corwin_Amber

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Yes there are limited keys to edit. Yes I too have been looking at the autobrightness. For me I had an issue with it too bright on 0% while in low light to total darkness. I did experiment briefly but I'm still researching since the autobrightness also coincides with other acpi keys which may be untouchable. For now I changed transition delay to zero which helps it adapt and recover faster. Send me a message if you have any other ideas.
Indeed:
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/mt147022(v=vs.85).aspx
BTW, it says, transition delay is in seconds and needs to be between 1 and 5 integer.

This is the original Matrix from HP. I thought I might look it up in my 950XL, but they do it somewhere else, as theirs only contains 50,50 to 1, MAX. HPs looks like this:

Lux Percent
5 14
40 25
400 40
800 60
20000 75
70000 80
100000 90
MAX 100
So I will now think if I want it brighter in the light and leave it at 'recommended' or dimmer in the night and leave it on 'brighter'. Will tell you, what it will be.

OK, I ended up with this. Decided to make the lower brightness lower so I could keep it on 'brighter'. Will see during the day tomorrow.
HP_Elite_X3_Custom_Brightness.png

Last edited:

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Indeed:
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/mt147022(v=vs.85).aspx
BTW, it says, transition delay is in seconds and needs to be between 1 and 5 integer.

This is the original Matrix from HP. I thought I might look it up in my 950XL, but they do it somewhere else, as theirs only contains 50,50 to 1, MAX. HPs looks like this:

So I will now think if I want it brighter in the light and leave it at 'recommended' or dimmer in the night and leave it on 'brighter'. Will tell you, what it will be.

OK, I ended up with this. Decided to make the lower brightness lower so I could keep it on 'brighter'. Will see during the day tomorrow.
View attachment 132361
Sweet! Thanks for this info. My lux settings were a lot higher (add two zeros to everything), but I never looked at them before the last FW update, maybe that is why. BTW the trasnitiondelay still moves while set to 0, but I still have not found it documented anywhere why it should be >= 2 but < 5.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes