Overheating?

Kogling

Sep 14, 2016
Visit site
Anyone else finding that continuum goes unresponsive /funky when the phone starts getting hot?

I've been doing it wirelessly with a Microsoft display adaptor as one would expect this to be cooler than continually charging the phone's battery at the same time (and also less stressing to said battery) but it seems whenever the phone gets a little bit toasty continuum wants to die in some manner? And this is with HP display tool keeping the screen off as much as possible + bluetooth keyboard and mouse.

I've got the leather case so not sure if this is restricting heat? First hour of continuum i even said to myself "this is really cool" (to the touch) then maybe 30 mins later it was really warm and continuum froze. This is warm through the case mind you - the screen was even hotter... toasty I'd say.

I also noticed today (no continuum) when the on-screen keyboard started playing up (sluggish pop-up, delayed text appearance) the finger print sensor area was really warm, and i mean, that area is normally ambient whenever I've touched it. It really got me in to thinking that all the random sluggish interactions being related to heat rather than OS stability? I've never thought much of it since I think the HP leather case masks a lof of the heat you'd normally notice?

Hopefully I'm not going to be the first person of an exploding HP phone...

Just another little nuisance of the Elite providing it's the heat that makes it sluggish, not the OS being sluggish that makes it heat up....

Think from a full charge you can use continuum for 3 hours, so providing you're not wanting to play the Lord of the rings movie, you might just get to watch one whole movie? :amaze: still not a fan of this phone's battery performance. 25% more battery than other phones on the market for 50-75% less screen on time? What are they doing with their drivers :unhappysweat::unhappysweat::unhappysweat::unhappysweat::unhappysweat:

Might need to invest in a wired (non charging) 5M display adapter? :c

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
Are you sure you are on the latest firmware? It had some issues before the firmware, but I can't say I had the phone get warm recently during testing.

Kogling

Sep 14, 2016
Visit site
No updates are being offered to me so would presume so. Firmware's on 0002.0000.007.0088 for clarity sake. I'm not on any insider build.

Did wonder if there was a bit of a memory leak or rouge background process as continuum is far from polished, and I don't think my Nokia 1020 or 1520 ever struggled while they got really toasty playing a game, but the phone does seem to be struggling for stability if it's been used for a while.

That... or Windows is just randomly struggling for stability and the phone heats up occasionally when it does?

Might try another app over HP display tools to disable the screen to see if it just doesn't like wireless adaptors, as I think it was slightly better when I wasn't using it and actually had two apps open.

As a side note, is it normal for the on screen keyboard and text suggestions to pop up on the phone when you click on an input field /start typing with a bluetooth keyboard in continuum?

slyronit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Just too familiar with this happening on my 950XL and the curse SD810. The stuttering is the CPU being throttled back due to heat. I thought the SD820 didn't have this problem, but any CPU would heat up after sustained 100% util.

If this happens out of the blue after an hour, I would blame a rogue process eating CPU. You can connect the phone to WiFi, go to settings-->Update & Security-->For Developers-->Turn on Dev mode and Device Discovery. Once done, you can access tools on the phone by typing the IP address in any browser (On the same network, of course). Includes a handy task manager which can be useful to identify runaway tasks.

invisik

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I had a 950 for a while and know how hot that sucker would get.

I used my x3 for about 30 minutes connected to a TV for Continuum (wired admittedly) but it didn't hardly get warm. Even during OS upgrades the 950 (or even my 1520) would be on fire. The X3 has been great for me in this respect... only ever felt it warm.

My LG V10 on the other hand... sheesh.

I don't have a wireless display to test with here at my office, else I would run it for a while... I might be able to rig something though.

-m

Kogling

Sep 14, 2016
Visit site
Gave it a little try earlier.

Phone gets hot, significantly in camera area. I'd say toasty, but not necessarily an indicator of overheating but a heat I wouldn't like my phone to be at after a few minutes or for a significant amount of time. 1020 probably got a lot hotter in that area under usage (though it did have a massive metal heat sink there), but then again, overheating is relative to a response of heat, not a certain temperature reached.

Developer mode with web based task manager reported Edge as most significant process (two processes, constantly the highest collectively at 30-50% even idle on a page). Whenever mouse movement became a bit sluggish /web pages stopped loading up properly or entirely; the web task manager also stopped reporting with the whole web developer portal going unresponsive (refreshing page) until it all stabilised.

Tried doing a recorded trace, then doing a simple task of downloading a file through edge in continuum and that kept failing in error /was incredibly slow- probably a relation to recording a trace eating the bus? Not had a problem downloading from this particular site before through phone /edge (non continuum).

Generally, the continuum experience was worse with developer mode on. Continuum wasn't this bad in any other usage scenario. display disconnected once and messenger (app) didnt want to load up while continuum was active (phone or on continuum) whereas it's normally fine, and edge didnt completely freeze /lock up this time either, just became slow and refused to load pages. Bluetooth mouse became sluggish but never became unresponsive entirely.

The heat and a general 50% utilization is concerning when you consider what 100% might have been? Using the map in continuum is a pretty poor experience, but will at least go to idle when doing nothing. and you can feel the difference between phone heating up from use and cooling down without use. Scrolling out in the map app was slow, maybe 40% usage, swapping from map to satellite is extremely slow, ramps up cpu, task manager died as per previous comments ^ only became responsive when map started becoming responsive (i.e. loading the map tiles rather than showing all black).

Continuum as a general screen cast is "cool" in terms of temperature (desktop didn't ramp anything up, high cpu idle), so the heat seems application related through continuum.

Using any of the apps on the phone seems fine, i.e. even going to the same pages on edge is super fast, CPU reporting is similar % and heat is lower.

Presumably there is something wrong with the continuum /driver or the wifi device doesn't fare well with constantly streaming?

slyronit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Looks like its still not optimized well for the SD820. I have a 950XL and I haven't experienced the slowness you mention in continuum, even after extended use, although it does get hot (But the 950/950XL) are mostly hot. I will try the things you did and report back with my CPU utilization.

slyronit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Gave it a little try earlier.

Phone gets hot, significantly in camera area. I'd say toasty, but not necessarily an indicator of overheating but a heat I wouldn't like my phone to be at after a few minutes or for a significant amount of time. 1020 probably got a lot hotter in that area under usage (though it did have a massive metal heat sink there), but then again, overheating is relative to a response of heat, not a certain temperature reached.

Developer mode with web based task manager reported Edge as most significant process (two processes, constantly the highest collectively at 30-50% even idle on a page). Whenever mouse movement became a bit sluggish /web pages stopped loading up properly or entirely; the web task manager also stopped reporting with the whole web developer portal going unresponsive (refreshing page) until it all stabilised.

Tried doing a recorded trace, then doing a simple task of downloading a file through edge in continuum and that kept failing in error /was incredibly slow- probably a relation to recording a trace eating the bus? Not had a problem downloading from this particular site before through phone /edge (non continuum).

Generally, the continuum experience was worse with developer mode on. Continuum wasn't this bad in any other usage scenario. display disconnected once and messenger (app) didnt want to load up while continuum was active (phone or on continuum) whereas it's normally fine, and edge didnt completely freeze /lock up this time either, just became slow and refused to load pages. Bluetooth mouse became sluggish but never became unresponsive entirely.

The heat and a general 50% utilization is concerning when you consider what 100% might have been? Using the map in continuum is a pretty poor experience, but will at least go to idle when doing nothing. and you can feel the difference between phone heating up from use and cooling down without use. Scrolling out in the map app was slow, maybe 40% usage, swapping from map to satellite is extremely slow, ramps up cpu, task manager died as per previous comments ^ only became responsive when map started becoming responsive (i.e. loading the map tiles rather than showing all black).

Continuum as a general screen cast is "cool" in terms of temperature (desktop didn't ramp anything up, high cpu idle), so the heat seems application related through continuum.

Using any of the apps on the phone seems fine, i.e. even going to the same pages on edge is super fast, CPU reporting is similar % and heat is lower.

Presumably there is something wrong with the continuum /driver or the wifi device doesn't fare well with constantly streaming?

Can you try all of above with wired continuum?

One thing I have noticed is that the phone doesn't far well when handling both 2.4 Ghz and 5Ghz signals. Miracast is mostly 2.4Ghz.

The best example is streaming videos off the web (5Ghz) to the TV (2.4Ghz) or playing movies from my NAS (5Ghz) to the TV (2.4Ghz). This makes the phone stutter, I believe it is constantly switching between both bands.

Kogling

Sep 14, 2016
Visit site
Can you try all of above with wired continuum?
Tried a session last night with Wired continuum (dock) and on an ultra wide screen (so it was pushing slightly larger than HD) and even when charging it was only warm /no issues with running anything.

Was only a quick session though, but I would presume it's as you say with the wireless switching, and I would presume the wireless modules are near the camera sensor too

slyronit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Interesting. I thought the secondary display with continuum topped out at 1920x1080, so maybe you were running 1920x800 or something for your display?

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
Ran continuum for two straight hours yesterday using the dock. Now, the device was mostly remoting into a Surface Pro, it never got abnormally hot.

Sent from mTalk

Kogling

Sep 14, 2016
Visit site
Interesting. I thought the secondary display with continuum topped out at 1920x1080, so maybe you were running 1920x800 or something for your display?
I know MS's display dock supported a higher-than HD resolution: (WUXGA, 1920 x 1200)

So I assumed it would have been the same for HP but, checking HP's non-existent specifications, there is no indications of resolutions.

Although, this monitor is ultra wide so I guess its being stepped down to 1366 * 768. I never really checked to be honest, I actually thought (from memory) that above resolution was for wider screens but it's actually for more squared ones :<

Will have to try the dock on my screen downstairs (which is where I've been using the wireless one) to get full HD for comparison.

DOGC_Kyle

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
The x3 and Desk Dock support 4K display out. I am not sure if the OS supports it yet, but the hardware is ready. It may have been added in Anniversary Update (RS1) though I am not completely sure, if it's still missing it should be added with a later OS update.

Kogling

Sep 14, 2016
Visit site
Right,

So I bought a usb C to HDMI adaptor, plugged it in, 18% drain in 15 minutes of web browsing, phone got ridiculously hot to the point that you could feel the heat radiating through the leather folio case at about 1cm away.

I'm slowly feeling less and less safe of using this phone with expectations of it spontaneously combusting. No joking intended

edit: and then I get a 40ish minute session draining only 20% with it staying warm :/

Last edited:

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Right,

So I bought a usb C to HDMI adaptor, plugged it in, 18% drain in 15 minutes of web browsing, phone got ridiculously hot to the point that you could feel the heat radiating through the leather folio case at about 1cm away.

I'm slowly feeling less and less safe of using this phone with expectations of it spontaneously combusting. No joking intended

edit: and then I get a 40ish minute session draining only 20% with it staying warm :/
Geez that's crazy. Luckily it's rated to operate at highest 131 ?F ambient. It's tested at 160... Anyway, was that adapter an hp brand?

sent by mTalk

Kogling

Sep 14, 2016
Visit site
Geez that's crazy. Luckily it's rated to operate at highest 131 ?F ambient. It's tested at 160... Anyway, was that adapter an hp brand?

sent by mTalk
Just a generic one.

But phone just got equally hot doing 15min of web browsing on amazon no continuum.

On 47% atm So it's just dumped probably 40% worth of battery in a short time, and I can feel it getting hot writing this.

Based on the other users post I'm thinking HPs last update has done something funky since it wasn't this bad....

I now post this at 43%

dpgx81

Nov 22, 2016
Visit site
Mine gets warm when using with the lap dock but not really warm enough that I'm concerned with device safety / stability. I've been using it primarily wirelessly, but have also tried with it physically plugged in.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon