Elite x3 freezes every text

ndouni

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
I am having the same issue and it is very very annoying and frustrating, as this is not productivity at all. I will try and restore from fresh, no backup restore and will see. They really need to address this, I even got out of the preview build back to manufacturer build, nada, no fix.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Hi All, my freezing issues seems resolved by not restoring from another Microsoft windows phone, but setting up as new phone and then logging in to the Microsoft account.
Good deal. Sometimes when I reset I don't even restore from a backup of the same phone model just for reasons like yours. I would rather Microsoft allow you to choose what to restore from that previous backup. For now I rely on sync settings for the little things (wifi, theme, etc).

Ken Nye

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
I switched to using skype preview as my default sms programs and the freezing during txt has gone away.
I would rather use messages app, but no crashing and freezing makes me stick with skype preview, and I found the running skype preview on my desktop allows me to sms from desktop, which works great and is a pretty cool benefit of skype preview.. the big problem I have with it ,the live tile never shows that I have messages :(

chsoriano

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I've had these freezing issues on/off. After some insider builds I've found I have to do a hard reset and not restore from a backup for the device to work properly, while some builds have updated and not changed anything.

After updating to 14977 yesterday, I've had to reset today because the phone started freezing and entering into a reboot loop (which I posted about weeks ago).

wpuserto

Oct 7, 2014
Visit site
Andddddd we are back. The phone is freezing after it receives text messages. This morning I noticed it froze over night and didn't charge. I'm not sure what to do at this point. :S

chsoriano

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
That's what I've found as well, don't restore from a backup and the experience is night and day better. I wonder if this us already on feedback hub... Will look when I get home

wpuserto

Oct 7, 2014
Visit site
I didn't restore and opted to start from scratch. I've done this twice and I'm still having the freezing issue. Seems to happen mostly when I receive texts.

That's what I've found as well, don't restore from a backup and the experience is night and day better. I wonder if this us already on feedback hub... Will look when I get home

chsoriano

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I didn't restore and opted to start from scratch. I've done this twice and I'm still having the freezing issue. Seems to happen mostly when I receive texts.
Hmm, yeah if you're not on an Insider build that's odd. I'm actually taking my Elite X3 off of insider because of the freezing and app crashing issues. So I will keep an eye out on texts and freezing issues. I may stop using the Skype Preview because I think that is part of the issue, a lot of times it gets out of sync with Messaging, and refuses to open certain threads so I may stick to the built in messaging app.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Try adjusting your apn settings. Have you used unlocked phones in the past? If not look up your carrier settings and set manually. I'm on at&t and for some reason the elite x3 defaults to an outdated apn every time. Also are your sms settings all default? Try turning off all the switches for confirmations/delivery. Is it the whole phone freezing or only the app? Try disabling backing up text messages too if you have to. If your phone only freezes while on/using sms/mms it is something pretty limited to that area of the device/software. Or maybe it is region specific...either way don't give up.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Hmm, yeah if you're not on an Insider build that's odd. I'm actually taking my Elite X3 off of insider because of the freezing and app crashing issues. So I will keep an eye out on texts and freezing issues. I may stop using the Skype Preview because I think that is part of the issue, a lot of times it gets out of sync with Messaging, and refuses to open certain threads so I may stick to the built in messaging app.
I've been uninstalling skype preview every time now right off the bat. Probably will until it's out of the preview stage.

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
Odd, just caught up on this. Since I restored about two (three?) weeks ago, I've seen very few issues.

There ate still memory leaks, which make me want to reboot every few days, and Starbucks won't login, but nothing major.

Sent from mTalk

zmancb7

Nov 30, 2016
Visit site
my old x3 (returned) and new x3 have both froze when texting and using the windows hello.

So far (day 2 with my new x3) it's been minimal, only once or twice. I'm starting to get really worried about this. I've turned off both iris and fingerprint for now and no issues yet.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I've only experienced one week where I had issues with my x3, back in November. I could not pinpoint the cause but it was crashing almost every hour for about 6 hours. WDRT fixed that, been fine since. I'm curious if anyone here experiencing random freezes, hangs or crashes on their X3 running production (non-insider build) are using an sd card? I've known and also read recently on another post where apps using the sd card can tend to be finicky or cause anomalies themselves. I've never put an sd card in my x3 yet as I don't really need it yet and wondering if there's a correlation.

chsoriano

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
So I have been running my X3 on the production build for almost a week. I haven't had any issues with the device freezing when texting, or the constant reboots. Some things I have changed:
1. Obviously, on RS1 (not on an Insider build)
2. I am not using the Skype Preview app - It is installed but I never launched the app

I do have an SD card in the device, but that was in the device when I was having problems on the inside builds as well. I have noticed that occasionally the device acts weird for a few seconds (unresponsive), and I get a message about how to safely remove a micro SD card in the future. I can't tell what triggers this but something makes the device think the card has been removed. Once this happens, I have to restart before I can use the micro SD card.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
If this helps anybody...I've reset my x3 twice with WDRT since I bought it. First time due to crashing/reboots. Second time I was planning to sell it (but didn't 🙂). Each time I was never using an sd card. Still not. I unchecked to use skype during the setup process and did not restore from backup. Each time I went ahead and uninstalled Skype preview even if it was unnecessary.

EDIT: Each user is different, so what works for one person may not work for another, so it's subjective in that way. I can understand the disappointment and frustration in having to deal with those issues on a new device. In between the first reset and up to now, I've had zero big issues and almost no issues at all.

zmancb7

Nov 30, 2016
Visit site
this is my post on the HP support forum for the elite x3:

So I got a hold of HP suppot today and it was not easy.

First off, the online chat feature had me waiting #1 in the queue for over 2 hours. I tried calling but the Elite x3 wasn't listed as an option. So after being on hold for way too long, I called a different product's department and the guy there transferred me to someone who finally helped.

Good news HP is trying to make this issue right. I think it's related to the SIM card. I don't know how many of you are on AT&T but that is my carrier. Although I replaced my SIM card last week, and have a 2nd replacement x3, the phone continued to freeze randomly, but consistently.

I was told to start eliminating variables since they're not really aware of this issue. Keep calling and make them aware. First step, do a hard reset, flash your device using WDRT, get the AU for the latest Windows Mobile build, and DON'T LOGIN WITH YOUR MICROSOFT ACCOUNT. DON'T INSTALL NEW APPS.

YES IT SUCKS BUT DON'T DO IT. (unless this is your only phone I suppose)

For me, this kind of defeats the purpose of having the phone but whatever I'll try it. Currently, I followed all those steps, and am running the device as it came from the box with the latest firmware and OS updates. I will only use it for calling and texting and see if it freezes over the course of the next few days.

HP speculates (as did Microsoft) that maybe there was a bad batch of phones that had an error with the SIM card tray and something is causing this problem along with the SD card problem.

If you do have AT&T, the guy also suggested trying out a T-Mobile SIM card to see if the freezing stops as it may be a carrier issue not supporting the phone. Again, kind of defeats the purpose of this phone if I have to go out of my way to obtain a different carriers SIM. And why that would make the phone freeze is beyond me.

I will update any findings I get or that are given to me by HP support. I have linked them with posts from this forum as well as Windows Central forums to make them more aware of the issues.

Hope this helps.

***ALSO***

if you find a solution, please share it. HP and the rest of us having trouble would love to know.

Thank you!

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
this is my post on the HP support forum for the elite x3:

So I got a hold of HP suppot today and it was not easy.

First off, the online chat feature had me waiting #1 in the queue for over 2 hours. I tried calling but the Elite x3 wasn't listed as an option. So after being on hold for way too long, I called a different product's department and the guy there transferred me to someone who finally helped.

Good news HP is trying to make this issue right. I think it's related to the SIM card. I don't know how many of you are on AT&T but that is my carrier. Although I replaced my SIM card last week, and have a 2nd replacement x3, the phone continued to freeze randomly, but consistently.

I was told to start eliminating variables since they're not really aware of this issue. Keep calling and make them aware. First step, do a hard reset, flash your device using WDRT, get the AU for the latest Windows Mobile build, and DON'T LOGIN WITH YOUR MICROSOFT ACCOUNT. DON'T INSTALL NEW APPS.

YES IT SUCKS BUT DON'T DO IT. (unless this is your only phone I suppose)

For me, this kind of defeats the purpose of having the phone but whatever I'll try it. Currently, I followed all those steps, and am running the device as it came from the box with the latest firmware and OS updates. I will only use it for calling and texting and see if it freezes over the course of the next few days.

HP speculates (as did Microsoft) that maybe there was a bad batch of phones that had an error with the SIM card tray and something is causing this problem along with the SD card problem.

If you do have AT&T, the guy also suggested trying out a T-Mobile SIM card to see if the freezing stops as it may be a carrier issue not supporting the phone. Again, kind of defeats the purpose of this phone if I have to go out of my way to obtain a different carriers SIM. And why that would make the phone freeze is beyond me.

I will update any findings I get or that are given to me by HP support. I have linked them with posts from this forum as well as Windows Central forums to make them more aware of the issues.

Hope this helps.

***ALSO***

if you find a solution, please share it. HP and the rest of us having trouble would love to know.

Thank you!
Another thought...Did you call AT&T and have them register the imei of that x3 to your phone number/account?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon