Explorer Mode Questions

jlangner

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
I have been using Run Mode for daily strolls around neighboorhood (Couple miles) so wanted to try explorer mode. Couple questions:

1) Watch mode is grayed out on off. Anyway to turn on?
2) GPS seems to be always in auto save mode on explorer, anyway to turn off and have always on. Since my walks are 45 minutes, battery not really an issue?

Thanks

Nate Silver

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site
I don't see any way to configure gps differently while on the explore tile. Looks like battery saving mode is the only option there. You can give it a try and see how the track looks. If its too bad, I guess continuing to use the Run tile for short walks would be the best solution.

mkg3

Jan 8, 2015
Visit site
How do you drop points of interest?

I thought it was supposed to tell you the points of interest.

Did I get that wrong?

It would be much more informative and meaningful if it gave you heads up and let you know what's about to come up, in terms of POI. After all, it knows where you are and the direction you're headed....

demusss

Jan 6, 2016
Visit site
its all under the support page for the tiles and various other things but i don't even see the points of interest on there.

Thanks Brian didn't know about the support pages.

Points of interest are mentioned by the text is incorrect. This is what it says

" During your hike, you can change which hike stats display and their order on your Band by pressing the action button. A map of your progress will appear. You can swipe to see other stats such as time of day, duration, elevation gain, and calories. To add a point of interest, press the action button and tap*Yes*to confirm."

For a start pressing the action button pauses the band instead of changing the order of things and like devbent says double pressing the action button adds a poi.

devbent

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site
Thanks Brian didn't know about the support pages.

Points of interest are mentioned by the text is incorrect. This is what it says

" During your hike, you can change which hike stats display and their order on your Band by pressing the action button. A map of your progress will appear. You can swipe to see other stats such as time of day, duration, elevation gain, and calories. To add a point of interest, press the action button and tap*Yes*to confirm."

For a start pressing the action button pauses the band instead of changing the order of things and like devbent says double pressing the action button adds a poi.

Oops! Thank you for the heads up.

lstar337

May 26, 2016
Visit site
I don't see any way to configure gps differently while on the explore tile. Looks like battery saving mode is the only option there. You can give it a try and see how the track looks. If its too bad, I guess continuing to use the Run tile for short walks would be the best solution.
Is this why my routes are always so coarse?

I have been doing short (1h) walks during my lunch breaks at work, and the gps route is fairly wild. It doesn't follow roads on the map and often takes huge leaps which means parts get missed.

I always used to get good results using the run tile for walks, but I really like the features of this explore tile.

Maybe we can request that microsoft make the power save mode optional for the explore tile, just like it is on the run tile.

devbent

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site
So devbent, are you part of Microsoft? Only reason i ask is i se the logo with a check and its sorta correlated with the support people

Hi Brian,

I'm the developer lead for the Microsoft Band UI team. I'm here as outreach to the community and to help create a knowledge base around Microsoft Band. A lot of what I do is take feedback from users, discover pain points, and help get input on what my team should be focusing on next! This is also why I love pointing people to our UserVoice, since it helps my team keep track of requests, such as lstar337's!

lstar337

May 26, 2016
Visit site
Hi Brian,

I'm the developer lead for the Microsoft Band UI team. I'm here as outreach to the community and to help create a knowledge base around Microsoft Band. A lot of what I do is take feedback from users, discover pain points, and help get input on what my team should be focusing on next! This is also why I love pointing people to our UserVoice, since it helps my team keep track of requests, such as lstar337's!
Well I'm glad my feedback has been noted, and I'm really impressed with the work that you and your team are doing. I have only had my band a short time, but it's such a great product. My OH was inspired (by my band) to get a fitbit, but while she is generally happy, I don't think it even compares in terms of features.

While we are looking at features for the explore tile, I also liked the way the run tile logged areas where you were moving faster or slower, but maybe that is taking it all too far. Would love to see the GPS logging frequency increased though.

Brian Gobrecht

May 20, 2013
Visit site
devbent,

First i want to say thanks for all the hard work and dedication on your teams part. Everything perhaps a few snags has gone very successful. Just keep doing excellent work and make it better then before. Love the faster charging feature i'm experiencing.

Thanks,
B

lstar337

May 26, 2016
Visit site
So is there any confirmation on whether the GPS tracking frequency will be adjusted on explore mode?

My routes are looking terrible, missing out huge chunks of my walk!

It seems to be only useful for very long, very slow walks.

I think I will have to go back to using the run tile.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes