Wifi error in Lumia 650?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

wifi error in lumia 650?

My brand new lumia 650 is randomly disconnecting from wifi Connection. reconnects when i do a soft restart. then disconnects again, lasting from 3-6 hours.
Anyone heard of this?

abhishek singh21

Apr 27, 2014
Visit site
Re: wifi error in lumia 650?

My brand new lumia 650 is randomly disconnecting from wifi Connection. reconnects when i do a soft restart. then disconnects again, lasting from 3-6 hours.
Anyone heard of this?

perform a hard reset . maybe that can fix the issue. it can also happen that your wifi router is a failure?? many routers seems to reboot the connection in a while 3-6 hours. same as yours.

Dominic Stratten

Mar 20, 2016
Visit site

I'm having a similar issue with a brand new Lumia 550 - not sure if it is the same issue as yours but mine will be fine for a few hours then lose the connection.

If I try and reconnect, it will fail. I can see the connection but it won't connect.

If I try and connect to a secondary access point it will fail as well (different router).

Rebooting the phone (power off and restart) will cure the problem for a few hours then it will fail again.

Not a good first impression of this generation of Lumia phones. My older 625 has a rock solid internet connection with no issues.

jorgenmacdonald

Mar 21, 2016
Visit site

thanks for Your replies.
abhishek singh21 : i have done a hard reset, the problem continues. I even did a full re-install With no luck...
Dominic Stratten: Your problem pretty much sums up mine as well. I haven't tried it on another network, i will do that within the next couple of days. I will let you know how it goes. However, it has been stable on the wifi now for 24 hours...
Do you guys know if it's possible to contact the makers (Microsoft) regarding this? and if so who and where to contact.
I guess i'm urging to find out wether if it's my network or my phone.
Anyway, hoping for a fix soon :)
Thanks again guys.

jorgenmacdonald

Mar 21, 2016
Visit site

spoke to support at Microsoft just now. they are advicing me to run the "Windows Device recovery tool". i will try that soon. if that doesn't work they told me to send it back to the shop so they could perform service on it...

Michael Horton1

Mar 25, 2016
Visit site
I THINK I HAVE SOLVED THE PROBLEM.
simply go to wifi then wifi sense and turn off "connect to suggested open hotspots"
also turn off "connect to networks shared by my contacts"
i have had this problem for ages losing wifi connection sometimes 6 times a day
since i turned these setting off it has not happened i am only on day 2 though so its still a theory
good luck guys
Mike
p.s sorry about grammar and spellings

jorgenmacdonald

Mar 21, 2016
Visit site
I ended up not finding a fix for my issue, so I'm back With my Lumia 640.
Not a great loss, but very annoying. I'm waiting for the shop to refund the 650.
I'll wait for the next release maybe.

Cheers
Jorgen

Colenbrander

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site

It happens frequently. I figured out that the wifi problem stops when you turn of location. Strangely enough, i noticed after a few days without location on, that re-enabling it does not bring the wifi problem back.

romant56

Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I was having this problem on two different phones (including my Cricket 650) and Michael Horton 1's advice above seems to have fixed it. Basically I just turned off every option under "Wi-Fi Sense" and "Manage" in the Wi-Fi part of Settings. Just like him I was having the problem constantly but it's been a whole day now with a steady and consistent connection.

EDIT: This solution did NOT work. See my post below for the real answer about auto-switching channels and widths.

Last edited:

cpyne

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site

I had a similar problem with my old Lumia 822 and my Verizon router. I ended up calling Verizon and stretching the truth a bit and saying ALL devices were dropping connections. They sent me a replacement router and the problem never happened again. Was it the phone? Router? Both? Who knows, but if you have a rented router, consider sending it back and rule that out

romant56

Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Ok, I finally figured out the solution to my wifi problem! My solution above did not work - I'll try to edit that post. I have a TP-Link Archer C5 router. The 5ghz band on it has always worked fine. I've only ever had to use the 2.4ghz band with this phone (it can't see 5ghz networks), and it was a problem with that band, not the phone. It seems that the problem had to do with the router switching channels and widths automatically. Some just wouldn't work or would work very poorly. I changed the router settings to only use the 20mhz width (not 40), and to only use channel 11 (you can pick whatever channel seems less cluttered to you - try Wifi Analyzer app). I now have a great connection on my 650 thoughout my house - the way it should work.

If this is not the real solution I'll edit this post, but I am very confident with the drastically improved results so far.

(I'm not sure that both the channel and width settings had to be switched from auto. It may just be one or the other but I didn't try to isolate the problem any further.)

EDIT: 9/19/2016 I don't think this solution works. I now just keep my router on all the default settings and I still have occasional issues. But the news today is that we're soon getting new firmware with wifi fixes! Hopefully that will help.

Last edited:

Giorgio Loi

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
This a workaround, not a solution, because it (maybe) works only when you are at home connected to your router. What about public hotspots or when you are at your friends house, or in the office? In this scenario you can't change the router settings. It is a Lumia 650 problem because other phones work without changing the router configuration... I hope MS is reading these hundreds threads on the internet about this problem and they release a firmware update asap.

scampo

Jun 23, 2016
Visit site
This a workaround, not a solution, because it (maybe) works only when you are at home connected to your router. What about public hotspots or when you are at your friends house, or in the office? In this scenario you can't change the router settings. It is a Lumia 650 problem because other phones work without changing the router configuration... I hope MS is reading these hundreds threads on the internet about this problem and they release a firmware update asap.

Is your problem continuing as mine is? I've tried every suggestion here, but to no avail. My wife's Lumia 640 seems okay but my 650 drops WiFi most often if I leave the house then return. It will not reconnect without being turned off then on.

It's quite infuriating that Microsoft are doing nothing about it. I am thinking they have maybe given up on mobile phones, to be honest.

Niklas Ivarsson

Jul 27, 2016
Visit site
Had issues even connect to company wifi but found a setting in Internet sharing, allow other devices to activate Internet sharing, is this feature new?
Anyway, seems like it solved the issue with corporate wifi *hold my thumbs*

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon