03-23-2016 04:56 AM
70 123
tools
    It won't show you on that screen. Here's how to test:

- Pick a ring, reboot phone.
    - Re-open app
    - Instead of re-picking a ring again, tap "..." and open settings
    - Check the About screen
    - It'll show you which ring the device is currently configured for.
    Thanks for the instructions. I would have NEVER thought about checking configuration status in the about screen. Anyways, I'll give my phone a reset later if the issue hasn't been resolved.
    12-08-2015 12:39 PM
    wp_ss_20151208_0001.jpg

Huh, TH2? (Threshold? :D)
    Also I deleted some stuff. IDK which ones are safe to share haha.
    12-08-2015 12:41 PM
    It won't show you on that screen. Here's how to test:

- Pick a ring, reboot phone.
    - Re-open app
    - Instead of re-picking a ring again, tap "..." and open settings
    - Check the About screen
    - It'll show you which ring the device is currently configured for.
    Thank you! That rules out the app. It shows I'm in the fast ring.

wp_ss_20151208_0001.jpg
    Last edited by Mark Kaplan; 12-08-2015 at 07:07 PM.
    12-08-2015 01:02 PM
    So I checked my MDM settings and disabling/enabling the SD card allowed it to start working.

I performed a factory reset (from Settings > About) and restored my backup made minutes prior. As soon as the phone booted back in I checked regional settings and the keyboard actually downloaded and prompted for a restart in Phone Update.
    Restarted and checked for updates and the new update is showing up straight away.

I recommend creating a backup, reset phone, restore backup, update!
    12-08-2015 10:06 PM
    Did a hard reset because I wasn't seeing it and I must say after the update to .29 and waiting until everything installs this phone is much better!
    12-08-2015 10:36 PM
    Also one of the victims of this no update business.... sucks because I do want to try out the new build
    12-09-2015 01:27 AM
    Hoping they can resolve this. I really don't want to do a restore.
    12-09-2015 08:09 AM
    Yesterday of the day before had an article in Windows Central stating the carriers was holding
    up the new update (29). for the 950 series. Checking with the carrier may have you go through
    several people and still won't find the answer.
    I never received the November update that went out to some people, but not everyone. It has to
    be the way Microsoft coded the update that some phones didn't get it. They offered a tool to
    force it, but last time I forced an update in that fashion I had to go back to the default and rebuild
    it to get the update, which took several hours out of my day.
    12-10-2015 08:47 AM
    would it be possible for other users who have the new load running on their 950XL say what region of the world they are in.
    I'm in the US.

Did a Reset, restored backup and then it worked.
    12-10-2015 08:59 AM
    Yesterday of the day before had an article in Windows Central stating the carriers was holding
    up the new update (29). for the 950 series. Checking with the carrier may have you go through
    several people and still won't find the answer.
    I never received the November update that went out to some people, but not everyone. It has to
    be the way Microsoft coded the update that some phones didn't get it. They offered a tool to
    force it, but last time I forced an update in that fashion I had to go back to the default and rebuild
    it to get the update, which took several hours out of my day.
    I'm not sure where you got that from but the Windows Central article talked about how Microsoft now BYPASSES the carriers.
    12-10-2015 09:11 AM
    I'm in the US.

Did a Reset, restored backup and then it worked.
    That is the only known fix so far.
    12-10-2015 09:11 AM
    Update from Jason:
    "As promised, here's the next update:
    We've identified the root cause of the issue, including why it's happening on some devices and not others. It's not country specific, language specific, or even single/dual SIM related. Quite honestly it's luck of the draw. I can't go into too much detail/specifics yet, but do know that we've identified what's going on.
    Next steps? Creating a solution. There's a few different ideas being worked through right now on how to move forward. As is well documented, doing a hard reset will bypass the issue, but we're working to see if it's possible to work through this without having to do a reset. We're working to find a path of "least pain" so-to-speak.
    There was also a question on whether this was Insider specific or if this affects normal Retail users as well. It's both. Again, it's pure luck of the draw as to whether any particular device has this bug or not.
    I know the waiting is difficult, but know we're working diligently on this. I'll reiterate an earlier comment I made and again say thank you. Your help and research is greatly appreciated.
    More to come as I get additional details.
    - Jason"
    12-10-2015 12:40 PM
    I ended up doing a hard reset. That is the only confirmed fix so far. Just completing restore now. Took about 2 hours total process.
    12-10-2015 08:20 PM
    I heard a rumor that on some device a temp folder is not created during setup....
    12-11-2015 05:34 AM
    I did as many others. Took a backup. Hard reset. Restored. It was actually less painful than I thought it was going to be.
    Mark Kaplan likes this.
    12-11-2015 06:54 AM
    I'm considering it, but I haven't been home enough to be able to re download everything. I'd like to see them resolve it properly. My wife's phone was not in the insider program at all and she didn't get the public push either.
    12-11-2015 07:12 AM
    Given the problem is an identified configuration issue, I decided the hard reset was a safer approach for me. I prefer to have everything as it should be by reset rather than applying patches. So far so good. Did a full restore and everything looks good!
    12-11-2015 08:36 AM
    I've just buy a lumia 950 and have the language package proble. Cant use cortana either. What i should do How i can do de hard reset?
    12-23-2015 11:43 AM
    Hi,

I'm on 14291.1001 - I seem to be getting the same error as everyone else.
    With a lumia 950xl, when ever i go to the Windows Insider, the phone reboots after selecting a ring -- but no update.

Was this never fixed? :(
    03-22-2016 08:29 PM
    ph360, if you are in the fast ring and on 14291, you are having two choices:
    - wait until there is a build fixing it
    - reset device with WDRT and go back to TH branch. Stay out of the RS branch (so slow or preprod ATM, but this can and will change) and update it until you are at 10586.164.

mymarcio, you are on the most current build, there is no newer OS version in the fast ring ATM. The reboot is normal. Check your setup in the about screen - but as you are on 14291, you ARE in the fast ring, otherwise you would not have it. You are not affected by this bug from a specific build from last year.

Please be aware, that the fast ring builds can and WILL have issues. It is a rough place. And it is often stated, that it is. Also, it is voluntary.
    03-23-2016 04:56 AM
70 123