Issues configuring Windows Insider on 950XL

Mark Kaplan

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Update from Jason:
"As promised, here's the next update:
We've identified the root cause of the issue, including why it's happening on some devices and not others. It's not country specific, language specific, or even single/dual SIM related. Quite honestly it's luck of the draw. I can't go into too much detail/specifics yet, but do know that we've identified what's going on.
Next steps? Creating a solution. There's a few different ideas being worked through right now on how to move forward. As is well documented, doing a hard reset will bypass the issue, but we're working to see if it's possible to work through this without having to do a reset. We're working to find a path of "least pain" so-to-speak.
There was also a question on whether this was Insider specific or if this affects normal Retail users as well. It's both. Again, it's pure luck of the draw as to whether any particular device has this bug or not.
I know the waiting is difficult, but know we're working diligently on this. I'll reiterate an earlier comment I made and again say thank you. Your help and research is greatly appreciated.
More to come as I get additional details.
- Jason"

Mark Kaplan

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I ended up doing a hard reset. That is the only confirmed fix so far. Just completing restore now. Took about 2 hours total process.

EliteMikes

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm considering it, but I haven't been home enough to be able to re download everything. I'd like to see them resolve it properly. My wife's phone was not in the insider program at all and she didn't get the public push either.

Mark Kaplan

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Given the problem is an identified configuration issue, I decided the hard reset was a safer approach for me. I prefer to have everything as it should be by reset rather than applying patches. So far so good. Did a full restore and everything looks good!

ph360

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site
I've just buy a lumia 950 and have the language package proble. Cant use cortana either. What i should do ?How i can do de hard reset?

mymarcio

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

I'm on 14291.1001 - I seem to be getting the same error as everyone else.
With a lumia 950xl, when ever i go to the Windows Insider, the phone reboots after selecting a ring -- but no update.

Was this never fixed? :(

Corwin_Amber1

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
ph360, if you are in the fast ring and on 14291, you are having two choices:
- wait until there is a build fixing it
- reset device with WDRT and go back to TH branch. Stay out of the RS branch (so slow or preprod ATM, but this can and will change) and update it until you are at 10586.164.

mymarcio, you are on the most current build, there is no newer OS version in the fast ring ATM. The reboot is normal. Check your setup in the about screen - but as you are on 14291, you ARE in the fast ring, otherwise you would not have it. You are not affected by this bug from a specific build from last year.

Please be aware, that the fast ring builds can and WILL have issues. It is a rough place. And it is often stated, that it is. Also, it is voluntary.